• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is a Nottingham song.  

I enjoyed the video that went with the music. Dave Collins's stuff is brilliant the images in this should bring back memories for many on here  

14 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Mrs Smith always said she thought Nottingham people were peculiar. They always expected something in return for whatever they did.

What about that Yorkshire expression "If ever tha does owt for nowt always do it for thissen"

• Like 1
15 hours ago, DJ360 said:

If you have the BBC Sounds app, look up 'Mark Steele's in Town' in the comedy section. His programme from Nottingham is hilarious.

Don't have that app as I am a bit "appathetic" but I'll look it up and have a listen.

I wonder if the reason that there are so few notable songs about Nottingham is that the city seems unsure of its geographic place in the UK. Is it in the North, the Midlands, not sure. It appears it is in the East M

idlands wherever that is.

Geographically the centre line of England is in Leicestershire putting Nottingham in the North of the country. In medieval times Nottingham was identified as the gateway of the North and, although I've not watched it for some time, I believe that in the opening scenes of Saturday night, Sunday morning the voice over states "the north"

• Like 1

When Coronation street began in 1960.........i thought at last sumat on Telly that resembles Nottingham......

• Like 1

I may be misremembering something here but I believe that Glenn Campbell was recorded, during a concert at the Commodore, singing "Nottingham oh Nottingham" during the song Galveston. I believe Radio Trent (possibly, might have been after they changed) used a clip of it to advertise a subsequent concert tour, maybe it's still out there somewhere :rolleyes:

I think it was something he did quite often singing Alveston when he appeared in Derby 

We went to see Glen Campbell at the Commodore. Half way through a song he shouted, " Wow, you're a great audience. Let me know where Y'all performing and I'll come and see you"!

• Like 1

I can remember dating a guy from Guildford Surrey who I had met on holiday in Ibiza in my late teens and was invited to go down there and meet the parents. We dined al fresco which was quite unusual in those days. His mother asked me very loudly during this “Do you come from the North dear?” as if it was another planet.

I knew that the relationship was doomed from that point on. 

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Hey Arnold said:

Geographically the centre line of England is in Leicestershire

The perennial argument of where does The North begin? Where is the middle of England/Great Britain/UK/British Isles? I do know that the village of Coton in the Elms in Derbyshire is the settlement furthest from the sea in the UK than any other. The actual "centre" is dependent on the exact question asked.

According to Ordnance Survey using the "gravitational method", look that one up.

The centres are as follows

Centre of Great Britain - 7 km north-west of Dunsop Bridge Lancashire by Whitendale Hanging Stones on Brennard Farm in the Forest of Bowland

Centre of England - Lindley Hall Farm near the villages of Fenny Drayton and Higham on the Hill Leicestershire.

IVE Travelled and worked most of England....and i feel at home in the North...much more of a kinship with Notts......

6 hours ago, MRS B said:

I can remember dating a guy from Guildford Surrey who I had met on holiday in Ibiza in my late teens and was invited to go down there and meet the parents. We dined al fresco which was quite unusual in those days. His mother asked me very loudly during this “Do you come from the North dear?” as if it was another planet.

I knew that the relationship was doomed from that point on. 

Just love this post. I know what you mean Mrs B, master had relatives who also came from Guildford and Godleming (not sure of spelling) to these southeners, anything above  Whatford-gap is classed as North.

When master worked (yes he did) his base was up north in Leeds, so Christmas time we went up to a new nightclub with *Music hire Group" and Drink driving just comming in we were invited to stay by one of the other worker's  and wife to stay the night. The wife was very plesent by saying to me, I just love your southan accent, where is it you come from, well what does one say?

2nd story  my grandson came to visit the other day he has just turned 18 but treats me and master as mates Oh !!! grandma M you do speak posh!! As Nottingham born n' bred I don't have an answer.

Re last post, the song is called Not in Nottingham and is a cover of a Disney song from Robin Hood.

Must try & improve on multitasking as I am falling short at the moment.

Here is another song. Whilst the song isn’t about Nottingham, I’m pretty sure it was filmed at Papplewick Pumping Station.

https://youtu.be/mnLAIiHPv7c

fingers crossed this works.