Question

I went into the  city,of  Nottingham, I have lived there all my life so I thought  knew every shop and road that there was.

Can any member who is on line now,  tell my where our main post office is?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A photo complete with sign sticking out from the wall.   https://picturenottingham.co.uk/image-library/image-details/poster/ntgm013777/posterid/ntgm013777.html

I gave our postman a tip. It was this....   If you want a tip, it's best not to deliver my birthday cards two weeks late!

Re, The Parcel Sorting Office, I took these this morning, progress is relatively slow due the the nature of it's construction,            

Thanks Cliff Ton after not being able to go into the city for a while, when I called st Queen st PO GONE. It's first time in my life that I have had to ask a stall holder (where is the PO) 

What is our city comming too when we don't even have a main PO

The sad thing is now when you go into the city cetre there is nothing, Even Shop's gone all gone

I expect the main PO closed because it wasn’t being used enough?  As long as there is a small PO within a shop then that’s OK I suppose..:.:

1 hour ago, MargieH said:

I expect the main PO closed because it wasn’t being used enough?

I can't remember the last time I wrote and posted a letter, must have been 20 years ago.

Our local PO is still thriving but on delivering stuff bought on t'interweb

I remember the main PO as a very stately building. The inside was huge and echoing, as it appeared to me as a child.

What always caught my eye was the huge mural above the cashiers of a camel rider wearing a fez with rifle slung over his shouder delivering mail across the brown coloured desert with distant hills.

I tried to find that image but no luch with that.

Wasn’t the main PO on Huntingdon Street?

Mrs B,

The main Sorting Office was on Huntingdon Street including the Central delivery office.

The Head Post Office Counter was originally the Stately building remembered by Alpha which was vacated by the Post Office when the lease ran out.

They built a new Main Post Office counter in the car park of the stately building on Queen St.

The sorting Office moved to Beeston and the Central delivery office moved into the former Post Office vehicle workshops next door, formerly the site of Shipsides Car Dealer

The old (1898) and new (1972) Head Post Office buildings are side by side on Queen Street.

The Letter Sorting Office (1939 IIRC) was between Huntingdon Street and Brook Street.  After Royal Mail vacated, several floors were added on top to create an appartment block with car park below (Marco Island).  However it seems to have been a constant building site ever since, certainly around the original lower floors.

The Parcel Sorting Office was between Brook Street and Bath Street.  When built (late 1960s), it included a bridge over Brook Street connecting it to the Letter Sorting Office.

After Parcelforce vacated, it became some sort of storage facility.  I see it is now to be redeveloped (not sure whether that includes demolition).  It was riddled with blue asbestos (all the rage at the time to protect steel frameworks from the effects of fire).

I may be the only person who remembers this building; at the top of Queen Street (Elite cinema visible on the left) it was connected to the Post Office on Queen Street and was some kind of delivery/loading/sorting/transport thing. Vans went in and out to loading bays.

NnXMrYm.jpg

• Like 1

You're not on your own CT., I too remember that building/loading Dock, and I've not been along there since 1987. B.

1 hour ago, Cliff Ton said:

It disappeared when the 'new' Post Office was built at the top end of Queen Street.

That has survived, but now converted to student accommodation, like everything else.

https://goo.gl/maps/FfU5k1APmrqntxMh7

I used to work there in the 1970s when it was a BT office and occasionally used to use the car park which is/was under the building and accessed from Norfolk Place.

In 1966-67 whilst on a Secretarial Course at Digby College we were taken to the old Sorting Office on Huntingdon Street, I think for the purpose of explaining the introduction of Post Codes nationally.  Since those days I’ve lived in 7 different houses and remember every post code (and telephone number) but I can’t remember what I had for my dinner last night. 

LizzieM v funny!  I can remember going to the one on Huntingdon St several times, usually when my father used to leave it till the last minute to send bill payments off. We should have played the “Last Post” at his funeral ! He had the entire collection of Bunter books, think he may have modelled himself on him, always waiting for a postal order, which actually never arrived. Whatever happened to postal orders?

In the early 1940s, my mum worked in the offices of Radio Rentals whose premises were above Toby's on Friar Lane. As a junior member of staff, it was her task to take the day's post to a post office sited opposite the castle. I doubt it's a post office nowadays but the building will still be in existence

Mum worked in the department dealing with guarantor agreements and much of the mail had to be sent registered post, so it wasn't simply a case of dropping it in the post box.

It was a task my mother dreaded, as the man who ran that particular post office was very unpleasant and if he found anything wrong with the addresses or envelopes, he would shout at her and refuse to process them.

We often went up to the castle grounds when my sister and I were children, after tea on a Sunday evening. No admission charge in those days. Mum always glanced nervously at that post office and recalled the bad tempered chap who ruled it with an iron rod.

Edit: I've just had a look on Streetview and the building is still there. A rather nice three storey, bow-windowed Georgian construction but no longer used as a post office. The plaque on the wall says Castle Place.

3 hours ago, Willow wilson said:

It also housed the telegram office. In the centre of the picture is a telegram rider setting off with a delivery. They delivered using red BSA Bantams. 

Hi W/W   what a memory the first motor bike we had was a 175 BSA Bantam and the owner before us was named Jeff. How do we know ? well the number plate was Jeff 123

Re telegram deliveries. There's no date on the photo above, the clothing looks 1940s but there's no traffic about on the roads. If the photo is pre 1948, then the motor cycle won't be a BSA Bantam, it would be different BSA model, B33.

My father began his PO career as a telegram boy in the 1920s and he delivered telegrams using a pedal cycle. The telegram boys wore uniforms with a cap, white shirt and tie and according to father, each morning on arrival at work they had to pass a uniform inspection. 

9 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

In the early 1940s, my mum worked in the offices of Radio Rentals whose premises were above Toby's on Friar Lane. As a junior member of staff, it was her task to take the day's post to a post office sited opposite the castle. I doubt it's a post office nowadays but the building will still be in existence

A photo complete with sign sticking out from the wall.

https://picturenottingham.co.uk/image-library/image-details/poster/ntgm013777/posterid/ntgm013777.html

• Like 2

Just as a matter of probably no interest at all...........had 16 driving lessons in 1963 at 'East Yorkshire driving school'' which was situated at one of the shops with the blinds out.....

The day i past my 'Test' i ran down Friar lane across the Market and into 'Lyons Tea shop' to show Trina my Pass paper.....a memorable day..........

13 hours ago, LizzieM said:

In 1966-67 whilst on a Secretarial Course at Digby College we were taken to the old Sorting Office on Huntingdon Street, I think for the purpose of explaining the introduction of Post Codes nationally.

Hmm, that’s got me wondering. Was my sister with you? That’s about the time she met her future husband, who just happened to work for the Post Office at the time as an engineer.