Saturday Night And Sunday Morning

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello. My dad and myself were extras in the film Sat night, sunday morning. I was the little girl playing hopscotch with 2 lads outside the terrace houses. lol my claim to "fame"

So true to life was Sat night/Sunday morning.........what rings true with you blokes from the film in the 60s ?  there were so many things that rang a bell for me,,, 1/ Took a Rachel Roberts look

Great days and so true to life back then......think we all had a neighbour like the one Arthur shot in the Bum........ We certainly did on Bestwood....her name was 'Fat Louie'.......and she was a

Posted Images

I was one of the extras in the film. I was collared by some of the crew when walking across Slab Square and more or less told that I was needed to take part in a film. I was then frogmarched to the lions, told to climb onto the left one and then wait. After about half an hour a camera crew appeared then some people having an argument (I assume these were the actors) and that was it. They all packed up and went. I was given ten bob (I think) and off I went as well. I don't think I was in the final cut!

• 4 months later...

In a similar vein; has anyone read the John Harvey books about the rozzer "Resnick"? I've read them all.They're set mainly in Radford, but there are lots of areas in Nottm. I remember the Polish Airforce Club in Sherwood Rise.

My old English teacher at High Pavement, Stanley Middleton, was another local author, described, like Alan Sillitoe, as the new DH Lawrence.

• Like 1

The Polish Club on Clumber Avenue on Sherwood Rise was almost opposite where I lived on Second Avenue. Very cheap booze and some riotous good times there, and not very far to stagger home!

• Like 1

Just finished "Saturday Night and Sunday Morning” again on Audio  books (it isn’t long enough) and finished a “Start in Life” on the beach week before last. 

Who wrote the Resnick books?

Just got it - John Harvey 

• Like 1

I was looking for the book I read in the late 60’s that referred to New Bridge, keeping pigs and butcher coming round to kill them and use up all the carcass, when some one recommended "Start in Life” which I read while on holiday.

I think the story Im looking for is in his book of short stories 

I just checked John Harvey and he has “Cold in Hand” on Audio books. I usually have a couple of books on the go; one on audio during bike rides and one for the evenings with a glass

• Like 1
7 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Albert & Shirley on the left lioncover-_SNSM-224x307.jpg 

.....or even the right lion?   (My favourite - yes, iknow I'm in the minority!)

• Like 2
  • 5 months later...
On 11/29/2004 at 10:16 PM, Brian D said:

Parts were filmed in Bulwell - the house which was featured still stands.

The "dropping off the trolleybus" shot was taken as the bus came DOWN Derby Road, outside what was Pullman's the Furnishers.

I realise this is a bit late but Albert Finney was dropping off the bus on his way to town opposite at what was hooleys car showroom. It was a city bound bus out of bilborough depot. Could have one of 16,32,30 or 62. Just to throw a bit in, I was an extra in the film, at the opening credits. I earned more in twenty minutes than a weeks work ! B.

• Like 2
On 11/29/2004 at 10:16 PM, Brian D said:

Parts were filmed in Bulwell - the house which was featured still stands.

The "dropping off the trolleybus" shot was taken as the bus came DOWN Derby Road, outside what was Pullman's the Furnishers.

Although that quote is from 14 years ago, I don't think it's too late to point out that it's almost certainly wrong. I'm not aware of any scenes in SNSM being shot in Bulwell.

However.....large parts of "Ragman's Daughter"  - also by Alan Sillitoe - were filmed in Bulwell.

10 hours ago, Beekay said:

I realise this is a bit late but Albert Finney was dropping off the bus on his way to town opposite at what was hooleys car showroom. It was a city bound bus out of bilborough depot. Could have one of 16,32,30 or 62. Just to throw a bit in, I was an extra in the film, at the opening credits. I earned more in twenty minutes than a weeks work ! B.

Whoops, made a mistake ! After watching the film again,(s.n.s.m) it shows Albert Finney running to JUMP on a city bound bus on derby road. Which is a bit daft really, because having just left his aunt's on willouby street, the next scene Is the bus jump. He must have run all the way up derby road and down the other side. Thing is, it was only going two more stops. B.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, catfan said:

Been down town & picked up a new bluray version in HD of Saturday Night & Sunday Morning for £6 at HMV !

We bought the beautiful hardback book about the film when we went to the exhibition at Lakeside a few years ago, a BluRay disc was included.  

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I see Albert Finney has died. He was a good actor, despite sounding more like Len Fairclough in this film.

Nottingham accent is not easy. It's not a musical accent like Newcastle, Birmingham or Cornwall and it's defeated many a thespian!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 6/10/2008 at 8:03 PM, Frank said:

I've taken your excellent advice Rob, ( :biggrin: ) but I think the railway stations you refer to are slightly outside of my memory parameters.

Although I was born, at a very early age, in Bulwell, I was 'matured' in Broxtowe.

Most of my childhood trips to Bulwell were for trips to the Lido. The 55 used to pick us up at the bottom of Bradfield Road (a few doors down from our house) and drop us at the top of Camberley Road (the Terminus) - well before the link road to the motorway was 'cut'

A shot in the dark. Frank, if your still on here, can you tell me whereabouts up from 55bus stop you lived ? My missus used to live next to the bus stop, with her front garden next to it. I used to drive buses out of bilborough depot and driven the 55 route many times. Tina used to live there until we married in 1965. Beekay.

Frank no longer posts on here, haven't seen him anywhere else in years BK.