Pubs closing or closed down

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you stood there and paid that for four drinks then you and the landlord deserve each other...I'd have told them to sod off and walked out.

Apart from, BBC news Sky news RT news wild life stuff Cow-boy films Judge judy The chase Fools and horses last of summer wine Emmerdale Coronatio

Posted Images

The few pence change from Widdowsons was either used to pay my Nuthall Road library fines, or buy some bubble gum :)

Kath and I also knew the higher shops as 'top shops' and my Mum walked up Bells Lane to do most of her shopping there...as did I.

I knew the Stansby's, as their son Phil? went to Pavement with me. He was from the Ellis intake and the family lived at the 'up market' - and somewhat mysterious - private housing on Llanberis Grove, off Nuthall Road.

Very much a 'no go' area for us Council estate folk.

Recall once going to the house to meet him, and his mother made me wait outside in the pouring rain, whilst my admission was considered!

Cheers

Robt P.

Rob, was LLanberis Grove on the left after the Barleycorn? [going towards town] If it was, I know what you mean about mysterious. It went up hill and you couldn't see many of the houses without actually walking up there. I never went on that road, had no reason to.

Yes indeed....that's the one.

Totally insulated community of large houses for affluent folk..

IIRC, a walled entrance from Nuthall Road was the first deterrent.

Towards the end of the Grove Coniston Way, from the Stockhill Estate, almost backed on - but the riff-raff were kept out by means of another high wall.

Only ever went up there to visit the Stansby's, but thereafter the air of mystery and intrigue still remained.

Cheers

Robt P.

Your word 'affluent' reminded me of a bumper sticker I saw In Flagstaff the other day. The ski area there is called Arizona Snowbowl, and they are trying to get artificial snow making there so that they can have a bigger season [snow being a no-show these past few years] For the artificial snow they want to use treated waste water. The bumper sticker say 'Ski Arizona Toiletbowl, where the affluent meets the effluent'. It made me smile.

I remember those stone walls on Llanberis. Do you remember they pulled down a block of council houses just below there, to make a bus bay, opposite the Barleycorn.

You're both bringing back happy memories I thought I'd forgotten...

weell..to tell the truth I had!

Talking of The Barleycorn if you walked just past there and kept on the same side of Nuthall Road I reckon there used to be some orchards.

I know every Springtime when I was little I would go up the jitty past the orchards..where I'd scrump an apple or two!!

and buy my Mum the biggest bunch of double white lilacs. Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!

Your word 'affluent' reminded me of a bumper sticker I saw In Flagstaff the other day.....

A current UK 'in' word, especially in advertising and marketing circles, is "solutions".

Almost every seller now suggests they have a solution for the buyer...

Some recent examples, courtesy of Private Eye, are:

"Yeoman Rainguard Rainwater Solutions"...gutters

"End of Life Vehicle Depollution Solutions"...scrap yard

"Elliott Loohire: Street Urination Solutions"...public toilets

"The Company of Animals: Behavioural Solutions"...dog leads

"DRS Solution include scalable e-counting technology"...electronic voting service, responsible for Scottish election shambles

Cheers

Robt P.

It's great to hear "in" words from the UK.

While I was in Spain I watched the television which they picked up

from England.

I've been trying to remember some of the "in" words I heard.

"You plonker or He was a plonker" springs to mind right now , that one made me smile.

One place I always think affluent people lived was a little road off

Nuthall Road I think it was Lime Ave or something like that.

I know our doctor (before we had Dr Ryan) lived and had his surgery

there.

That was many years ago, if you went there in the evening the curtains were never drawn and you could see inside.

They had the biggest chandelier I had ever seen, it was gorgeous.

Anne

It's great to hear "in" words from the UK.

While I was in Spain I watched the television which they picked up

from England.

I've been trying to remember some of the "in" words I heard.

"You plonker or He was a plonker" springs to mind right now , that one made me smile.

The phrase "What a plonker " etc comes from the T.V. series "Only Fools and Horses" aimed at his kid brother Rodney by Del Boy Trotter.

