• 1 month later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A photo complete with sign sticking out from the wall.   https://picturenottingham.co.uk/image-library/image-details/poster/ntgm013777/posterid/ntgm013777.html

I gave our postman a tip. It was this....   If you want a tip, it's best not to deliver my birthday cards two weeks late!

Re, The Parcel Sorting Office, I took these this morning, progress is relatively slow due the the nature of it's construction,            

I went into Nottm just before Christmas and for some reason had to use the Post Office, So down Queen st to the Main PO I went, only to find out that Nottingham no longer has a main PO.  I ask this person who was not from Nottm (you could tell by his accent) where the PO had gone ?  for some reason it was now in Victory Center in W H Smiths  on the second floor. 

Embarrasseded to have ask a stranger when I am a Nottm person.

Main PO has gone just another nail in our city centre

When I think about Bath Street Nottingham I think about History of our city?

The Wash House should never have gone it could have been part of our history yes it was old and out of date but did you ever go inside ? it was another world. 

Can't remember my age maybe 13/14 and my dad volunteerd  me to take our neighbors washing to the wash house every Monday after school, now I had to push a pram full of washing all the way up bath st to the wash house. Payment a tanner 6d.

I hoped that I would never meet any of my school friends as I used to feel so embarrassed pushing a pram at my age. 

Inside the wash house well!! it was just magic

Women with dinky curlers in and tubans on, some with fags hanging side of there mouths lots of steam comming from the hot water boilers. large stone sinks with a wash board at each sink. then the drying room, with large pull out wooden cupboards which had wooden poles for you to hang wasing on, then the ironing room with a large very large roller which would hold a full sheet.

Looking back now i was glad that my dad found me my first job if not I would never have set foot in the wash house.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 4 months later...

On 4/6/2023 at 8:26 AM, Cliff Ton said:

that's where the Wash House and Public Baths used to be.

The washhouse is hidden by the bus..