Pubs closing or closed down

,,,, a bit out on the dates Den,,,,,the W.Castle was built well before the 70's,,,,,

I moved away from Nott's in 1970 and used to frequent the place well before then (I used to take my pet bear in there).

As far as I recall, the pub had always been there,,,, I certainly went there in my Mk I Consul,,,,,, so I guess '65/'66,,,, and it was an old pub then.

Of course - someone better versed in 'Pubs' will put us both right.

Talking of pubs - My dads family were pub people (!) My dad was born in the Old General (had to be really - cos granny was there at the time,,,,,). They had another pub very close to one of the town canals (or rank water-way of some sort),,,, & the cellar was below the water level. Granddad contracted T.B or Pleurisy. They decided to get out of town & moved to Gedling (Chesterfield Arms) to sort of Convalesce.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you stood there and paid that for four drinks then you and the landlord deserve each other...I'd have told them to sod off and walked out.

Apart from, BBC news Sky news RT news wild life stuff Cow-boy films Judge judy The chase Fools and horses last of summer wine Emmerdale Coronatio

Posted Images

The Windsor Castle was a listed building that Tescos weren't allowed to mess with in any way during the building of their new store around that area. During excavation for the new car park the foundations were 'accidentally' damaged resulting in the old "Grade 2/3 listed building having to be demolished. The year was 87/88.

The 'new' building was erected to coincide with the opening of the new store in November 88, in time for the Christmas trade.

I don't know about it being a 'busy pub' (It always used to be I know ) I was in there last night and it was dead.

I had a quick 'bat round' with my old mate Alan (Not had a proper drink, natter and a damned good giggle with him since he married 24 years ago!!)

We started in the Bruno (Earl of Chesterfield) at 8ish , the clientel consisted of the pool team ,who left at ten past 8, by the time we supped up and left (20 past) we were the last in there. Monday night in there used to be solid . The lounge was packed with Karaoke , and the bar with the rest of the regulars , I would guess ,4 years ago 250 - 300 people in there on a Monday , last night , none.

We moved on to the Windsor result 3 people in the restaurant area and 5 other than us in the bar.

Blacks head = total of 15 Landlady retiring in the new year

Old Volunteer = 3 landlord giving up in january too!!

,,,,, so come on Beefy,,,, when was the Windsor Castle built, changed, refurbished ?

I'm sure it was there as long as you lived up the road from it,,,,,,, & I'm sure I can remember it from passing every day on my way to 'the' Boarding School.

,,, i just godda know now,,,,,,,,,,,

There is a clue where I typed , THE YEAR WAS 87/88 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just cos you write it,,,, don't mean I see it !

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

sorry mate,,,,, and Den.

Of course until then I had no idea he had been demolished,,,,, I'm still thinking,,,,, the old W.C that I used to frequent,,,, makes so much sense now !

Snow good me going on a pub crawl when I visit,,,,,, I could end up anywhere !

(twood still be nice to know when it was first built - now that we'r on the subject)

cheers

I have to concur with Beefy on this one as I was involved in the buiilding of the establishment.

IIRC, it's on the left hand side as you drive down into Carlton Square. Opposite the road that comes down on your right hand side and meets Carlton Road at an obtuse angle.

I seem to remember the architect specifying some type of brass letter box slot type grilles for the ventilation and we installed some above the bar.

Never drank in there though.

The recently done up & refurbished and reopened - The Middletons formally Deep Cellar/Roebuck on Trowell road now closed.

If you find a copy of this months Nottingham Drinker there's a review of the Middleton before it closed, and the reason why they were given no choice but to leave Middleton's at very short notice.

Interesting reading.

OOOOOO its now re-open!!

I have a copy but as yet not read it all the way through...

Would the closing have anything to do with it being built on the old wollaton pit canal?

Bip.

Junktion7 on Canning Circus will be closing its doors for the last time on December 31st 2008 !!!

This is the message that we never wanted to write.

Due to the grim economic climate, the subsequent decline of the live music scene and the unbridled brutality of our beloved corporate friends, Junktion7 will be closing its doors for the last time on December 31st 2008.

Over the last many months we have all worked desperately hard to keep this venue afloat, but in the end our efforts have come to nothing and we've been left with no choice.

So, after almost 7 years of truly live independent music in Nottingham, it's time to say goodbye.

We do hope, however, that when you walk past our building in the future and see a soul-less trendy wine bar or a faceless supermaket or whatever they choose to do with our little corner of the world, you will see the mark of where the high tide of Nottingham's independent music scene once stood, and spare a second or two for all the awesome memories we've all had in this little concrete rock n roll bunker.

It's now in the hands of the other independent live venues in the city... we know it will rise again. Support your local scene, and don't let this happen again.

In the meantime, it's time to party like there's no 2009!! We would like you ALL to come down to all of these FABULOUS shows and give Junktion7 the send-off it deserves, culminating with the mother of all parties on New Year's Eve 2009.

Adrian, Julio, Hannah and all the staff @ Junktion7.

The captain crew are going down with this ship.

COMING UP AT JUNKTION7

THE PARTY LIKE THERE'S NO 2009 TOUR

What was the original name of the Junction 7, it escapes me.

Beefsteak and I can remember our late great Scouser friend there playing the guitar upstairs.

Albert Corser.

RIP. Albert

The George ?? .

I hadn't realised that Albert had died , I was only thinking of him the other day . The first time we met was about 4 in the morning in 1984 when he invited me round to his for a bacon buttie , I ran out of petrol going up Derby road , and had to push my put put up the hill . I also didn't realise that this was the venue we were talking about (It's been a long time since I had a proper "Bat round town" !!!!!!!

I picked the story up off of that site a few days ago Nick , but I didn't give it much thought as I didn't know where it was . Sorry , I just thought it was some new place going the way of the many.

Another Carlton Pub gone ??

As I mentioned elsewhere both the Old Volunteer and the Blacks head are going in the New Year too

The Carlton on Foxhiil/Valley road is tinned up. I used to go there Sunday lunch when Fred Reacher ran it. They used to have some good Disco's in there in the seventies.

Me and Mrs frank had our wedding reception in there in 1970.

The double decker bus hired from NCT cost us £25 to transport all of our guests from Derby Road (and back later.)

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Pubs closing or closed down