Air Conditioners.

Managed without it up until now due to the cost of electricity they burn up. BUT, as we are getting older the summers are getting a little oppressive.

I found split no duct systems a couple of weeks back and I'm sold on them. I knew about heat pumps over twenty years back, but only the big ones used in whole house central heating/A/C systems, but pretty costly.

I see people are raving about the mini split systems being efficient and cheap to run, so started researching them...WAY TO GO!!

The last week has been a drain on me, with temps in the 100's F, enough is enough, I'll be installing a 24,000BTU or 28,000 BTU compressor unit with three heads, living area, office and master bedroom, should keep the whole house comfortable then.

These units also provide heat in winter, so best of both worlds!

• Like 1

Ayup, you lost me at split ducts. Totally alien language. I have make do with fan bought in Spain 40 years ago.

I stated "split NO duct"  Over here they usually install in new houses central heat and A/C, with sheet metal ducting from the main furnace to each room. The furnace can be either gas or electric. I the same system is also mounted the evaporator for the A/C.

Split no duct means the control head is mounted in the rooms you want cooled with the main compressor mounted outside on the same wall and piped through to the control head evaporator.

They are also called mini heat pumps, very sophisticated, with VFC of the compressor motor and also having a reversing valve, so that in winter the unit can derive heat from outside air and dumping it in the house via the control heads, sort of fridge in reverse.

I watched a video of a large one being installed in a UK house the other day, they had wall panels to provide the heat/cool water from a heat pump set up, that also had a hot water boiler rigged up to the system. Very interesting but not the same type I'll be buying and installing.

A video of a feller in Michigan used a two zone system, it was winter and he was  heating his house using the mini heat pump system, heavy snow outside and an infra red thermal sensor showed the heat at the control head at 140F.

I just want an air conditioner to keep us cool, summers here in Missouri can be oppressive, now I'm well into my 70's I feel the heat more. As for the reverse heating , I doubt we will use it very much as we have a wood burning stove as our primary heat source. BUT, who knows?? We may find we prefer the mini heat pump.

Oh, VFC = variable frequency control, they use it for cycling the compressor to make them efficient.

Hope that clarifies my post, I thought they were selling pretty big in the UK as well as here and across Europe.

Thanks AYUP.........Simple really BK whats ya problem.......think i;ll get a couple from Bulwell today..........

As you're not a DIY'selfer Ben, you'll need to hire a plumber/HVAC bod to install it for you, you will need an A/C manifold and vacuum pump to set it up. Can't leave air in the system .....

• Like 1

Spanner ?

Next door neighbour asked me for 'Phillips' screwdriver......told him ''don't know anyone called Phillip...........

• Like 1
1 hour ago, benjamin1945 said:

Simple really BK whats ya problem.......

Got no problem Ben, just know bugger all about central heating or air con.

Trying to educate meself a bit. Cheers !

Remember our Metalwork teacher asking a lad to ''Pass that Bastard file''............lad replied get the ''effing thing yasen''             

I know what a hardie is, used them during my first year with the NCB during training.

I see these mini air conditioners cost twice as much in Blighty than we can buy them for. I wonder why that is??

I'd forgotten about your VAT Stuart, you're taxed out of existence, we just have a state sales tax, which varies from state to state.

I was reading last night California, the land of fruit and nuts is going to slap a charge on people who have their own water wells, which is almost everyone in rural areas. Making it mandatory to fit a water meter to their well head. As if they don't pay for their water anyway, well and pump maintenance, electric costs for the pump etc..

I could have done with AC on Monday & Tuesday as I kept having mega hot flushes caused by the ADT/hormone therapy I'm on for my prostate cancer, I had 2 fans blowing on me all day & night.... We had an AC unit in our room when we were in Florida, it was noisy so we had it on full blast all day & turned it off at night, it'd start getting warm about 8/9 AM so we'd turn it on again & go down for our breakfast. The AC also had a heat setting on it, but I don't know if it was reverse cycle or just had some heating elements in it & became a big fan heater...

Window units are self contained A/C units, yeah they are noisy, so are the whole house ones near the main compressor outside. Split A/C air pumps aren't they are very quiet, the wall unit has a long squirrel cage fan, whisper quiet!!

As heat pumps they don't use heater elements, I research how they produce heating, it's from the compressor when the reversing valve is in heat mode. Imagine how hot the evaporator feels outside on the compressor unit when in cool mode, much like your fridge at the back or under the bottom. That's how they operate as heaters. I doubt anyone in Florida owns a heater, although we do joke, when you see Floridians walking in the street rugged up, you know the temps below 70F.

• Like 1

I stayed in a 1960's style Motel on route 66 a few years ago on the way back from the Canyon to my Son's house in Scotsdale AZ.

My room had a window or through wall A/C, I gave in and turned it off after a couple of hours only to then have to listen to a freight train nearby go over gaps in the rails with what seemed like hundreds of wagons behind it.

Followed by a few people who thought it was a good idea to have a splash around at 3 in the morning in the swimming pool that my room was above.

Didn't sleep much that night.