Saturday Night And Sunday Morning

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello. My dad and myself were extras in the film Sat night, sunday morning. I was the little girl playing hopscotch with 2 lads outside the terrace houses. lol my claim to "fame"

So true to life was Sat night/Sunday morning.........what rings true with you blokes from the film in the 60s ?  there were so many things that rang a bell for me,,, 1/ Took a Rachel Roberts look

Great days and so true to life back then......think we all had a neighbour like the one Arthur shot in the Bum........ We certainly did on Bestwood....her name was 'Fat Louie'.......and she was a

Posted Images

Can't remember the exact part of the film - I haven't seen it for a long time, but I seem to remember them going up and down some grassy hills that certainly looked like Bramcote from when I used to play there as a kid.

I must see the film again !

I don't think the last scene was in Notts. The general consensus seems to be that it was in Wembley.

This site has some great info about the film:

http://www.ciaranbrown.com/snasmlocations.html

As always, any definitive info would be welcome.

No, like I said Cliff. I don't think this part was Bramcote.

It's most likely Wembley like you said.

I wish I could remember the exact scene !

I'm working purely from memory here, but I seem to remember them being chased - or they are trying to avoid being seen.

There's a bit in the book about them getting off the bus at Wollaton and walking up Bramcote Lane and Arthur says something about picking blackberry's here when he was a kid.

I'd love to get to the bottom of this.

It's really frustrating when something sticks in your mind but you can't place it exactly.

Here's the bit in the book I was talking about:

Chapter 9

Saying good-bye to Brenda did not give Arthur much pleasure. After a subdued bus-ride to Wollaton village they walked down Bramcote Lane arm-in-arm. Wheatfields, some already close-cropped, ran before a range of low scrub-patched hills. Odours of wheat chaff in the air caused Arthur to reminisce: "I used to come up here blackberryin', when I was a young ‘un."

Interesting discussion re Bramcote Lane and the surrounds.

We lived in Mapledene Crescent, Wollaton for a couple of years after leaving ROT in 62.

What I can tell you is that the land on the south east side of Bramcote Lane from Woodbank Drive south was all wasteland with low scrub covered hills. I know this well as we acquired an old motorbike and used to ride it around the wasteland and up and down the hills (more like high mounds). Used to hide the motorbike when we were not using it but sadly, it expired half way up a hll one day and never moved again. This area was just being levelled and developed for housing when we left Wollaton. I cannot remember any wheatfields around the area.

Whilst Wollaton Vale on Google shows it extending all the way to Coventry Lane, back in the early 60s, this was not the case. Wollaton Vale commenced at Derby Road and extended to just west of Arleston Drive where it came to a dead end. The old Wollaton Vale is shown on Google and ran up to Fernwood Crescent. Bus services used to drive into Arleston Drive and then reverse back into the dead end of Wollaton Vale and park at the bus stop there.

Housing was non-existent west along the southern edge of Wollaton Vale after the petrol station next to the Hemlockstone Pub and there was no housing at all west of Humberstone Road which, incidentally, did not extend past Templeoak Drive in those days.

At the top end of the old Wollaton Vale and Fernwood Crescent, there were open fields that were accessed over an old canal (Nottingham Canal??), the same canal that ran across the top end of Moor Lane. This area at the top of the hill afforded a view across some of Wollaton. The canal seems to have now disappeared and looking at Google, most of the open fields as well.

How do I remember this??

My father built the petrol station next to Hemlockstone on the misinformation that Wollaton Vale was going to be extended within 2 years and ultimately be a feeder road to the M1 (Ha!).

Me and the local lads used the wasteland south east of Bramcote Lane for many devious activities and yes, there were blackberry bushes! Find it highly unlikely that this land was ever used for cropping.

Walked girls (one at a time!) up to the top of the old Wollaton Vale many a time on a balmy, summer evening and walked along the canal embankment. Very private and very quiet but never misbehaved. slywink

Anyone with access to old maps should be able to see the Wollaton area of the early 60s and I would like a posting of an old map if there is one with sufficient details.

Checked out on PTP and found a very interesting picture of Bramcote Lane and Wroxhan Drive intersection back in 1953 and it was dirt tracks and no houses - really made one feel old!

Whilst in PTP, found a picture of the Poughs, Wollaton in 1968. Could not say where it was and I do not recognise it but the houses are similar to those in the earlier post.

NTGM017757.jpg

House rooflines are from a different angle but same style with single chimney in centre. Taken from a hill. But where are The Ploughs????

Interesting discussion re Bramcote Lane and the surrounds.

Anyone with access to old maps should be able to see the Wollaton area of the early 60s and I would like a posting of an old map if there is one with sufficient details.

The Old Maps site have changed their format a bit, so the quality here isn't brilliant. This is the Wollaton Vale area in the early 60s, and you can see how the road stops at the canal

vale1.jpg

I am convinced the final scenes are shot at the bottom of bramcote hills...... There was a board in the distance advertising the builder who was developing the land....I think it said SISSONS...... They did develop in the area....maybe i am wrong but the debate goes on ........

I am convinced the final scenes are shot at the bottom of bramcote hills...... There was a board in the distance advertising the builder who was developing the land....I think it said SISSONS......

HG.... check this link to Wikipedia which I mentioned before http://en.wikipedia....lming_locations

According to that it was Simms Sons & Cooke which would look quite a bit like Sissons :)

They are a Nottingham company and they did the work, but they did it in London

WP not the most reliable source of information?

Why would they go all the way to London taking a Nottingham builder to mock up a building site?

There was much development in Nottingham at that time to use as sets?

There is to be an exhibition of never before exhibited 'stills' from Sat Night and Sunday Morning soon. It will be at the Djanogly Art Centre. I have the dates at home so I'll post full details later. It is on for quite a few weeks later in the year so no panick yet

I must try and get a copy of the DVD to try and trace this scene I have in my memory.

I can picture Arthur and Brenda on these grassy slopes that are so reminiscent of what we used to call 'the Hill'.

The final scene in the film is Arthur and Doreen looking out over a housing estate.

Picturethepast reckon Bramcote was in the film - but that's by no means definitive:

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM012154&pos=6&action=zoom&id=63597

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM012153&pos=7&action=zoom&id=63596

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM012152&pos=8&action=zoom&id=63595

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM012110&pos=10&action=zoom&id=63553

Interesting debate.

That site Ciaran Brown did of the locations is especially good:

http://www.ciaranbrown.com/snasmlocations.html

• Like 1

You are right Clif ton but that doesn't look like the wembley area at all, more like bramcote hills !!!!!! LOL

Trouble is, I don't really know what Bramcote Hills looks like! It's not an area I've been around much.

Seen one Hill, seen 'em all

Well.....strangely enough I was able to identify the PTP pictures immediately when I saw them.

Dunno if that's just familiarity or if it's the specific nature of the place - the sandstone cliffs, uneven rolling hills, scrub etc.

When I went back to look at the place a couple of years ago I was struck at how overgrown it was, which made me think that someone must have been cutting back stuff when we lived there. (I remember a few fires too which obviously would have helped).

The Willoughby family have opened up some of their land on the side that overlooked Wollaton and backed onto Lowes nursery. So there's more of it to walk around now.

We used to meet around 'the log' which was a felled tree which been there for years and years.

Nice place to live.

Looked more like Stapleford Hill rather than Bramcote Hills....( tis just across the road )....but thats where the rocky outcrops show up, also has the Hemlock Stone at the front of it.