Pubs closing or closed down

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you stood there and paid that for four drinks then you and the landlord deserve each other...I'd have told them to sod off and walked out.

Apart from, BBC news Sky news RT news wild life stuff Cow-boy films Judge judy The chase Fools and horses last of summer wine Emmerdale Coronatio

Posted Images

I remember that pub very well, even as an 11 year old. It was just round the corner from where I lived. Used to pass it on me way to school and some of my pals lived very near to it. Remember the furniture place opposite. 

That street today is absolutely nothing like it was. The old sandstone wall on the right of CTs link is the original perimeter wall of Christ Church that was still there when I was a nipper, I can remember it being demolished. It became our adventure playground and I've still got the scars to prove it. The South side of the graveyard was landscaped to become a rest garden, ( all the gravestones were leaned against the East wall.) The dividing wall is all that remains of the South wall of the church. The North section was left derelict as far as I know intil we left Denton steet in 1957. I see it is now a childrens play area, quite ironic really 'cos that's what we used it for. My main reason for remembering Ronald street is because of the church as that's where I jumped off the wall, hitting my knee on my jaw and biting my tongue in half, ( but that's another story).

• Like 1

Melissa, I must have passed your mum and aunt every day when going to school. I clearly remember the large garden that number 15 had ( to the left when looking at front door). It's all buiilt on now and the house now has a very narrow bit of garden. We urchins always thought those two houses were very 'posh' compered to our slum houses. There were some houses in Havelock terrace where you walked through an archway at the side of the pub ( which also led to the pub delivery entrance), my pal Dennis Dunstan lived with his many siblings. Also living there was a Mrs. Shopstone, who to my young eyes was the biggest woman I'd ever seen. Everybody knew Nellie Shipstone. Another school chum was Terry Gilmore, who I believe lived next door to the 'Havelock'. His grandadad lived a few doors further up and he was the local bookie, also where my dad sometimes sent me to him either to place a bet, or borrow 5/-d till payday.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I found an old, rather yellowed filed plan among papers I was sorting through the other day. It shows Garden Street around 1966 ish. I'll look it out. Looks nothing like that area today.

And this is the map Jill refers to. I assume the General Havelock (which brought us here) is the P.H. I've arrowed on Ronald Street. Bloomsgrove Street is no longer a through road to Denman Street.

AnOttfi.jpg

Thanks, CT.

It would have been around 1967/8 that my father went to see someone he knew who had just moved into a flat/maisonette in Denman Gardens. The place was brand new. I went with him. I don't think I realised how close I was to the site of number 4 Garden Street otherwise I would undoubtedly have wanted to go and have a look. The old street pattern had already changed and most of the area looked like a building site.

No sign of Denman Gardens today. Perhaps those flat-roofed constructions didn't last very long.

1 hour ago, Cliff Ton said:

I believe Denman Gardens was this kind of thing...........

https://picturenottingham.co.uk/image-library/image-details/poster/ntgm013604/posterid/ntgm013604.html

....even though the photo shows Connaught Gardens, which was nearby.

My Aunt and Uncle lived in Denman Gardens. I believe Wolsey Avenue is now in it's place (where my sister used to live) the family have stayed very local to Radford.

50 minutes ago, MelissaJKelly said:

ven though the photo shows Connaught Gardens,

I vaguely remember Connaught street, so wonder if the gardens took over that name. Cannot recollect where it was though. Could do with an old street map to prompt me. Lots of street names flood back. I'm sure I had and Uncle and Aunt who lived off Denman street, but I'm buggered if I recall the street. I know there was a pub on the street, which I believe was the Rising Sun. I would pass it on the way to Brassey street recreation ground or to the 'Tanner barber, on Independant street, ( he only used hand clippers and should have been a butcher). Thing I remember about my Uncles, ( Bill Hudson) place was that they only had one tap in the middle of a communal yayrd., for all the terraced houses.

On 8/19/2023 at 12:26 PM, Beekay said:

I vaguely remember Connaught street, so wonder if the gardens took over that name. Cannot recollect where it was though. Could do with an old street map to prompt me. ......... I know there was a pub on the street, which I believe was the Rising Sun. I would pass it on the way to Brassey street recreation ground .......

All the streets, and more. The Rising Sun is the P.H. arrowed.

IIaCMRw.jpg

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the link CT. Much obliged. Have captured  a map of Radford, but don't have clue how I did it. Cheers !

• 2 weeks later...

It closed on Sunday. The landlord wanted to leave some months ago apparently but was persuaded to stay on by Green King, the brewery. Currently there’s nobody wishing to take it on. It’s was a busy riverside pub but the trade is seasonal. I used to patronise it in the ‘60’s. It was the topic of conversation in the ‘Waggon’ last night amongst the three customers including me!