admin

Saturday Night And Sunday Morning

Sounds like Wifred Pickles.  :biggrin:   He's been gone a long time now.  I still rember him telling Mabel to "Give 'im the money." on that variety show he used to have.

On 6/10/2008 at 8:03 PM, Frank said:

I've taken your excellent advice Rob, ( :biggrin: ) but I think the railway stations you refer to are slightly outside of my memory parameters.

Although I was born, at a very early age, in Bulwell, I was 'matured' in Broxtowe.

Most of my childhood trips to Bulwell were for trips to the Lido. The 55 used to pick us up at the bottom of Bradfield Road (a few doors down from our house) and drop us at the top of Camberley Road (the Terminus) - well before the link road to the motorway was 'cut'

A shot in the dark. Frank, if your still on here, can you tell me whereabouts up from 55bus stop you lived ? My missus used to live next to the bus stop, with her front garden next to it. I used to drive buses out of bilborough depot and driven the 55 route many times. Tina used to live there until we married in 1965. Beekay.

Frank no longer posts on here, haven't seen him anywhere else in years BK.

Thanks Ayup., I figured it was a wild shot in the dark, but ta for responding. B.

I can't even recall his last name, it's been so long now, he wanted to move to Florida to start an A/C business, which he had in the UK, but immigration told him he'd need $5 million in the bank before they'd even look at his papers.

So true to life was Sat night/Sunday morning.........what rings true with you blokes from the film in the 60s ?  there were so many things that rang a bell for me,,,

1/ Took a Rachel Roberts look a like up the Castle  (excuse the Pun)

2/ Went fishing with a mate in Wollaton canal,,

3/ Fell down stairs (drunk) in a Pub in Radford...(same Pub i think )

4/ Got beat up by two blokes (sometimes it only took one,,,well mostly actually)

5/ Got in bother over an Air Gun,,,with fat woman neighbour,,,

6/ Had to Scarper,,,before a chap came home on his Combination...

And so much more,,,don't let em grind you down mi-ducks.......great days.........

• Like 3

The famous line from the film is "Whatever they say I am, that's what I'm not".

I wonder if that accurately describes you, Ben ;)

• Like 1

I thought Alan Sillitoe had written an autobiographical novel. Now we find out it was based on Ben!  Didn't know you'd lived on Norton Street, our Ben!

My lovely Cousin Carol,,lived on Norton street,, so i did have connections,,

My maternal gran lived on Norton street, but the other end.

On 11/23/2004 at 2:45 PM, Ayupmeducks said:

Parts were filmed at the Castle, Old Radford and of course Raliegh Industries when my cousin worked there.

Love to see the movie again, been years since I saw it.

Didn't they have scenes at the Goose Fair on the Forest too??

John

The film is regularly on Talking Pictures on Virgin TV - saw it myself a few weeks ago...………...still a great film to watch.

On 1/29/2019 at 5:20 PM, LizzieM said:

We bought the beautiful hardback book about the film when we went to the exhibition at Lakeside a few years ago, a BluRay disc was included.  

The film is on Talking Pictures (Virgin) quite often, I watched and recorded it along with a few other 60's oldies which I love - no need to buy it just look for it and record it......

Anybody want a DVD copy?

Beeky don't give your copy away, you never know it could end up on "Antiques Road Show"

Now !! Talking of similar  Films/stories, 

"A Kind of Loving"   Alan Bates  June Ritchie  and

just another actress who did not seem to get  credit for good acting

Thora Hird. Who played an excellent part as a sour mother in law.

NEXT

First on TV in 1966 now on DVD 

"Cathy Come Home"

it provoked major public and political discussion at the time.

I saw Cathy come home on tv when it first came out.  Mid 60s.  It scared me at the time as we'd just bought our first house with a big (to us) mortgage.  It shook me how quickly they went from relative comfort to a real mess.  Made me appreciate my job more.  I think it shook a lot of folks at the time.