11 hours ago, Beekay said:

Pleasley colliery was the last mine  in the Notts coalfield to have a steam winder.

I remember passing the steam winders at Blidworth Colliery when walking to and from school in the late 50s early 60s listening to the soft hiss of the winding engines as the door to the winding house was always open and being enveloped in the warm mist from the wooden cooling tower. The engines were made by Markham's of Chesterfield. My dad always said that they gave you a smoother ride than the electric ones.

The former Linby Colliery steam winding engine can still be seen in steam at Papplewick Pumping Station on special days

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is a Nottingham song.  

I enjoyed the video that went with the music. Dave Collins's stuff is brilliant the images in this should bring back memories for many on here  

@Beekay:  he’s an ex miner. He has the tee shirt.

In my opinion, this is the best version of any that I have listened to.

@Oztalgian: thanks for reposting Down the Medders, it seems to have disappeared along with a few others previously posted. (Some of the rubbishier ones are still there, that’s life, I guess.)

Just watched the u-tube The ballard of old St Ann's who ever made it just keeps repeating all the same words over and over again they say Saturday morning at the Cavandish the picture house was never called this if you were from St Ann's it was allways the Cavo. 

Just been though all the post and the only one to me who did sing about Nottm and was a local was Jake Bug if you look back at RobL page 2  plus there were lots of other songs that Jake made mostley about Clifton , but it is still part of Nottm.