Pubs closing or closed down

Good point Stu re prices.

Went in the Borlase Warren last year & a pint cost me £4.50p. A hundred yards away £2.50p for the same pint !

Rip Off Britain at it's finest, I refuse to pay.

I am pretty much the same, Catfan. The pub of choice for me most often is relatively reasonably priced for the city. It's maybe not the only or most compelling reason I go there regularly but certainly an important additional one.

If I think a pub is taking the mickey then that tends to deter me from going there. Such a pub is the Orange Tree which I've used extensively in the past, being previously both a student and staff member across the road at Nottingham Trent. Apparently now, this pub seems to imagine that it can charge tip-top 'town' prices and yet nothing about the place has changed to suggest that. I like the pub but seldom use it now.

Similarly, the Hand and Heart. Love the place, won't go out of my way to drop in there because of the prices which are frankly insulting for a Nottingham ale house.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you stood there and paid that for four drinks then you and the landlord deserve each other...I'd have told them to sod off and walked out.

Apart from, BBC news Sky news RT news wild life stuff Cow-boy films Judge judy The chase Fools and horses last of summer wine Emmerdale Coronatio

Posted Images

I think I know the pub you mean, Rob. ;)

My local Marstons is The Burntstump which tends to blow hot and cold I think. With the ridiculous 'two for one' means as well it means that odd numbers don't pay reasonable prices.

No wonder they're constantly sending out free offers.

The Old Angel, whilst only closing for a refurb is apparently losing the gig room upstairs which is being turned into flats. I suspect the 'refurb' will see a totally different type of bar emerge. The last really alternative city centre pub gone.

Re: The Old Angel; this appeared on one of the Old Nottingham Facebook pages only a few days ago.

“THE DEPARTED SPIRIT.

“NOTTINGHAM PUBLIC-HOUSE ROBBERY.

“A systematic series of thefts from the Old Angel Inn, Stoney-street, was revealed at the Nottingham Police-court to-day [24th March 1911], when Horace Shears, a young man who had been employed on the premises as a cellarman, pleaded guilty to stealing five bottles of whiskey, two bottles of gin, and one of sherry, together with a quantity of towels and handkerchiefs of the total value of about £3. Lizzie Stagg, aged 37, single woman, living at 18, Woolpack-lane, was charged with receiving the liquor, well-knowing it to have been stolen, and through Mr. H. B. Clayton she pleaded “not guilty.”

“Mr. A. Barlow, who prosecuted on behalf of the Licensed Victuallers’ Association, said Shears had been in the employ of Mr. Lane, the proprietor of the Old Angel for ten months, and had had access to the stores. On the 17th inst.. Mr. Lane missed a bottle of whiskey, and his suspicions fell upon Shears. The police were informed and D.o Rogers visited Stagg's house and asked her if she had any of the spirit. She said she had only had one bottle, but the officer searched the house and found three bottles of whiskey in the kitchen cupboard. She then produced two bottles of gin and one of sherry, and said, “I might as well tell you the truth. I paid 1s. 6d. a bottle, but thought it was all right.”

“Mr. Lane gave evidence in support.

“Mr. Clayton: I suppose your complaint is that the spirit of the Old Angel has departed?

“Witness: I don’t know what you mean.

“Further evidence having been given, Mr. Clayton called Stagg's servant girl, who said that in her presence Shears had told her mistress that he was drunk when he “broke down” some whiskey and spoilt it. He could, therefore, let her have it cheap.

“Shears entered the witness-box himself, however, and denied this statement. He said knew the whiskey was stolen because he had told her so.

“Mr. Clayton pleaded Stagg’s excellent record, and said that she did not know the value of whiskey. She honestly believed that Shears had spoilt the spirit and could sell it to her.

“The magistrates decided to convict in each case. Shears was sent to prison for two months, and Stagg was fined £2 or one month.”

'Nottingham Evening Post', 24th March 1911.

• Upvote 1

This one actually closed down several years ago, but I went past the site recently and someone might remember it. The former "Wilford" pub built in the early 70s in the 'new' Meadows, at the top end of Wilford Road near the Furse building. The church in the background is St George's.

wilford.jpg

#1168...............should have said Fox and Crown........

Heard today its not closing down...........good source......Don the Barber.........

• Upvote 1

I Only up-dated for you David..........did'nt want you fretting....lol...............saw Don the Barber in Bulwell this morning,..bet you know him...he goes in there..

• Upvote 1

Understand that the Lord Roberts is not closing down but that they are carrying out a refurbishment. Speaking to someone about it recently and he mentioned something I didn't know about the place in that there is a large cellar room potentially suitable for live music.

• 5 weeks later...

Fox and Crown - isn't that the Alcazar brewery pub? It always seems packed when I go.

Not closed but there has been a problem or two ;)

I paid The Fox & Crown this lunch time & the man who brewed the beer "left" (under a cloud?) & took all the beer recipes with him.

There has been other problems too(not openly discussed)

Good news brewing will recommence tomorrow.

• Upvote 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Pubs closing or closed down