Saturday Night And Sunday Morning

Dear oh dear Den,you had to go there didn't you? straight in to the gutter :o

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello. My dad and myself were extras in the film Sat night, sunday morning. I was the little girl playing hopscotch with 2 lads outside the terrace houses. lol my claim to "fame"

So true to life was Sat night/Sunday morning.........what rings true with you blokes from the film in the 60s ?  there were so many things that rang a bell for me,,, 1/ Took a Rachel Roberts look

Great days and so true to life back then......think we all had a neighbour like the one Arthur shot in the Bum........ We certainly did on Bestwood....her name was 'Fat Louie'.......and she was a

Posted Images

I was also born and bred in Nottingham and realised from a very early age that I did not want a Nottingham accent. I don't like the way the ends of words with a 'y' are dropped down, i.e. Ey yu gorrany munay. It tends to make me cringe.

Having said that I think Nottingham people are the best. They tend to make you feel welcome no matter where you are from. It is understanding them that others find difficult.

A :)

I totally agree Tutanic. I too was born & bred in Nottingham,but there are 2 nottingham accents you know?? Nottingham & NOTTINGHAM!!! I speak mine with a slight aussie accent :D

It's neither mate,we say Ustralia!! mind you who says we speak proper English,certainly not me <_<

• 3 months later...

Yeah; let's hope there'll be a Nottingham accent in the remake, instead of the usual 'soddit - it'll do' face off between whoever's available from the 'B' list in Barnes and Barnsley, trying to luvvy each other off by the adverts.

We STILL haven't had just cinemagraphic recognition as a dialect forty five years on. If I was me, I'd complain. In fact, I think I might!

The Actual Shedfixman

Being born and bred in Nottingham and married to a man who has a real Nottingham (Radford) accent I do recognise the real thing, not evident in S N/S M.

Heaven forbid I should sound like any of it, I think it is one of the worst accents you could have.

If I have upset anyone then I am sorry, this is just my opinion.

A crazy crazy

NB A friend came to see me yesterday and asked- 'ey ya gor eni munnay' this was for the shop...

• 3 months later...

Some scenes towards the end of the film show elevated shots of house building on the expanding Clifton Estate.

A large name board identifies local builders Sims, Son's and Cook who were major contactors for the site.

Did not their involvement with the project lead to their eventual bankruptcy?

Cheers

Robt P.

• 4 weeks later...

I see the next big thing in music " The Arctic Monkeys " have named there new album "Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not"

see below

Monkeys Set For Fastest Selling Album

The Arctic Monkeys' first record could become the fastest-selling debut rock album since records began, according to experts.

The band release 'Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not' on Monday (January 23). Retailer HMV claim that their pre-oders suggest demand is the highest for any debut rock act since the release of Oasis' 'Definitely Maybe' in August 1994.

The album could sell up to 200,000 in its first week. Chart expert Gennaro Castaldo said: "We might be entering the Chinese Year of the dog, but as far as the Music Industry is concerned 2006 is very much the 'year of the monkey'. We haven't seen this level of excitement for a new artist since the Britpop-heralding arrival of Oasis more than 10 years ago.

"There has been a great vibe around the Arctic Monkeys for quite a few months now, but it usually takes much longer for a band to develop mainstream appeal and the commercial success that comes with it. The Arctic Monkeys seem to have managed this in just one leap - it's amazing how much impact they have had in such a short time."

The band's second single, 'When the Sun Goes Down', looks set to go to Number One this Sunday (January 22).

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,4-2006030100,00.html

• Upvote 1

anyone planning to go ?

NEW PERSPECTIVES THEATRE COMPANY and LAKESIDE present

SATURDAY NIGHT AND SUNDAY MORNING

Thursday 2 February - Saturday 18 February

8pm

Djanogly Theatre

£10 (£7 Concessions)

Thursday 2- Saturday 8 February 8pm

Matinees Wednesday 8 & 15 February 2pm

By Alan Sillitoe

Stage Adaptation by Amanda Whittington

Alan Sillitoe’s ground-breaking picture of 1950’s Britain, as seen through the eyes of the unforgettable Arthur Seaton (immortalised on screen by Albert Finney), is now brought raging back to life and bang up-to-date in this fast-moving new stage adaptation.

Classic kitchen sink drama blended with high-energy action and a toe-tapping 1950’s-fuelled soundtrack makes this funny and heart-rending tale of the life and loves of the original angry young man a must-see for three generations.

Contains strong language and scenes of an adult nature.

