Ooh nonna that’s a little warm. We are forecast 30 here on Friday. I do love hot weather but my flowers and veggies don’t particularly although my melons are really doing well in the greenhouse. 

• Like 1

Beekay, everyone at the allotment does call them Helen’s Melons 

• Like 1

Schoolboy humour Beekay, but I guess I started it !  I will see how they go. You actually do get quite a few to the pound as they’re quite small (the melons) Just enough for one person and really sweet. 

I once had to rush my father to the doctor’s (back in the day when you could see a doctor the same day) when he had a violent allergic reaction when pollinating melons. A dose of antihistamine cured the problem very quickly. I’ve never tried growing melons but you’ve fired my enthusiasm to try next year. 

Phil, let me know if you do. I always grow Emir and Green Nutmeg varieties with saved seed from the previous year. You do have to pollinate them from male to female flower unless you have plenty of bees about. I wouldn’t attempt to grow them outside as they really don’t like cold nights. I put 2 plants in a 12 inch pot. They need cutting back after the 5th leaf otherwise they will go crazy producing foliage. The fruit will need supporting in nets as time goes on.  Sounds really fiddly but actually it’s not once you’ve the hang of it.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Thought I’d let you know after various prior discussions on these that I have already harvested 6 to date and they are epic. Apart from the sweetcorn, they’re about the only things that are really thriving in this heat. 

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Helen’s Melons

Here you go, not very big but very tasty 

CE902-A78-56-C6-4763-BFCF-07922221-E806.

My teaching wasn't wasted. My work is done.

:rolleyes: 

I'd heard you had an excellent pair, but didn't boast about it. smile2