Hotel on Mansfield Road opposite Grosvenor Pub?

It's had a few names or variations of names, just some,

It's also changed ownership a few times.

It was built as the Savoy.

It was the Nottingham Moathouse in the 90's

It's been the Park Inn

It's currently signed Mercure Hotel but is actually the Mercure Nottingham Sherwood Hotel

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Hotel on Mansfield Road opposite Grosvenor Pub?

I remember in a very 'of that time' fashion that in the brickwork outside, about eye level, were the letters S. A. V. O. Y.  I have a feeling one or two of the letters can still be seen, even though the building has had alterations - don't know if it's the S.??? I will check next time I pass by and report back. Bet ya can't wait!

I did a Speed Awareness Course there about 3 years ago, quite handy as it’s only a 10 minute walk for me.  The one and only time I’ve eaten in the hotel was in 1987 with my parents, it was one of their favourite restaurants! 

• Like 1

It was obviously built in the 60s-70s, but I've never seen any photos of what was on the site before the hotel.

Turns out to have been a group of typical Mapperley Park houses from the early 1900s, which probably wouldn't be demolished now.

This is an aerial view of the old days....Mansfield Road on the left, Redcliffe Road at the bottom, and Zulla  Road running up the rear of the site. The red arrow is the Grosvenor.

As6NbrH.jpg

We used to go regularly when our children were little. One sunday after a meal we ordered the usual liquores and we let our son have a sip. The waitress caused such an uproar insisting that children should not drink. My husband argued that the liquore was for him he hadnt ordered for my son. We have always let our children have a taste of beer, wine, liquores and even tried cigarettes. They have never smoked,  appreciate good wines and  liquores and will have a beer or two with friends . They have grown up in this envirenment and they know they can do the same with their children. My two grandsons 19 and 17 always have wine when we're out together although the eldest did get into spirits for a few months along with friends until he was ill one night and now he drinks water and is proud of it. Stop children from trying and they get too inquisitive and go overboard.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
3 hours ago, Stuart.C said:

Yes by Cavan and Gordon aka Cavco / Pickering Investments.

Cav died several years ago following a ‘routine’ operation but Gordon is still around, overseeing his empire, he’s mid 90s now. The Pickerings did well.