Cussons Soap Factory (outside views)

NBL, I wasn't familiar with my Whitlam cousins, once we'd all grown up and started work etc. It was not a common surname so I'm thinking your Billy would be the one on Sharpe's.  Meeowed,  I do believe Jimmy lived quite a long time with his heart problem. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here you go Ian ! Bet you remember seeing this !    

Small world innit, had mates who lived that area, Bobbers Mill Rd. Also rented a lock up garage at the back of Gerrards, the owner of the garages was a old man called Herman. Billy Jenkins, Steve Man

He is some more redundant factory photos we'll call it "inside another Nottingham factory" think I've taken about 3000!   

On 22/05/2012 at 7:06 AM, Ashley said:

Recall a fire at Gerards later, maybe 78? onwards, for a while was danger of some big explosion I recall,

I was working at Gerard's at the time. If it was the same fire that I remember, that was actually at the back of Gerard's in a small paint factory on Gauntley Street. The paint factory very close to the Gerards glycerine separation/purifying plant and some bright spark(!!) in the fire brigade decided to associate the word glycerine with nitroglycerine - which you may know as the high explosive material. This misunderstanding of the FB was compounded by them noticing some of the glycerine drums (it was shipped in 45-gallon drums) were labelled:

GLYCERINE DYNAMITE GRADE.

This was a quality of glycerine selected for reasons of purity, nothing else.

Glycerine is perfectly harmless it doesn’t easily burn and is even edible but, try as we might, we could not convince the fire crews there that there was no danger over and above with they might expect from a tiny paint company fire. One thing that scared them most was that there were about 200 tonnes of glycerine there in a storage tank.

The fire brigade was well on their way to calling for the evacuation of probably the whole of Nottingham before they got a message that what we had been telling them was true.

the Whitlams lived on Ewart road when I was a child I would think about 1948 Mr Whitlam used to leave the wagon on the street The last time I saw him would be mid fifties He came banging on our door shouting that the chimney was on fire at my mothers house  We had coal fires then and used to block the grate with newspaper to create a draught  The whole lot had gone up the chimney and set it alight I remember Jimmy and myself wore big floppy caps which would bob up and down when you walked They were compulsory wear in those days  meeowed

• Like 1