Not sure whether these would be of interest to the forum but I have a copy of, what would have been hand drawn, 19th century map of Arnold. I've scanned it but I'm not sure how to go about posting, and where to post, the two images. They're approx 500 & 600kb respectively. Any help would be appreciated 

Re posting images, you need to sign up to a free (at the moment) image host site like Imgur or Flickr or similar, then up load images to there and copy the link it creates to post on forums etc.

Is it the same as this low res one?

BKWVvzw.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Also amongst the papers we picked up when my mum died were numerous birth, death, marriage certificates etc. On the birth certificate of my uncle my grandparents address, in February 1920, is stated as Lea Pool Cottages Mansfield Road. I know Lea Pool area is at the top of Redhill but on modern maps I can't find any indication for the cottages. Anyone help please?

Hey Arnold

If you've got a high res copy of the map then please post it, the copy I've got was just a photo someone somewhere took and posted.

I can't remember where it came from.

Leapool cottages I suspect were where the Filling staion / Restaurant are now.

In the 60's I remember it as Hawkers Garage (one of the daughters was same year as me at Arnold High, the other was a couple of years younger)
That was demolished in favour of the filling station but was probably built on the site of the cottages.

Old map showing unnamed cottages overlaid with modern layout.

I'd guess there was a Blacksmith in one of the houses / buildings which later developed into a repair garage.

Blacksmiths were quite often on the edge of villages and ended up as garages / petrol, stations.
The other cottages were probably agricultural workers.

IemA0BP.png

No overlay,

aSdnsCQ.png

G6w4aBP.png

Finally a Poor quality image of the old building

ILQaIMi.png

• Like 1

@Stuart.C Many thanks for the above information and what you say about the blacksmith becoming a garage makes perfect sense. Knowing where they lived and the fact that the birth was registered in Basford, it must have been a good trek that my grandma made as I can't imagine there was much in the way of public transport up that way in 1920.

I'll post the scans of the map later when I've got a bit more time

Denshaw,

I saw reference to that name in the link below, that's neither of the 2 names I know of so must be a 3rd daughter

Pictures don't work in the link.

The one I posted, found elsewhere is not one of them as it's too old.

https://stuartfrew.wordpress.com/2021/05/01/leapool-redhill-nottingham/

Update, found the thread, Rachel was born in the mid 70's and mentioned Grandad Hawker so she's most likely the daughter of one of the 2 sisters that I remember, Helen and Maria,
The aunty waving is probably the one from my year at school.