Pubs closing or closed down

Yes, I know it....located at the Alpine Street/Lincoln Street 'dog's leg'...mock Tudor type facade.

Must have driven by 17,641 times - but never been in.

IIRC, it was at those sloping sharp bends - shortly after WW1 - where a tram skidded and went out of control off the icy rails; killing the driver and about 7 passengers, when eventually hitting a high wall.

Cheers

Robt P.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you stood there and paid that for four drinks then you and the landlord deserve each other...I'd have told them to sod off and walked out.

Apart from, BBC news Sky news RT news wild life stuff Cow-boy films Judge judy The chase Fools and horses last of summer wine Emmerdale Coronatio

Posted Images

Yes, I know it....located at the Alpine Street/Lincoln Street 'dog's leg'...mock Tudor type facade

That's the one Rob..you've described it perfectly and to think it's still there, that's good though.

The trolleybuses used to go past it I think. It was scary on the bend.

It's an old pub, I once went to a wedding reception there.

Nowadays a digital camera would be out in next to no time! :Shock:

Come on BF..we know you can be bought!

What about 3 bottles..

Will that unseal your lips??

I remember a little pub in Basford called The White Swan.

Anybody know if that one's still there?

Hi Anne

Went past there on Friday on my way to have a couple in the Fox & Crown (micro brewery attached) http://www.alcazarbrewery.co.uk/pageview2.asp?cust=421

The pub is still there but closed and up for lease. Locally it is known as the 'Mucky Duck' Used to go in their of a lunch time on payday when I worked at Vedonis back in the late sixties

I'll see if I can get you a photo meduck

Went past there on Friday on my way to have a couple in the Fox & Crown (micro brewery attached) http://www.alcazarbrewery.co.uk/pageview2.asp?cust=421

The pub is still there but closed and up for lease. Locally it is known as the 'Mucky Duck' Used to go in their of a lunch time on payday when I worked at Vedonis back in the late sixties

I'll see if I can get you a photo meduck

I went to beer festival up at a small town near here called Frodsham a couple of years ago and I sampled some of the beer from the Alcazar (Basford) brewery .The C.A.M.R.A. representative had been there but couldn't put a name to the pub where it was ,so thanks for that Frank

;)

Yes..that's right..it was called The Mucky Duck. I'd forgotten that.

A photo would be great Frank, before they decide to demolish it.

I remember Vedonis well..I worked at Wm Dixon's in Hounds Gate..and we did a lot of business with them.

Ps...somebody's got to explain what these micro brewery's are.

I've never heard of them.

I do know they've got something to do with BEER

!cheers!

After a quick read..I am really surprised the larger breweries

'allow' the microbreweries to get away with making their own beer and selling it openly.

I bet microbeer is stronger than any regular beer made by the giants who have been around forever.

Competition is good though... !cheers!

After a quick read..I am really surprised the larger breweries

'allow' the microbreweries to get away with making their own beer and selling it openly.

I bet microbeer is stronger than any regular beer made by the giants who have been around forever.

Competition is good though... !cheers!

It’s a free market Anne and as long as they pay their taxes all is sweet.

Many big brewers like Marstons refuse to recognise the smaller brewer [Micro Brewer] and don’t see them as a threat to their trade but I reckon they are miss guided in there thinking.

On day all pubs will sell Harvest Pale, you know it makes sense not only for takings but also for the little drinker like me who at this moment in time has to do with drinking H H Dark.

Strength of the beers from microbreweries varies no more than the big boys; all parties make a wide range of beers with a wide range of strengths.

Bip. :Kiss:

Errr Umm did you say a 'little drinker' like me BIP?

Excuse me while I go outside for a laugh!!

I've been making inquiries today about microbreweries here and they say there are some..but not too many though...there are more 'Out West'.

We have beer stores and we have liquor stores..and I've found out it's the liquor stores where they sell the micro beer.

I'll have a look probably tomorrow.

