admin

Saturday Night And Sunday Morning

Blimey I lived in a flat on the corner of Salisbury Street & Middleton Street 71 to 75 and never heard about that, no wonder the police looked at me sideways when I applied to renew my firearms certificate.

45 minutes ago, Carisma said:

Where the old lady was shot with the rifle.

Beaconsfield Terrace my Grandad lived next one up Butler Terrace.

Wasn't it in the film, the lady was shot in the rear end?

Yes it was KJ.  I have to confess to getting a laugh out of it.  She did really have it coming.  Wasn't that the lady that played Ena Sharples in Coronation Street.

Violet Carson played Ena sharples, don't think it was her.

I was one of the extras in the film. I was collared by some of the crew when walking across Slab Square and more or less told that I was needed to take part in a film. I was then frogmarched to the lions, told to climb onto the left one and then wait. After about half an hour a camera crew appeared then some people having an argument (I assume these were the actors) and that was it. They all packed up and went. I was given ten bob (I think) and off I went as well. I don't think I was in the final cut!

Couldn't swear to it Waddo.  Maybe somebody else can fill in the blank.  Sure looked like Ena if I remember rightly.

Thanks for that.  I think I just got the idea from way back when.  There is certainly a resemblance to Ena, but the photo does show some differences in the face.

When women wore those things on their head (is it classed as a hat ?)  it made them all look the same !

• Like 1

Turban, to hide the rollers, usually.

In a similar vein; has anyone read the John Harvey books about the rozzer "Resnick"? I've read them all.They're set mainly in Radford, but there are lots of areas in Nottm. I remember the Polish Airforce Club in Sherwood Rise.

My old English teacher at High Pavement, Stanley Middleton, was another local author, described, like Alan Sillitoe, as the new DH Lawrence.

• Like 1

Have a dig round frank..we have discussed him a good few times 

Type in Resnick and hit the magnifying glass..some good memories.

• Like 1

The Polish Club on Clumber Avenue on Sherwood Rise was almost opposite where I lived on Second Avenue. Very cheap booze and some riotous good times there, and not very far to stagger home!

• Like 1

Just finished "Saturday Night and Sunday Morning” again on Audio  books (it isn’t long enough) and finished a “Start in Life” on the beach week before last. 

Who wrote the Resnick books?

Just got it - John Harvey 

• Like 1

Love Start in Life...the motorway journey.. we have all done it.

Peveril Street is mentioned.

I was looking for the book I read in the late 60’s that referred to New Bridge, keeping pigs and butcher coming round to kill them and use up all the carcass, when some one recommended "Start in Life” which I read while on holiday.

I think the story Im looking for is in his book of short stories 

I just checked John Harvey and he has “Cold in Hand” on Audio books. I usually have a couple of books on the go; one on audio during bike rides and one for the evenings with a glass

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Albert & Shirley on the left lioncover-_SNSM-224x307.jpg 

.....or even the right lion?   (My favourite - yes, iknow I'm in the minority!)

• Like 2