Pubs closing or closed down

I think the White Hart dates back to the 50's

I had to look this one up out of interest Eric. Couldn't find anything conclusive but it's interesting to see that the original White Hart (which we're not talking about here) goes all the way back to 1765. Maybe not so surprising when you consider the importance of coaching inns on the likes of such an important and historic road as the A60. The Ram and the Waggon are old enough to be out on their own too incidentally!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/g1htl.johnfoster/

I'd a feeling that I could just remember the old White Hart (I may be wrong about that!) which would date it's demise in the early sixties when my family arrived in the locality. These links to Picture the Past don't really give a clear indication. Nice to see the old images though:

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NCCC000199&pos=1&action=zoom&id=37418

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NCCC000198&pos=2&action=zoom&id=37417

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you stood there and paid that for four drinks then you and the landlord deserve each other...I'd have told them to sod off and walked out.

Apart from, BBC news Sky news RT news wild life stuff Cow-boy films Judge judy The chase Fools and horses last of summer wine Emmerdale Coronatio

Posted Images

Ah ha! Yes, I vaguely remember the old version too! I do not have any memory of the new one being built - it was after we left Arnold and before I was interested in such places, it was just the design that made me think it was older!

Good detective work - I owe you a pint!

The Inn for a Penny is still open and on Burton Road . The one on Westdale lane would be "The Westdale" !!!

I don't remember the old one at all but then I would have still been at junior school. I agree with Stu about the demise of a place that used to be so popular. When I was a teenager the two most popular haunts this side of town were The Grosvenor and The White Hart - both used to be packed, both did meals and both had a relatively young clientèle.

I can only assume the demise of the White Hart is down to poor management and a succession of different companies constantly changing the place. The Grosvenor has had its problems but has survived, perhaps, the nearby college has helped but, more importantly, it has had the same owners for quite some time now; I went in a few weeks ago and it seems to be doing ok.

The Inn for a Penny is still open and on Burton Road . The one on Westdale lane would be "The Westdale" !!!

Thanks Ian

Its been a long time since I was in them.

Noticed today on North Sherwood Street that the Sir Charles Napier is boarded up and obviously not open for business.

Seems to have joined its near neighbour the Saracen's Head, which has been closed for quite a while.

I pass those pubs quite a lot and they were always very quiet Cliff. It was no surprise to finally see them boarded up. On the plus side I see that the Hole in the Wall down the road re-opened with a lick of paint or two. I'm not sure if it has a future though as North Sherwood Street - unlike times of yore - doesn't seem to attract much custom. The Mansfield Road pubs and the Orange Tree seem to grab what's going. I think the Gooseberry Bush not far away on Peel Street which has now re-opened as a Wetherspoons with attendant cheap prices will also likely take away custom from what is now a traditionally 'student area'.

I think the latter may prove to be a bit of a master stroke by that chain in time too. The old Byron and Bonington buildings (student union) close by on Shakespeare Street are due to be demolished and replaced with a large 'student village' to add to the large student population already in situ at the Gill Street halls and the like. Love 'em or loath 'em, the people at Wetherspoons seem to do their homework...

Two bits of my history there, I had my first 'drink' in the Hole in the Wall (Proper pint of Bitter Shandy!!!!!!!!!) when I was a 16 year old apprentice at Automart (over the road, on G..oooo.gle Earth there's a "Subway" and student accommodation ?? there now) And in the Gooseberry Bush on Peel Street , I hit my one and only 180 whilst playing darts. My mate Dave hit one and said. "Ha!!, go on beat that then !!" Well I didn't beat it but I equaled it with my next three 'arrows'!

(Never hit one since !!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Re The Star, good news! plenty of raki and Efes pils at £1 a pint plus belly dancers!

Heard The White Hart has new landlord and is being altered, old landlord is at the old Broxtowe Inn on A610, think now called The Nuthall? bikers are welcome , (good for a burn up on the bypass!)

Still nothing much doing at the White Hart, Daybrook site as a huge pile of rubble sits there forlornly. A company called Aldergate Properties of Arnold have a board outside with a telephone number for interested enquirers. It also states 'planning permission granted for retail outlet'. I have seen some plans submitted a while back on Gedling Borough Council's website but I have a feeling that project (yet another Tesco express?) went cold.

Re it's history as discussed above in the thread. I read somewhere recently that the new pub was built behind the old pub whilst the latter was still standing. Seem to remember that too.

• 2 weeks later...

white hart lenton to be a meet and eat pub surposed to be closed for about 8 weeks for its refurb so that takes it to just before christmas but will wait and see . dont know if we will have the same sort off meeting plce though.

sorry that surposed to read meeting place though.

bikers are all split up at the moment meeting in several different pubs on a thursday nights at the moment some of us going to rose and crown derby rd this will also be closing in november for a refurb but due to reopen again 1st december

bye the way love the we me whoever put this onjust me a real angel or should that be hells angel

• 3 weeks later...

I see in today's Evening Post that the site of The Chateau in Wilford is to be a Sainsburys.

Your paper lad must have a very fast bike, to deliver today's Post that quck!! WOW !rotfl! Or is that Northern Arizona near Lenton!!

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Pubs closing or closed down