I wish you'd move that poor little pig BIP...I feel so sorry for him

!hungry!

YEAH MOVE THAT BLOODY PIG DEN IT'S GIVING ME NIGHTMARES.....thanks ;)

For the Sawley dwellers:

If you fancy a drive for a microbrewed pint, try a trip to the John Thompson in Foremark (first right after you go over Swarkstone Bridge). They sell a bitter called "John Thompson" - and if you are lucky, the owner will be working behind the bar. Then you can say you had a pint of John Thompson, in the John Thompson served by John Thompson!

http://www.diningpubs.co.uk/pub_details.asp?id=212

Just a little snippet of useless information. We have a drive through liquor store in town. Weird eh? What's even better is they sell guns too. It's also a sporting goods store as in huntin' shootin' 'n fishin'. As if that ain't enough, we also have a store that sells Guns, Ammo and Avon. He sells the guns, she sells the Avon. Only in America!

Katyjay - there is a drive-through liquor store in Ann Arbor too!

When I lived in Sheridan, Wyoming not only was there a drive through liquor/ammo store - they would also give you "go cups" in the bars! - When the bar was closing, they would come round with plastic cups so you could leave and take your drink with you!

Katyjay - there is a drive-through liquor store in Ann Arbor too!

When I lived in Sheridan, Wyoming not only was there a drive through liquor/ammo store - they would also give you "go cups" in the bars! - When the bar was closing, they would come round with plastic cups so you could leave and take your drink with you!

I got a go cup from Capt Tonys Saloon in Key West FLA

cup.jpg

also Den There used to be a micro brewery down at Trent Lock (The one over the canal) They used to sell a brew called Titanic ,it was that strong they only sold it in 1/3rd of a pint measures, if you drank 3 you got a certificate of presumed insanity

That pub at Trent Lock is "The Steamboat" - I think the micro-brewery there was short lived. About ten years ago the landlord was Billy Matchet - who I went to school with! I believe it has recently been renovated.

Was in there 2 nite 4 a leisurely 4 pints.

How the weather as changed? Sat 2 nite on the banks of the trent watching the swans and Canadian geese being fed by passers by who looked like they come down here often with stale bread especially for the feeding of.

Didn’t know about the alleged brewery at the steamboat. And yes the pub has been re-vamped with prices 2 match.

Bip.

Thank God that orrible little pig's gone BIP..he was driving me crazy!!!

I'll let you know about the flashing light!!!

I remember sitting on the steps of the Trent feeding the swans..it's great to know they are still there.

I don't know about the Canada Geese though..there are so many here they make an awful mess on the Lakeshore and in the parks.

:rolleyes:

I don't know about the Canada Geese though..there are so many here they make an awful mess on the Lakeshore and in the parks.

:rolleyes:

Yeah - they're your geese, can't you keep 'em over there? They mess up our parking lot summat terrible!

No sorry Limey...we can't control em.

They don't even need a passport to cross the border either.

I don't know how they got across to the UK though.

You keep em Limey..we don't want em back.

:yahoo:

There has been many letters wrote 2 the Evening Post here in Gun smoke city Nottingham about the mess the Canadian geese are making on the Trent embankment but 2 date nothing as been done 2 control their numbers. The swans are under threat 2 from the polish/ Bulgarian immigrants who find the meat of said swans 2 their liking. Personally I prefer a slow roasted Mallard over hickory chips myself.

Bip.

I know here to control them..they sometimes oil the eggs that have been laid in the Springtime to help control the numbers that hatch.

Canada Geese are hardy healthy birds and they do make lots of mess everywhere they go.

I was absolutely astounded when I read about your poor old swans being eaten...that's awful.

Are you kidding me??

Now Peking Duck...lovely!!!

!hungry!

No as I said in an erlier post there were over 100 breeding pairs on a large lake between Stoke and Derby it is now bare (All taken by a bunch of Pykies in about eight days BAS***DS

;)

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Pubs closing or closed down