You are all too young to remember,I`m sure, but TWO brilliant films are about to be re-released on DVD in Feb 2007. They are

1. The Ragman`s Daughter

2. Saturday Night and Sunday Morning.

If you have not seen them I strongly suggest you do.

Simon Rouse (who plays the Chief Inspector in the `Bill") stars in No.1.

They can be ordered from:

CD Universe(www.cduniverse.com)

People of Nottingham,don`t miss this chance!

Alan Sillitoe was born in Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, the second son of an illiterate tannery laborer. His father, Christopher Sillitoe, became one of the long-term unemployed during the 1930s Depression. On different occasions he worked as a house painter. Once he was imprisoned for "running up bills for food that he had no hope of paying." Sillitoe's mother, Silvina (Burton) worked in a lace factory. "We lived in a room on Talbot Street whose four wall smelled of leaking gas, stale fat, and layers of mouldering wall-paper," Sillitoe has recalled.

abouttime

Hmm, I don't recall the Ragmans Daughter, BUT Saturday Night, Sunday Morning was a classic. My cousin Howard, who now resides in Victoria, Australia not too far from Caz, worked at the Raliegh when that was being made, so remembers a lot of the actors who were there at the time.

IMO, Ragman's Daughter is a better tale than SN&SM...

IIRC, an earlier version of the film featured shots taken at Whittier Road, Highbury Vale and Weekday Cross.

For those who have yet to see it, the big 'surprise' with SN&SM is that it's running time is only just over an hour!

Cheers

Robt P.

• Like 1

I thought that SN&SM had been issued on DVD before now?

The air rifle pellet in the Old Gals ar** is a classic

Alan S./SN&SM is mentioned elswhere here

Thanks for that `Red, I just wanted to share with everyone the fact that I had found (newly soon to be re-released) 2 brilliant films from my very mis-spent youth. Also I had little idea of what a brilliant and prolific writer Sillitoe was, and from such an awful beginning.

Apparently he is still putting in 12 hour days,writing!

Further works:

Selected works:

WITHOUT BEER OR BREAD, 1957

THE LONELINESS OF LONG-DISTANCE RUNNER, 1958 - (film 1962, directed by Tony Richardson, starring Michael Redgrave, Tom Courtenay, Avis Bunnage, Peter Madden, Julia Foster)

SATURDAY NIGHT AND SUNDAY MORNING, 1958 - (film 1960, directed by Karel Reisz, starring Albert Finney, Shirley Anne Field, Rachel Roberts) - Lauantai-illasta sunnuntai aamuun (suom. Erkki Haglund)

THE RATS, AND OTHER POEMS, 1960

THE GENERAL, 1960

KEY TO THE DOOR, 1961

THE RAGMAN'S DAUGHTER, 1963 - (film 1963, dir. by Harold Becker, starring Simon Rouse, Victoria Tennant, Ptrick O'Connell, Leslie Sands)

A FALLING OUT OF LOVE, AND OTHER POEMS, 1964

ROAD TO VOLGOGRAD, 1965

THE DEATH OF WILLIAN POSTER, 1965

A TREE ON FIRE, 1967

THE CITY ADVENTURES OF MARMALADE JIM, 1967

LOVE IN THE ENVIROS OF VORONEZH, 1968

GUZMAN, GO HOME, 1968

SHAMAN AND OTHER POEMS, 1968

ALAN SILLITOE SELECTION, 1968

Lope de Vega: All Citizens are Soldiers, 1969 (translation)

A START IN LIFE, 1970

THIS FOREIGN FIELD, 1970

TRAVELS IN NIHILON, 1971

POEMS, 1971

THE RAGMAN'S DAUGHTER, 1972 (play from his story)

RAW MATERIAL, 1972

SHAMAN AND OTHER POEMS, 1973

MEN, WOMEN, AND CHILDREN, 1973

BARBARIANS, 1974

STORM, 1974

THE FLAME OF LIFE, 1974

RAW MATERIAL, 1974

MOUNTAINS AND CAVERNS, 1975 (essays, among others of D.H.Lawrence)