I lived in Ibiza for four years in the 90s and after work in the morning when we were cleaning up and restocking the 'fridges we used to put 'Sky News' on or CNN .One of the biggest shocks I ever had was the day we switched on and the breaking news was the death of Princess Diana very somber morning after that

Anne, it's Lime Tree Ave. Our doctor was in there too, first house on the left. His surgery was upstairs. We had Dr Rutherford when I was a kid, then Dr Hargreaves joined him later. Then Dr Stuart. A thick Scottish accent he had. Each doctor lived [in turn] in the big house on Nuthall Rd, up a bit from Llanberis Grove, and opposite. It stood behind a wall and was well back from the road. You could only see the house from upstairs on the bus. I remember Dr Ryan was up the side of the backside of the Commodore.

Rob,had to laugh at the word 'solutions' and how they used them! A convuluted way of speaking.

Now then you plonkers....

I do remember Only Fools and Horses..I loved that show and always watch the reruns if I get the chance.

Yes..I remember exactly where I was when they announced the death of

Princess Diana. I know she will always be close to my heart. I admired her so much.

I was out for a walk with my friend who was returning home to East Bridgford that day after being here for my daughter's wedding.

When we got back the tv was on and they were talking about the accident, I sat and watched until they sadly annouced her death.

You are right Kath, it is Lime Tree Ave, thanks me duck.

One day I shall have a chrystal chandelier to hang on my wall.

Who sang the song about that?

Rob, have you got any more 'in' words for us?

I keep trying to use 'solutions' but aren't having any luck yet..but I will! :Kiss:

One day I shall have a chrystal chandelier to hang on my wall.

Who sang the song about that?

Charley Pride sang it although I seem to rember some one else singing it on the juke box in my old local (Ned Miller I think) and am I right in thinking that Charlie Pride is a Black Country and Western singer?

Rob, have you got any more 'in' words for us?

I keep trying to use 'solutions' but aren't having any luck yet..but I will! :Kiss:

When Michael Atherton was England's cricket captain, his mate Nasser Hussein used to have bets with him over whether he could use certain of his [Nass] nominated words during post-match media press conferences.

Can't recall many, but some were such challenges as:

"Post-impressionist", "egregiuos","libertine" etc...

Perhaps the most demanding selection was ""phenothiazine"!

Athers eventually began to struggle with Hussein's choices and secretly enlisted former cricketer, turned journalist, Jonathan Agnew to feed him a contrived question which enabled him to use the particular word smile2

Cheers

Robt P.

Hiya I'm not LOL cos I don't know what the heck you're on about!!!

Am I fick or summat...

Kath..help!

They're speaking a foreign language, and I think phenothiazine

sounds just like a drug :blink:

Yes..I think you're right..it was Charlie Pride..I saw him at the CN

exhibition a few! years ago.

I always liked him.

I think the words go "ohhhh, the chrystal chandelier hangs on the.....??

Not all of the words but from memory

Oh the crystal chandeliers light up the paintings on your walls

The marble statuetes are standing stately in your halls

But will the timely crowd that had you laughing loud

help you dry your tears ?

when the new wears off of your chrystal chanderliers

;)

oh and LOL means Laughs Out Loud

I never did fit in too well with the folks you knew

The chosen girl of the social world so the stories tell

But you traded me for the gaiety of the well to do

and you turned away from the love I offered you.

Chorus

;)

Good one Beefsteak. You got it!

I could only remember the first few words so thanks a bunch.

Now I'm on a mission now to find the tune!!

I have bits of it now floating around in me mind though!

Love the piccie.

If it was left to me all pubs in the Sawley distric would be closed on the understanding they could open again only if they sold HP.

Bip.....not a happy fellow.

If it was left to me all pubs in the Sawley distric would be closed on the understanding they could open again only if they sold HP.

Bip.....not a happy fellow.

I thought I had been boozing then cos im'e seeing double

;)

Nah, there is just an echo in here, in here, in here.........

;)

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Pubs closing or closed down