Cussons Soap Factory (outside views)

Had been trying to work out where these football pitches were! (somebody said where tram depot is) but think I now remember them, were they other side of the railway line near "Whitemoor Garages"? For those not in the know these were rows of lock up garages accessed off Whitemoor Avenue, late 1960's/early 70's quite a few rented by teenage bikers, one with girlfriend actually lived in one. There used to be a level crossing over the railway near there in times gone past at back of Gerards though probably closed when Wilkinson St built? footbridge to such (or modern replacement) remains still. names I recall from the era were Gary and Pete Brooks, Billy Whitlam, Geoff Baldwin, Billy Jenkins, Steve Manson,

Small world innit, had mates who lived that area, Bobbers Mill Rd. Also rented a lock up garage at the back of Gerrards, the owner of the garages was a old man called Herman.

Billy Jenkins, Steve Manson, I knew quite well, not seen em for years.

• Like 1
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here you go Ian ! Bet you remember seeing this !    

Small world innit, had mates who lived that area, Bobbers Mill Rd. Also rented a lock up garage at the back of Gerrards, the owner of the garages was a old man called Herman. Billy Jenkins, Steve Man

He is some more redundant factory photos we'll call it "inside another Nottingham factory" think I've taken about 3000!   

Yes remember Herman, Stan Brooks (dad of Pete and Gary) owned some in later years, Steve Manson was plumber at Skerritts,had a CB250 Honda, later a 250cc Indian Brave which I had off him, later still an E type jag, last I heard of him lived in Wilford, his wife (or long term partner) got killed falling off a bus I believe

13 is a high number of friends lost. Makes you wonder if it's something in the area that made them ill and die? I'm assuming they all lived near to you?

no not all near me, 2 were bike accidents,3 suicides, (1 following wife leaving,1 following parents natural deaths 1 unknown reason) 1 murder, attacked in street, 1 drugs o/d, 3 cancer 1 heart attack 1 brain tumour 1 (Billy) unknown, the 5 natural deaths were all early 60's

A guy I bought a BSA 250 off lived on Forest Rd, his death was about 1969, had been in radford pubs, possibly social club on alfreton rd near bentick rd, was attacked somewhere at back of windmill pub on alfreton road (far as I know), know who did it, he got life

Had a look, can't find anything, not sure of all the facts, didn't want to know at time. He was in that still there chip shop on Alfreton Rd opposite Forest Rd with a mate and his girlfriend before the murder, for awhile police didn't know who he was after they found body and were trying to trace my mate and his girlfriend who didn't know he was dead or they were "wanted" Not sure if just a fight that got out of hand or as rumour at time a planned attack with no other reason than "I don't like him and am going to get him" (was told this was said earlier in evening)

I thought I had posted the following in this thread, but it must be somewhere else on here.

Any way when I worked at the Raleigh I used to catch the 72/39 home , on a Friday a youth who I knew from Carlton also caught it, he worked for Cussons and on a Friday his job was cleaning out the talum??? tanks. He stank so bad that he always got a seat to himself (and usually one or two others too!!!!)

They were called 'Tallow Tanks', tallow was rendered animal fat & carried all sorts of health risks!! I worked as a Contractor in Gerrards in 60/70's, it even smelt in your burps & farts!!

There was a famous product they made there called 'Eno Soap Flakes', it was on one of the tiled wall signs across the factory frontage, so famous I never recalled seeing any in the shops!! !rotfl!

My granny used Eno, as I recall "proper flakes" like some coconut ones or wood shavings, also used washing soda, like some crystals, it's a wonder I haven't got every type of dermatisis going after years of working on motorbikes and washing hands in every sort of cleaner going! from petrol, gunk, daz, bleach and gods knows what else!

I remember Eno soap flakes too!

I still find that a slurry of Vim and washing up liquid makes a really good hand cleaner when I am out of the "proper" stuff!

• 2 weeks later...

i worked at gerrards in 1974 on shifts one of jobs was toshovel the animal fat back in to the vats,their was three of them ithink this job was done on nights they had to let the fat go solid during the day the vats did'nt run during the night worst job i'v ever had the smell and stinging eyes i lasted 2 months good set of lads though.

• 2 years later...

Recall a fire at Gerards later, maybe 78? onwards, for a while was danger of some big explosion I recall, mind you have said elsewhere of the many fires in Basford from 1960 ish, most of the bleaching/dye works went up at one time or another! can think of 5 at least other trades factories/warehouses too, all totally wrecked in the area around Beech Ave/Northgate

I recall a vast fire somewhere around the Bobbers Mill area circa 1965; it was a Sunday evening, light nights. The film at the Capitol had finished and I well recall coming out of the cinema and being met with the orange, red flames of the spectacular occurence not too far away. :ohmy:

The photos at the beginning of this thread seem to have disappeared off someone's Photobucket account.

As a not-very-good substitute, here's a few pictures I took last year of the old soap factory. These were all taken standing on Wilkinson Street, and anyone who hasn't seen it for a while may be in for a bit of a surprise.

wilk3.jpg

wilk1.jpg

wilk2.jpg

wilk4.jpg

Sad, people thought the soap factory was going to be there forever; the building must have been Art-Deco inspired.

I remember as kids we'd pass the place on our way to Noel Street Baths; always loved the smell as we went by. :)

• 4 years later...

Reminiscent thoughts really...when I got the boot from the veggie gaff on Heathcote Street... Commercial Rd.job centre despatched me to Gerrards...the night- shift.

The twine wasn't at all bad,including a generous nights allowance, a flotsam and jetsam of strange folk made /wrapped and packed Imperial Leather and Pearl soaps.

The Wendy House this hellhole was affectionately named..strippers turning up late...and little old black ladies making phallic shapes out of soft soap...bizarre indeed... Acma were the wrapping machines for those interested.

• 1 year later...

I played as a child with jimmy whitlam but i didnt think that he survived He was a blue baby he had heart problems I remember him sitting on our step gasping for breath My sister used to do the potatoes for them at the chip shop and when mrs whitlam lived on Ewart road she used to come to my mothers house for a bath because they had no bath in their house I know mr whitlam drove a wagon for sankeys at bullwell