Hello, I'm wondering if anyone here remembers the tailors' shop on Pelham Street called Will Hill? The business used to be at Trinity Square before moving to Pelham Street, the company name went back to at least the 1920s.

My Great Uncle Graham Rogers was the last remaining cutter/fitter and the last person to use the company name (I think).

When the shop closed he continued to see clients who wanted new suits making at the workroom of Lee and Lewindon in Excise Chambers, which is now also closed. If anyone has memories of Graham, or of the shop, I would love to hear them!

Laura

Shop photo(2).jpg

• Like 1

1960 i was a Van-Lad for British rail on leaving school........and remember delivering to Will-Hill in Trinity square...mostly got a cup of Tea from a middle aged bloke who was very nice....short chap with glasses..........

• Like 1

There are several photos of the Will Hill shop in Trinity Square buildings in this NEP feature.  Look at photos number 25, 26, 27, and 34.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/local-news/gallery/trinity-square-40-pictures-showing-3642034

I don't remember the shop on Pelham Street although I must've passed it many times. And in Laura's photo you can see the entrance to the Pelham Club on the right.

• Like 2

Trinity square was the place in Nottingham i knew best.......as a school kid in the 50s lived on Bestwood estate (old) and the 28 bus terminus was Leybourne drive Bestwood estate............which Terminated in Trinity square...along with the number 6 also Bestwood estate.....and the 17 from Bulwell....plus the 18 from Edwards lane estate.........

Thinking about it that area around Trinity square holds so many memories from the 50s and 60s...........apart from Will-Hill there was....

Pet shop on Exchange or Trinity walk where we could see Puppy Dogs and Kittens.........

Empire cafe......where Grandma used to take me........

The Empire theatre.....remember Dad taking me there........to see Norman Evans...over the Garden Wall fame..........

Original playhouse......saw Gene Vincent....Marty Wilde........and the Vernon girls there...about 1961....

Newspaper offices Forman st........had a nearly father in law work there the same time as Tommy Lawton....

Peach Tree pub...corner of Forman st....Spoke to David Whitfield in there.......

Also saw Mike Winters standing near the bus stops......looked as if waiting for a lady........

And not forgetting the tiny ''Little London'' store near Will-Hills..where you could buy ''Something for the weekend'' ..for only 3/6....Happy days indeed.........:)

I remember Will Hill in Trinity Square but not on Pelham St. The only tailor I recollect and used to patronise was James Bell who I think are still on Pelham St. I buy all my clothes on line these days without the hassle of driving into town and paying a fortune to park my car.

40 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

There are several photos of the Will Hill shop in Trinity Square buildings in this NEP feature.  Look at photos number 25, 26, 27, and 34.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/local-news/gallery/trinity-square-40-pictures-showing-3642034

I don't remember the shop on Pelham Street although I must've passed it many times. And in Laura's photo you can see the entrance to the Pelham Club on the right.

There are some great photos in here, thanks!

Not sure about that Phil............remember the one in Trinity sq....mainly because of the man who ran it.......Big imposing chap in white overalls....always felt nervous when parting with my 3/6 because of him.......lol

Was William Hill a Nottingham individual?  It’s just that an old man who lived opposite us (and has since passed away) told me that he lived next door to him many moons ago.  Of course it may not have been that one as I know there were several small tailors in town back then.  I could have a totally different person!  

17 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

Was William Hill a Nottingham individual?  It’s just that an old man who lived opposite us (and has since passed away) told me that he lived next door to him many moons ago.  Of course it may not have been that one as I know there were several small tailors in town back then.  I could have a totally different person!  

Hi Lizzie, I think the original founder of the buisness was William Hill. The limited company known as WILL HILL (TAILORS) LIMITED took over an existing business at the Trinity Square address in 1947. There had been a tailors and outfitters based at this address with this name since at least 1922.

The company at this time was at 2 Forman Street, Nottingham. There were three directors – Leslie, Douglas and Raymond Hill. Probably sons...?? My Great Uncle became an apprentice cutter with the firm in 1953 and kept the business name on after the Hills had all retired.

2 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Not sure about that Phil............remember the one in Trinity sq....mainly because of the man who ran it.......Big imposing chap in white overalls....always felt nervous when parting with my 3/6 because of him.......lol

Did he used to say ‘Oh no! Not you again!’

• Like 1
9 hours ago, LauraAger said:

clients who wanted new suits making at the workroom of Lee and Lewindon in Excise Chambers, which is now also closed. 

Gordon Lewindon was a school pal of mine at Gedling . I did go in his workshop in the mid 80s on a visit back to Nottm but lost touch after we moved away . 

Also had a tenuous connection to Will Hills as I went out with his granddaughter for a very short time . I can't remember which of the Hill sons was her father but they had a very large Victorian house in Burton Joyce.

Ages ago on this site I posted a photo of a beach trip to Scarborough in the 60s by students from Digby College both she and Gordon are on that photo.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On 7/27/2022 at 8:32 PM, benjamin1945 said:

With all the fright hope you got your moneys worth , brinngs an old new meaning to did you give her one ?