Pubs closing or closed down

Wasn't it called 'The Parliament'?

Quite possibly Zab but for some reason I thought it was something wet and fishy - on second thoughts, 'Parliament' would fit the bill. Seriously though, something like 'The Dolphin' sticks in my mind but then, like my old girlfriend, I'm knocking on a bit!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you stood there and paid that for four drinks then you and the landlord deserve each other...I'd have told them to sod off and walked out.

Apart from, BBC news Sky news RT news wild life stuff Cow-boy films Judge judy The chase Fools and horses last of summer wine Emmerdale Coronatio

Posted Images

It was called 'The Parliament House' for over a century, it changed to the Princess in 1981, then to Nico's in 1988, and shortly after that to The Cask and Bottle. It ceased being a pub in 2000.

Once again thanks to Douglas Whitworth's 'Nottingham Pubs' for the info.

It was called 'The Parliament House' for over a century, it changed to the Princess in 1981, then to Nico's in 1988, and shortly after that to The Cask and Bottle. It ceased being a pub in 2000.

Once again thanks to Douglas Whitworth's 'Nottingham Pubs' for the info.

Thanks for the info' folks. My memory is obviously playing tricks as to the name of the pub (very probable, but not about the name of the girl) or I have the location totally incorrect, which points to memory again. I must go and suck a rusk!

Yep , it was Byrons until it closed and was demolished around the mid-90s. It was the Dolphin before being Byrons, but I'm not sure when the name changed. Not a bad place, without any noisy city centre morons. For a few years in the 80s I used to go in there quite a lot.

Because of its location there were always had quite a few off-duty coppers in there. I used to wonder if they were having a few drinks before they went on duty, or after they'd come off. So either they'd be driving home over the limit, or driving around in Panda cars over the limit.

Yes it was a good pub. But the best place around there was the Police Bar itself.

Cheap beer and usually packed, particularly on a Wednesday night.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i'm afraid to say that yesterday during my travels around, as i went past bulwell common the golden ball has been demolished.

happened a few weeks ago apparently and an old folks complex is to be built on the site.

I forgot to mention that during my sojourn to the homelands last week I had cause to witness a sad, sad sight, they were demolishing "The Toby Jug"

Mind you , whoever it was on the council that took a back hander and allowed the building of a "Weatherspoons" right next door, need their crackers removing with a lump hammer!!

Aye up Phil, how things, hope they hurry up with that OAP home, I'm 65 on sunday! :sorry:

things are good ash!

if they reinstate the bar form the golden ball at the oap home, i'll be sure to visit you often!

slightly off topic i know but it was nice to see those two new rathole pics btw.

It was good to see the King Charles [?] pub at Rise Park is now converted to a Spar supermarket. Good that the pub is not just sitting there getting vandalized and good that they've got a food shop again.

Just been past the Grove on Castle Boulevard, it is all boarded up, looks like it is final.

That's only happened within the last couple of days. Always seemed to be pretty busy with a mixture of locals and students.

Sudden closures like that often mean some kind of dodgy activities/dealings might've been going on.

My brother is an inspector for CAMRA and looks at pubs on the Notts/Derby border around Ripley/Alfreton. The trouble is, Greene King have taken over all the Hardy Hansons pubs, they even produce a lying, spurious ale called Hardy Hansons Dark, what a load of crap. CAMRA are well aware of the deviousness that GK are up to, they won't have anything to do with them and their lies. There is currently a backlash against GK in this area and several new micro breweries such as Amber at Ripley are doing well. Please support these people and if you are out for a pint, do not drink GK and help to save the local brewing industry in this country. Please note that GK have taken over many local pubs that they are quite happy to sell off for whatever profit they can make, meaning Tessies and whatever.

Do not ever buy a pint of their urine again and we'll see these scum off, trouble is you get conned in the all embracing GK doctored supermarket shelves with the so called GK 'Real Ale' what a con, look at the label closely and throw it on the floor.

Progress?

Manipulation by fat cats I call it. Do not buy Greene King and their alter egos, Morelands (what a con, they pretend it's a seperate brewery), Ruddles, Ridleys, Hardy Hansons, it's all bollocks, help destroy these vile, destructive con merchants by not buying their products, walk away from a Greene King pub and they'll soon be in the financial shite, hopefully.

Love a pint of Greene King Abbot Ale and Old Speckled Hen and nothing any body says will stop me drinking them (Particularly as my 'New' local is a "Hungry Horse" restaurant and they only sell G.K. !!

I suppose you'd have us all riding in Horse drawn carriages up to our necks in Doo Doo .

Buying groceries by the bag from loose boxes in a corner shop with your weekly bill coming to 200 quid as opposed to the 100 it costs now . Then complain cause all of those fat cat farmers are driving their 4x4s every where polluting up the atmosphere.

If you want to complain about something people are really bothered about , try the price of petrol / diesel, and the fact that they took a penny (A whole effing penny) off the price of a litre and then shoved 10p on a pint of beer , go figure !!

I take it you have a dislike to this company then Pete :)

Do we put then in the mould of Top Shop, Santander etc.

Down with them I say.... Paint bombs at the Ready!!!

What do you mean they pay tax!

Well thats alright then :)

Mines a pint of their best pale ale, none of this wishey washy Harvest Pale crap for me!

Love a pint of Greene King Abbot Ale and Old Speckled Hen and nothing any body says will stop me drinking them (Particularly as my 'New' local is a "Hungry Horse" restaurant and they only sell G.K. !!

I suppose you'd have us all riding in Horse drawn carriages up to our necks in Doo Doo .

Buying groceries by the bag from loose boxes in a corner shop with your weekly bill coming to 200 quid as opposed to the 100 it costs now . Then complain cause all of those fat cat farmers are driving their 4x4s every where polluting up the atmosphere.

If you want to complain about something people are really bothered about , try the price of petrol / diesel, and the fact that they took a penny (A whole effing penny) off the price of a litre and then shoved 10p on a pint of beer , go figure !!

Have you no principles Ian, lick the backside of big business, drink fabricated urine and you'll continue along the road to allow the fat cat profiteers to make you pay high prices for petrol/diesel, they all crawl out from under the same Etonian stone. Your reference to horse drawn carriages has nothing to do with this, I don't live in the past, it's people like you that allow city dealers to destroy the brewing industry in this country. I don't appreciate trying to find a pint at the famous Greyhound in Cromford and finding that they are now a GK pub and sell fabricated, artificial Hardy Hansons Dark, what does that mean, well I know, it means the loss of jobs in Kimberley while the perpertrators of this con live happily in East Anglia, hugging themselves at making profits out of a lie. If you are prepared to go along with this con trick, then you should be ashamed of yourself.

This all happened years ago with Whitbread and the pond water that they used to sell as 'beer', what happened to them, the directors took the profits and ran, the same thing happened to Greenall Whitley et al, shut the local pubs and breweries down, buy up the property, sell their p1$$, or sell the premises off to Tesco's, nothing changes thanks to people like you Ian, stick together and we could see off these scumbags.

Do you know what really brings it home, every day I drive past our local brewery, formerly Ridleys, a gutted shell thanks to GK, they can't get anywhere with the place, they were hoping to do a property development deal and make a massive profit at the price of folks liveliehoods, but the local authority were not bullied by the GK scum, it makes me weep everytime I drive past, that's progress is it Ian.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Pubs closing or closed down