ATI graphics card

What are the first signs of a graphics card failing?

I was told some months back that my graphics card was on it's way out.

The display on my monitor looks fine to me but lately it has been going blank.

A box appears in the middle which says RUNNING OUT OF FREQUENCY with a count down from ten seconds.

When the ten seconds are up the box disapears, the computer keeps running and the monitor stays blank.

Therefore I have to reboot to get my monitor working again.

Any ideas?

This may give you some idea of the problem.

In general, poor graphics performance is a result of the graphics card exhausting it's memory, or the computer running out of available memory. The amount of memory used by the graphics card depends on the computer display settings. If the screen resolution is high (1280x1024 or greater), refresh frequency is high (60Hz or greater), or color resolution is high (24bit or greater), the graphics card will be using considerable memory to render 3-D scenes. Some graphics cards have their own memory, while other cheaper cards use the system RAM.

If problems are occurring with the graphics cards then the first approach should be to find the latest drivers for that card, and install them on the computer. It is possible that the drivers on the computer are faulty. If the problems still persist, after installing the latest drivers, than minimize the number of 3-D views that are displayed. Also reduce the screen resolution and color resolution of the monitor. If the screen resolution must be reduced to 800x600 or less, or the colors reduced to 256 colors, then it is advisable to replace the graphics card.

To change the graphics card display settings on most Windows systems, right click the mouse on the desktop and select Properties. This will bring up the Display Properties property pages. Select the Settings page to view the specific graphics card settings.

HTH

Most useful Qfive thanks very much.

I have altered the colour quality to 16 bit from 32 bit.

and my screen resolution to 1024x768.

At the mom all seems fine..

I will look at up dating the drivers if this fails to solve the problem. :Friends: