• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is a Nottingham song.  

I enjoyed the video that went with the music. Dave Collins's stuff is brilliant the images in this should bring back memories for many on here  

6 hours ago, Dark Angel said:

Another Nottingham song:

Dark Angel, Well done! What a great song by Another Fine Mess in my mind it sums up Nottingham perfectly.

The Best Nottingham song yet.

Just listened to Christmas Time by the same band, must look up more of their music.

8 hours ago, Beekay said:

It's only three posts up Oz. Frank Ifield- 'Nottingham Fair'.

Still can't see the video, may be some "country" thing. Now I know the title I went straight to YT and after scrolling for ten minutes still can't find it. I give up! Never did like Frank Ifield's half singing and half yodeling anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Post website has one of their compilations of nostalgia photos from the 1980s. There is a picture captioned "Paper Lace musician Mick Vaughan joins Cllr Dennis Birkinshaw to promote a record commissioned by the council - 'Nottingham' 

There are copies available on line of a record called Nottingham written by Mick Vaughan and Phil Wright of Paper Lace and recorded by Sheriff, release on the A.OK label in 1983. 

Can anybody provide a link to the song? If it was written by guys from PL you would think it might be reasonably commercial but l had never heard of it before.

Interesting lyrics….

’Nottingham, no-one could change you, Robin Hood would turn in his grave’

There’s been lots of changes so the man in green tights must be really spinning!

I’m still fond of the place though, even if it’s very different from when I was young…..

Oh dear!!!..

Singing the praises of 'Nodd- Ing-Ham' with an American accent, in an over-produced pile of tosh..??  Sorry..no...

Just..No..

I'd take the Frank Ifield over this.  I knew Mick Vaughan before he was in Paper Lace and.. well..I'll leave it there..

As it is, my Mum was a huge fan of Ifield.  He, in turn, was a big fan of Hank Williams, and of Slim Whitman. Mum had an album with these songs by Ifield.  Sorry..it's not Nottingham, but whether or not you like his style, old Aussie Frank could sing..

After Whitman...

After Hank Williams:

Frank is now 84 and still with us.

• 7 months later...
4 hours ago, Dark Angel said:

It is relevant and filmed in Nottinghamshire.

Yes at Pleasley Pit

I often get water in my eyes when I hear this thinking of my family, grandad, Dad and late brother who were all coal miners.

This has the same effect, it is Gresford, The Miners Hymn.

5 hours ago, Dark Angel said:

This is a Nottingham song.

I enjoyed the video that went with the music. Dave Collins's stuff is brilliant the images in this should bring back memories for many on here

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Oztalgian said:

Yes at Pleasley Pit

If I remember from my NCB medical services days, Pleasley colliery was the last mine  in the Notts coalfield to have a steam winder. When we were x-raying there, we were invited to the winding house to take look. I was amazed at the size of the winding drum. The winder sat in a sort of reclining armchair, with controls on both sides of him. Wish I had a camera in those days.