Pipewood Camp

Guest a5h4w

Circa 60 /61 .. a change of scenery for one month out of the year.

adventure in the woods, ping-pong in the games room, plenty of outdoor activity, a trip to Dudley Zoo thrown in, and the showing of the latest film of the day ' Hobsons choice' in the large dining room - an altogether good time !

I read somewhere the camp had either been an army barracks or p.o.w camp .. there were four dormitories as far as I can recollect, Chetwynd, Hartsmere, and the other two I can't remember .. (I was bottom bunk - Chetwynd !)

And if I'm not mistaken it cost £9 to send you there for the month - must have been pure bliss for the parents !

AL.

• 2 years later...

Yes I remember. My name is Gordon Cave and I used to live at 10 Hartford Street. Along with those places mentioned, Cannock Chase comes to mind. The Sunday Church parade to Mavesan (I think) Rydware. Train spotting in Rugeley and Armitage. Yes and as has been said, it gave the olds a well deserved break. And how we looked forward to a food parcel and the third week visit.

It would be great to catch up with old students and possibly long lost friends. I was a student around this time and now 70, there may still be some survivors of time still around.

I have only recently located this site hence replying to what may be old letters.

i remember pipewood camp but i went twice in the 50s, then it cost £1. 17.6d for a month, which is about £1.75 p . and another one of the dorms was called brackenhurst. the thing i think of most was the date spread we had for tea it was yummy.another thing i remember were the nature walks , and the names of all the wild flowers , even today after55 years i can still name most of them. and what about mr dibbs , anyone remember him ? he had a big handlebar moustache.

he thought himself a bit of a photographer and used to go round snapping all the girls. ive heard it no longer there , shame really it would do some of todays youngsters good i think

....and what about mr dibbs , anyone remember him ? he had a big handlebar moustache.

he thought himself a bit of a photographer and used to go round snapping all the girls......

I can just visualise the 'News of the World' headline ;)

Cheers

Robt P.

• 7 months later...

When I was over at my mums at the weekend I was going through some old photos and found a load of her at pipewood camp, must be late 40's early 50's next time I go over I'll bring them back and scan them on this forum for you ' oldies ' to look at

• 3 years later...

I also attended a school camp at Pipewood in the 50s. I am 66 now and attended Manvers Bi-lateral on Carlton Road.

I now live in Victoria Australia and ken to find a few of my old school mates... I will be watching this space.

• 1 year later...

Last night I was watching a programme with my wife on train journeys and it went from Birmingham to Stafford via Rugeley and my wife said that she had never been to Rugeley. This brought back memories and I told her that when I was at junior school some 60 years ago I went to a camp known as Pipewood and I stayed for a month on holiday. We used to walk to Rugeley every Saturday buying sweets in Woolworths before walking back home. On a warm day I can remember it seemed a very long way. I can recall going on a walk that took in all the Ridgeways, Mavesyn-Pipe-Hamstall- Hill before returnig to camp at Blithbury. I also recall tramping through Cannock Chase having a whale of a time. We also went to Abbots Bromley to see the morris dancers.

I was there in the autumn and can remember collecting Blackberries and making Blackberry Jam, the first time I had tasted it, but not the last. I used to enjoy playing football amd at the end of our holiday the pupils played a game against the staff and for some unkown reason I finished up playing for the staff. I still have a photo of those that took part.

It was a great time but I am in my seventies and my memory is not what it was but I can remember one boy, not by name, but the fact his father owned a motorbike shop in Alfreton Road not far from Canning Circus.

I left Nottingham 52 years ago and except for visits to see family, (none left now), I have not returned.

Mike

• Upvote 1

Just received the book on the camp and was surprised that on the second page and the last page was a photo of the football team I wrote about recently, I am the one in the middle of the photo. The book is great and brings back many happy memories.

My Mum had a couple of her photos reproduced in the book , I'll have to ring her and get the page numbers.