Our Wine festival has just finished tonight. Food and wine , what more do you want. There were 22 wine producers from around this area and 22 groups offering different types of food from Tagliatelle to sandwiches. My daughter made Gnocchi with Castelmagno  and cream sauce. She went through 14 forms of cheese each weighing about 8 kg . My son didn’t participate and decided just to keep his restaurant open and serve drinks and cocktails. He said he’d gone through almost 11 liters of Gin. There were street musicians playing all 3 days each one different from the others. To start we bought our wine glass which was in a sling bag to hold round our necks then we bought our Barberini ( basically tokens . Barbera wine is the cause of this festival) so each time we bought food or wine we paid in Barberini. So the wine glass was in constant use while walking from one place to another to see what they had on offer and sampling all the different wines. It’s a very interesting festival and brings in a lot of different nationalities.

I know it’s a long post and nothing to do with Nottingham but I think it’s interesting to know how and what other ex Brit’s do and see in their adopted country.

• Like 3
  • Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jill, I’ve stoked it up with Gourmet catfood. All gone quiet now after a couple of hours of frenzied activity while it was collecting bedding

It’s so simple , boil potatoes and onions in their skins, when cooked skin them whilst they are hot ( I like skin on potatoes) and add a good dollop of olive oil and a splash or two of vinegar then mi

Look what we’ve got back, it’s nest building in my border.   

It makes our village’s ‘Open Gardens’ look a bit tame!

Many years ago an old lady, a keen homemade winemaker, organised a ‘tasting’ in her garden. There were no grapes involved in the ‘wines’. I’ve never seen so many people totally legless. Sadly the occasion wasn’t repeated.

• Like 3

I have a grapevine but the fruit is neither edible nor drinkable. Just for decoration, really. I suppose the leaves are edible but I've never tried them.

When I was a child, my father made some marrow wine under instructions from Emily Ward who lived in Garden Street and could make wine out of most things. I recall it involved a lot of demerara sugar. The wine looked perfectly alright but it made dad ill , along with everyone else who tried it. I wasn't invited. Perhaps it was just as well.

I was going to try cider making again after a break of some years. I’ve got the kit, a scratter and a fruit press but looking round, after a bumper crop last year, there won’t be many apples. However the medlar tree is loaded. What are my options?

Phil, if you Google medlar jelly you will see a recipe from David Lebovitz for it. You have to “blet” them (leave them to soften) and they look absolutely disgusting when this has been completed. However it makes a beautiful clear jelly almost like the colour of rose hips.

v good recipe.

Although we live in a wine growing province I know little about wine apart from drinking it of which is Barbera.We have at least 6-7 wine producers near us.All are available for tours and tasting. Foreigners come from everywhere for their wine even USA when they visit their summer home in the village. Apparently on Saturday alone 30.000 people were in the top part of the village and as we were voted one of the most beautiful villages in Italy we had a bumper festival.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Phil re medlars. Once you’ve done the juice extraction the volume is reduced as you’re only straining the clear juice really. Don’t be tempted to get any more liquid by pressing more through the sieve as it makes the finished product cloudy. We mackled up a suspended sieve over a big mixing bowl overnight which although looked a bit “Heath Robinson” worked. Just compost the left overs in the sieve.

If you have any spare jars made it is always good to give to friends and family as it’s a bit unusual. Great with a ploughmans.

On another note, I see that the Tap and Run at Upper Broughton is re opening at the end of June after the awful fire last year.

• Upvote 1

Look what we’ve got back, it’s nest building in my border. 

IMG-0140.jpg

• Like 4

I'm so glad your prickly friend is back. They know which side their bread is buttered, so to speak.  Jemima turns up in my garden for her food every night around dusk and sometimes has company as it's the mating season. Lately, she's been leaving a sizeable tip for me. Lovely! :blink:

Jill, I’ve stoked it up with Gourmet catfood. All gone quiet now after a couple of hours of frenzied activity while it was collecting bedding IMG-0141.jpg

• Like 5

You may have a pregnant female. Lucky you.  Gourmet cat food, eh?  If they were sociable creatures, she'd be inviting all her friends round. Fortunately for your pocket, they're even more antisocial than me!

• Like 1

Jill, the Goumet stems from when my little cat had to have her pelvis pinned together a couple of years ago and when she came home she wouldn’t eat dry food. Now her and her mum have a tin between them in the morning and dry for the rest of the day. 
The hog likes the chicken one too. Will keep an eye out for baby hogs.

• Like 1

Well I received a reply from my email to Warburtons about the smaller size of their teacakes, they say they can assure me that the recipe and size of the teacakes has not changed at all, however they will be sending me some vouchers as a gesture of good will, a nice letter and four one pound vouchers have arrived, I am sending the vouchers back to them as I didn't complain about the teacake size just to receive vouchers from them, I sent them the email to point out that I had noticed the smaller size and didn't think it was right that these thing should be changed without informing the customer, is this another case of the customer being bought off?

Rog

• Like 1

I complained to PG Tips about the amount of teabags that were split when they changed how they were sealed and they credited me with the price of a 240 pack once I’d given them the serial number on the pack so they could trace the problem.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, plantfit said:

Well I received a reply from my email to Warburtons about the smaller size of their teacakes, they say they can assure me that the recipe and size of the teacakes has not changed at all, however they will be sending me some vouchers as a gesture of good will, a nice letter and four one pound vouchers have arrived, I am sending the vouchers back to them as I didn't complain about the teacake size just to receive vouchers from them, I sent them the email to point out that I had noticed the smaller size and didn't think it was right that these thing should be changed without informing the customer, is this another case of the customer being bought off?

Rog

Had a similar experience with a well known cereal manufacturer. Their large box of Corn Flakes, when opened looked like the brown chaff I would give to the horses, very brown and obviously over cooked. I sent them an email with all the product details, bar codes, use by dates etc and got a response that they were investigating the issue and assured me that the product had not been changed and were sending me a $10 voucher and thanked me for the information. We used the voucher the other day to purchase more of the product and it was thankfully back to normal.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Chicken and chips, what's not to like? unless you're vegetarian then it's just a plate of chips

DSCF2344.jpg

Rog