THE SAXON SHORE WAY, 1975 (with F. Godwin)

THE WIDOWER'S SON, 1976

PIT STRIKE, 1977

BIG JOHN AND THE STARS, 1977

3 PLAYS, 1978

THE INCREDIBLE FENCING FLEAS, 1978

THE STORYTELLER, 1979

SNOW ON THE NORTH SIDE OF LUCIFER, 1979

MARMALADE JIM AT THE FARM, 1980

THE SECOND CHANCE AND OTHER STORIES, 1981

HER VICTORY, 1982

SUN BEFORE DEPARTURE, 1982

THE LOST FLYING BOAT, 1983

DOWN FROM THE HILL, 1984

MARMALADE JIM AND THE FOX, 1984

LIFE GOES ON, 1985

TIDES AND STONE WALLS, 1986

EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK, 1987

THREE POEMS, 1988

OUT OF THE WHIRLPOOL, 198

THE OPEN DOOR, 1989

LOST LOVES, 1990

LEONARD'S WAR, 1991

COLLECTED POEMS, 1993

SNOWSTOP, 1993

COLLECTED STORIES, 1995

LEADING THE BLIND, 1995

LIFE WITHOUT ARMOUR, 1995

ALLIGATOR PLAYGROUND, 1997

THE BROKEN CHARIOT, 1998

LEADING THE BLIND: A CENTURY OF GUIDE BOOK TRAVEL 1815-1914, 1999

BIRTHDAY, 2002

NEW AND COLLECTED STORIES, 2003 B)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© 2003

B)

• Like 1
  • 11 years later...

I can recommend the film "The Ragman's Daughter".  I was living in Lenton when it was being made.  A couple of chaps from our local pub were extras in the film adn an ex-girlfriend's mother appeared briefly in one scene.  I finally tracked down a copy on DVD a few years ago and oddly - it came from Rep of Ireland.  Turned out to be a home copy of the film but it was cheap and decent quality so all was well :) 

Compo I have to agree with you on The Ragmans Daughter a great film with many scenes taken in Bulwell I still have it on an original VHS video which I still watch. As for Alan Sillitoe as an author I find I am unable to put down his books once started and when the mood takes me I search out copies of his works to read. So thanks to Stan in 2006 for providing the list of his works.

• Upvote 1

As to Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, there isn't even a close approximation of a Nottingham accent from anyone in the cast. Lancashire, Yorkshire, Liverpool and Welsh (Rachel Roberts) can be clearly heard. Arthur's mum is a cockney!  Still, it's better than Dean Stockwell in Sons and Lovers!

• 1 month later...

In the mid to late 60’s I read a great book by Alan Sillitoe but I can't remember the title. I don’t believe it was Saturday Night, Long Distance Runner or the Ragman’s Daughter. It had a description of Radford Pit and New Bridge and of a grandfather raising and stickling (slaughtering) pigs and converting the entire carcass to food. 

Can anyone remember the name of the book  

I have always loved Sillitoe. I think his writings encapsulated Nottingham specifically, but also the everyday life of the 1950s and 60s when it became trendy to do so, although he never considered himself to be trendy at all.

At a loose end between jobs, I tried to write poetry. He was at the Waterstones (Bridlesmith Gate?) and did a book signing and read some of my poetry. He said, "Its good" Never knew if he meant it, but he did read it with intent and slowly, before he spoke. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Martyn said:

In the mid to late 60’s I read a great book by Alan Sillitoe but I can't remember the title. I don’t believe it was Saturday Night, Long Distance Runner or the Ragman’s Daughter. It had a description of Radford Pit and New Bridge and of a grandfather raising and stickling (slaughtering) pigs and converting the entire carcass to food. 

Can anyone remember the name of the book  

Might it have been “Moggerhanger” the novel that was published sometime after his death?