Saturday Night And Sunday Morning

Thanks Cliff ton re Post #88.

That map shows the old Wollaton Vale that intersects up the top of the hill with Ferndale Crescent. It was a dirt footpath from there to the canal embankment.

Interestingly, although the map is early 60s?, it does not show the current Wollaton Vale extending past the intersection with Bramcote Lane. In 62, it definitely was a made, bitumen road which came to a dead end just past Alfreston Drive. The housing west of Bramcote Lane across to the canal is just about right; as is the housing on the eastern side of BL.

Regarding the PTP picture I posted earlier of a view of The Poughs in Wollaton - does anyone know where or what the Poughs were???? (Sorry I mispelt it before as the Ploughs).

The picture is similar to another PTP posted by barclaycon - http://www.pictureth...n=zoom&id=63553

If nothing else, it brought back memories of Wollaton for a few people!

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello. My dad and myself were extras in the film Sat night, sunday morning. I was the little girl playing hopscotch with 2 lads outside the terrace houses. lol my claim to "fame"

So true to life was Sat night/Sunday morning.........what rings true with you blokes from the film in the 60s ?  there were so many things that rang a bell for me,,, 1/ Took a Rachel Roberts look

Great days and so true to life back then......think we all had a neighbour like the one Arthur shot in the Bum........ We certainly did on Bestwood....her name was 'Fat Louie'.......and she was a

Posted Images

That picture that I posted shows the sandstone cliff overlooking the public footpath which led from Sandy Lane down to Bramcote Lane. There was a cut off to the right about half way down which led to Brookside Ave I think (or it might have been Maidstone Drive) and on to Woodbank Drive.

All those houses in the picture are part of the large development in Wollaton.

You can see a fence in the picture which has land on the other side that belonged to the Willoughby's (Their house was on a hill to the right). The fence has now gone and you can walk through this land to houses which now stand on what was Lowes nursery.

Thanks barclaycon - Can place your picture now but the view is not familiar as that area was not built up in my time, just wasteland and low hills.

This pic from PTP made me feel old! Bramcote Lane in 1953 at the intersection with Wroxham!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.pictureth...M012606=

To come back to the original question which started this subject..............

Here's the bit in the book I was talking about:

Chapter 9

Saying good-bye to Brenda did not give Arthur much pleasure. After a subdued bus-ride to Wollaton village they walked down Bramcote Lane arm-in-arm. Wheatfields, some already close-cropped, ran before a range of low scrub-patched hills. Odours of wheat chaff in the air caused Arthur to reminisce: "I used to come up here blackberryin', when I was a young ‘un."

The problem with cases of "the film of the book" is that film producers often take liberties with the original plot; they re-arrange, move, ignore, or just simply change things which were in the book.

I've just run through the DVD of "Saturday Night" (not for the first time) and nowhere in it did I see a sequence which matches the one barclaycon quoted, so it seems to have been left out of the film. And also nowhere in the film did I see anything like those scenes of Bramcote Hills from Pic the Past.

They may have been mentioned in the book, but they don't seem to have made it to the screen

I must try and watch the DVD.

That pic you posted wasn't so long ago really (1953) but it looks like something from Victorian times.

I know that Bramcote Lane wasn't connected to Thoresby Road for a long time. The road just kind of petered out. A lot of the development in the area took ages to be properly sorted out i.e. estates finished, roads connected. Patches of land stood empty for years. There was an area on Sandringham Drive that had been earmarked for a pub, but it didn't get built for years until The Rose Grower sprang up. (Didn't last very long anyway). Now it's back to being empty land and has been cleared for a nursing home I believe.

(Probably already been built !)

Apart from being a great film, Saturday Night Sunday Morning did us a great favour in showing the mood of the times and a snapshot of 1959/60 Nottingham.

• 3 months later...

Only watched the film again two nights ago!

One thing that sticks out like a sore thumb is the appealing Mancunian accents sounding nothing like the Nottingham one.

The way they keep saying nowt, as opposed to note,as in nothing is the biggest giveaway.

Dead right...The word 'Duck' when used by locals is said at the same tempo as the rest of the conversation..Finney always emphasised it and it just didn't come out right.

He didn't say.."Hello duck"...he said "Hello DUCK!" if you know what I mean.. ;)

If anybody is going to the Lakeside show, would you please look to see if there are any photos of Castle Boulevard in the late 50s; particularly looking for a photo of a Shell petrol station known as the Castle Rock Garage from that era.

Thanks.

Re: the exhibition which was mentioned a few posts back on this thread.

I've just discovered that if you go to another page on the Lakeside website, you can download the catalogue for the Sat Night Sun Morn exhibition and get a full-size look at many of the photos and captions (including the one showing Boyd's of Long Row, mentioned in another thread)

Click on the catalogue cover in the middle of this page http://www.lakesidea...tion-Guide.html

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

When they were filming Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, the Nottingham Panthers had their annual dance at the Sherwood Rooms. I went and saw Shirley Ann Field and Norman Rossington hand out the prizes/trophies.

I AGREE bilboro,did you see her in 'Last of summer wine'? shes had a bit of botox though,

• 5 months later...

I was in the part filmed on Norton St ridding from Players to Hartley Rd on bike (motor bike and side car came from Hartley Rd and under a arch) I lived on Cambridge St then

Does that mean you are one of the two kids on bikes here? This is almost the last frame before the bike disappears under the arch (on the left, next to the word Reisz)

bike-2.jpg

• Upvote 1