What about Burt Bacharach and Hal David, hundreds of hit songs over the years.

There's no denying that Bacharach & David were fantastic songwriters and masters of their genre. However in my opinion, for what it's worth,

H-D-H as part of Motown changed the face of music,  introducing soul to mainstream white America and were part of the soundtrack to major world events. A sound that is still fresh today

• Like 1

A great producer I particularly liked the early tracks e.g. The Vandellas  "Come and Get These Memories" 

Tempus fugit.......

• Like 1

We old farts have been lucky that we have lived through an era of great music.

I was watching my recording of the Beach Boys 50th anniversary, yes I know it was made 20 years ago, but looking at the thousands of fans in the audience, children were enjoying the music, as we;; as their parents and grandparents. 

The Bee Gees , Fleetwood Mac, the vast audience of youngsters who hadn't even been born when those groups became famous, and the great music they gave us.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

No doubt that H-D-H were a terrific songwriting team and possibly the greatest for Motown.

However the Motown story, like that of popular music in general, is far from that simple. Eddie Holland was also a singer and had a few hits before quitting performance due to chronic stage fright.

Here's a summary of the many others who were big songwriting contributors to Motown:

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/stories/motown-sound-producers-and-songwriters/

I don't think the link above mentions R. Dean Taylor, who, though probably better known here for hits like ' Gotta See Jane', 'Indiana Wants Me' and 'There's a Ghost in My House'..was originally employed by Motown as a songwriter. He left us in January of this year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._Dean_Taylor

• Like 1

Have you ever watched "Standing in ThE Shadows of Motown"??

It's about the session musicians who called themselves "The Funk Brothers" who were on every record produced at Motown Records.

• Like 1