Pubs closing or closed down

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you stood there and paid that for four drinks then you and the landlord deserve each other...I'd have told them to sod off and walked out.

Apart from, BBC news Sky news RT news wild life stuff Cow-boy films Judge judy The chase Fools and horses last of summer wine Emmerdale Coronatio

Posted Images

The old brain is slow-------was more like 40 years ago.

Have some trent bridge junior photos that have tried to post but cant get them to transfer from photobucket to nottsalgia. Any help would be appreciated

From photobucket copy the 'Direct Link' address.

Hit the rte-image-button.png Image button

Paste the address of the image.

Lets see them TB pics ?

• 4 weeks later...

King John on Carrington Street closed probably be pulled down anyway with the broad marsh extension ?

Milestone/Poachers Pocket/Poachers Glaisdale drive now Syedi Mega Curry King Indian restaurant - so it says on the menu pushed though my letter box - when i have 3 hours spare ill type you the menu out .

Sorry, it's one thing turning a traditional English pub into a Tesco Mini-mart, or boarding it up, or turning it into housing, the worst possible fate is turning it into a bloody Indian Restaurant.

We had a lovely ancient thatched pub called the Victoria in the next town, Great Dunmow, why that was allowed to be turned into a curry house was unforgiveable. It was taken over by stealth, first of all it was 'Indian food served here' the smell of which ruined the taste of the Ridleys Beer so that ended my visits. Then the Ridleys vanished, then the front of the building was covered in fake Sanskrit style writing and the transformation was complete.

Next one in a pretty village just outside town here, surrounded by meadows full of cows and a magnet for families sitting outide and enjoying the view. Not anymore, no one sits there enjoying the summer evenings, why would they, the lovely smell of English water meadows with their wild flowers and cattle replaced by the stink of curry and Lahore Lager, no thank you.

There is another one between here and Dunmow, admittedly not a very nice pub, but out in the countryside. When it was taken over and turned into an Asian Gin Palace, the new owners decided to improve the local countryside by adding giant flourescent multicoloured flashing plastic palm trees to the outside, nice one, they wondered why the planners served an enforcement order on them and made them remove them. I think that they are plotting their next cunning plan at the moment, probably herds of giant inflatable plastic elephants in the car park.

The worst of them all was what they did to the Dore and Totley Station restaurant in Sheffield. Did anyone go there, the station remains in use, but the old station buildings were sold off by BR and turned into a bar selling real ales and a really nice traditional restaurant. The walls were decorated with railwayana and you could catch a train in from Sheff and walk straight in, a fantastic place.

Eventually, when it was succesful, it was taken over, turned into a curry palace, renamed the Delhi Junction and reconstructed using fibreglass minarets and other fake Asian architectural crap, how they got away with that one was very strange, they probably poisoned off the appropriate planning officers, I wasn't prepared to give them the chance.

Gets me where all the goodies that adorned the walls in these places vanished to....must be so much stuff like that just rotting away in cellers or wherever.....same with what museums have hiding away.

"The old Scotholme pub on Radford road is soon to be a curry house." well it's in the right place for customers! here's another, The Old Moot Hall, corner of Friar Lane, closed May 9th 1941! Seriously though went to Matlock today, apart from the usual pubs you pass due to a suspect fatal crash (road shut for 5 hrs between Ambergate and Cromford) we had to go via Belper and Wirksworth and didn't see a single pub tinned up or for sale, plus even the "basic former pit villages/towns" all appeared in better nick than notts ones, and as for the eyesore next to the Welcome To Nottingham sign on on trent bridge, well just about sums things up up

Gets me where all the goodies that adorned the walls in these places vanished to...

Good question Fynger.

Can anyone remember the 'Whistle Stop' that was situated under the old Victoria Station Hotel. It opened up in the late 60's around the time that Vic Station was being demolished. They obviously got a job lot of old signs from the station, (much to my disgust, I wanted them), and covered the walls with them. They also had half a railway carriage sitting in the middle of the bar, it was an old timber non corridor jobby as well, never knew how they got it down there. Being old train spotters it was a bit of a magnet for us, I seem to recall it was always full of loose women as well, you were always guaranteed a good snog in there. What happened to it, I really can't remember, I don't think it was actually open for long and closed in the early 70's, so what happened to all those signs.

Similarly, what became of the stuff that adorned the 'Delhi Junction', it wasn't just railway signs, there were a lot of old photographs concerning the Midland line from Sheffield to Nottingham, I can't imagine that mine host wanted to adorn his walls with reminders of the British Empire. What did make me smile was whether Sheffield Station changed the title of their tickets from Dore and Totley to Dehli Junction, unlikely, I doubt whether their sense of humour went that far.

On that theme, when I first moved to Braintree in the mid 70's, there was a very modern pub in the middle of a housing estate that decided to get a bit of publicity by buying one of the old Pullman coaches from the Brighton Belle, they installed it in the car park and used it as a restaurant, I have to admit it looked a little out of place, but quite magnificent. The pub has been erased from the planet now, I never found out what happened to the Pullman coach, I hope it wasn't destroyed.

Whilst in San-Diego i went to a 'English' restaurant that was made in a Railway carriage....was full of little plastic flags and ornament 'red' phone boxes.....was weird to see them trying to be 'English'

Was it an English railway carriage, I know that some are lurking about, particularly in that area, they are leftovers from the financially disastrous 'Flying Scotsman' US railtour in the early 70's, when the owner, Alan Pegler, took Flying Scotsman and an entire train over to the States and the whole affair went badly wrong.

I can't recall the details without looking them up, but to recall, FS was left rotting in San Diego and was very nearly sold off for scrap, along with the rest of the train. Fortunately, FS was saved, but I don't recall that the carriages came back, I would have thought that any US entrepreneur would have jumped at the chance of obtaining a few BR Mk1's.

Yes it was english....it was just sat in this huge car-park on a short section of rail and totally covered in union jacks....folks i took thort it was quite quaint and novel....to be honest i found it hillarious.

Yanks eh......I actually think it was run by a scottish bloke.

Good question Fynger.

Can anyone remember the 'Whistle Stop' that was situated under the old Victoria Station Hotel.

I certainly do. It was full of stuff,

I remember sitting on a Milk churn for a stool.

and I remember the railway carriage, but not the loose women?

Those were the days......when one would get pissed on two pints......these days six pints of Guinness dose the trick.

• 1 month later...

Dunno why...there hasn't been a proper police presence since they shut the old nick on front street and built Fort Oxclose on the old co-op site in Bestwood.The other nick on high street has just been a coppers car park since they built it....no humans.

Just been down the road for some smokes just after 9pm...I was thinking about this thread as I drove past the Eagle...on a whim, popped in...4 in the lounge two in the bar...nipped down the road to the shop and called over the road at the Major Oak Rolleston Drive...no cars in the car park...two in the lounge...3 in the bar.I'm on a roll now ...thought why not? and nipped up the road to the Maid Marian Coppice Road...empty car park...7 in the lounge 2 in the bar...

I know it's a Tuesday night ...but no wonder pubs are closing down,people just aren't using 'em any more.It's got to be prices and smoking ban...The only time I see these pubs reasonably busy is early hours when the local chippy's and builders call in for a couple before going home to the Missus.

Called in the Eagle for one on last Sunday lunch just gone 1pm...there were 4 of us.10 years ago there was a queue at the door clutching pool cues and darts waiting for the doors to open at 12.....not any more.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Pubs closing or closed down