Pubs closing or closed down

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you stood there and paid that for four drinks then you and the landlord deserve each other...I'd have told them to sod off and walked out.

Apart from, BBC news Sky news RT news wild life stuff Cow-boy films Judge judy The chase Fools and horses last of summer wine Emmerdale Coronatio

Posted Images

The Swinger was it's original nickname, as discussed here some time ago. Only ever went there once!

I also only ventured in there once, a really depressing place.

The place would go silent if a stranger walked in !!!

The nickname "Swinger" goes back to the tram days when the poles were swung around at the nearby tram terminus. I THINK !!

I always thought a swinger was a wife swapper, when I saw the name of the pub, I thought they must be very uninhabited in that place!

always was an 'interesting ' place. Yes it was nicknamed 'Swinger' because of its close proximity to the tram terminus next door where Leivers & Millership now own the building and it looks like their empire is growing as they move along the road. The car park of The Swinger is currently in use by one of many 'hand car wash' companies

Good gawd, I put the wrong word in didn't I? Put it down to old age, uninhibited was what I was aiming for. What's one letter wrong between friends? LOL.

I was told the 'swinger' reference was for a former landlady who had 'pendulous' breasts............................allegedly...............

Driving along Alfreton road towards the city the other day I noticed that the pub that was just below Forest road on the same side as the old KFC has closed, it has had a few names but I think it was the windmill years ago.

There is now only 2 pubs on Alfreton road, tho organ grinder and the running horse.

The falcon at Canning circus is up for sale, and the old Ben Bowers restaurant is now a late bar.

It seems strange that of the 3 main roads into Nottingham, Mansfield road, Ilkeston road and Alfreton road, only Mansfield road has managed to keep an abundance of pubs

comming past toby inn on colwick rd yesterday after our day down the coast there was a sign outside saying sorry we are closed any know if this is perminant or just a tempoary was going to surgest we go in for the carvery.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

also coming down is the man of trent at clifton

They are building a Macdonalds and a KFC on the site of the Man of trent, according to NEP today, seems a strange choice of location, as the traffic is terrible around there and it is a nightmare trying to join the A453 at the best of times.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Pubs closing or closed down