Suitable for 14+ years

In collaboration with the play we will be running 'Nottingham Nights' fifty years of saturday nights and sunday mornings played out in a quirky collision of archive and contemporary photography. From Monday 13 Feb- Sunday 26 March in the Wallner Gallery. See 'exhibitions' for more details.

http://www.lakesidearts.org.uk/events/more...e=641&c=4&d=758

• 6 months later...

Just to add a bit about locations that were not in Nottingham.

To start with the closing scenes on the grassy slope above the housing estate.

The following passage is from an article in the Nottingham Evening News dated 30th March 1960:

Filming has been going on mainly at Twickenham, and several Nottingham firms have helped the film men with items bearing the local trademark—from laundry bags to beer signs. The building firm of Messrs. Simms, Sons and Cooke last weekend sent a lorry with siteboards, site hut and other equipment so that a Wembley building site would look like one in Nottingham.

Secondly, some filming was done along Culvert Road in Battersea. The scene where Peter Madden throws a mug through an undertakers shop window, with a pub named the British Flag in the background. The pub is still there. The following scene where a train passes on a viaduct is also along Culvert Road looking the other way - you can see the pub on the left hand side of the road. Also, where AF rounds a corner just prior to being attacked - that was filmed outside the British Flag pub.

In the film, the road name on the pub wall was Sheepcote Lane, and this matches London maps at that time. However, that part of Sheepcote Lane was subsequently re-named Rowditch Lane.

The locations are discussed at length in the Britmovieforum at:

http://www.britmovie.co.uk/forums/location...g-location.html

where you can see an image (a scan of a photograph that I took about 20 years ago) of the British Flag pub, and also a link to a local site that provides numerous contemporary newspaper cuttings with information about locations.

• 2 weeks later...
  B) Didn't he work for Raliegh in the film and was it the White Horse public house they used for the drinking scenes, bottom of Ilkiston road and faraday road B)

Took this the other day it's the White Horse pub and the new student flats Silitoe Court and the sculptor is an old Raleigh bike !

It's great shot of the Horse - let's hope it gets left alone, as it's one of the best tiled Vic boozers left in Nottm.

My old man was works convenor for the union there when the film was being made; I wonder if the filmakers took some attitude away with them as well as cans? I recall him telling me that the fave friday neet trick after work was to wait for the tap room to get jiving, then quietly let a bagfull of ball bearings go across the lino floor. Then watch all the jackthelads break their necks all over the shop and try not to laff. The birds were safe because they all wore stilettos and the blokes usually fetched all the drinks. Then I look at me own behaviour at work - eg loosening the gluegun nozzles by a quarter turn, so's the unsuspecting gluer then plasters imsen and the entire postcode with indelible grey cack.

Oh, well! The march of progress!

Shed (Hope yer all well, olse I'll get bollocked by Caz for not askin!)

• 6 months later...

Admin, you say you were an electrician in the `60s. Did you perchance fly model aircraft and enjoy watching the wrestling at the baths in 62 and 63?

Regards Andrew Cole.

• 1 year later...

Where Arthur Seaton lived (and where the kids ran to the corner shop and Mrs next door was shot in the *rs*) was Salisbury Street. This is close to the old Raleigh entrance on Faraday Lane where Arthur and Bert are seen cycling home.

Aunt Ada (Hilda Baker) lived on Willoughby Street (where Brenda's abortion was performed). This is next to the Savoy picture house on Derby Road where Arthur took Shirley Ann Field on the first date.

Brenda (Rachel Roberts) lived on Norton Street, at the Player's end. Her husband is seen driving his motorbike and sidecar through the adjacent arch.

Aunt Ada fell over and broke the bottle of port on Denman Street near Norton Street.

Arthur and Bert (Norman Rossington) go fishing down Trent Lane (later Lenton Lane, now gone). As they cycle over the bridge and down the canal path there are 3 boys on 10 speed bikes watching. 2 of them were Roy Westerby and Bill Staniforth (school friends of mine).

One of the pub scenes was in the Shippo's pub on Ilkeston Road near Bloomsgrove Street (now gone).

Louise Dunn (Bert's girlfriend) was actually quite popular at the time, she played a leading role in a Soap called Compact.

I believe the final scene is at Clifton as they were building the Clifton Estate, overlooking Nottingham.

Yes, I'm sure it was filmed overlooking the emerging Clifton Estate.

Clearly visible in the scene is the hoarding of Simms, Sons & Cooke who were a main building contractor on the site.

Their seemingly lucrative Clifton contract eventually led to their bankruptcy, as I've previously posted in the Forum.

Cheers

Robt P.