Pubs closing or closed down

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you stood there and paid that for four drinks then you and the landlord deserve each other...I'd have told them to sod off and walked out.

Apart from, BBC news Sky news RT news wild life stuff Cow-boy films Judge judy The chase Fools and horses last of summer wine Emmerdale Coronatio

Posted Images

In a word ,,,,no !!

3 litres of Old English Cider in Morrisons = £3.20p

1 pint of Cider in the pub = £3.00

or (Near as dammit ) £15.83 for the same ammount.

Not that I do any more, but , you can smoke in your own home, hear yourself think, and watch whatever you want on the telly !!

The only time i go to the pub is to watch a particular footy match as we don't have Sky ! , and believe it or not that puts us in a minority round here !

So between them , it's the government for charging too much tax on booze in the pubs , the government for bringing in the smoking ban, The Football Association , The Premier League and Sky TV for conspiring to keep footy off of terestrial TV that are to blame for it all.

Rant over , I'll have a pint of Greene King please,

• 5 weeks later...

All mentioned on here already chaps, but thanks for the input , and welcome aboard Braddy. (Chris and I are already deep in conversation)

I know it's boarded up (Pass it every time I'm in and out of Nott'm ) but knocking it down too , !! what is the world coming to?

• 2 weeks later...

Crawford Thg Ltd Birmingham, United Kingdom

Viewed this topic via www.google.co.uk — Fire at The Cocked hat Nottingham

at 21 Dec 12:07

30,673 Topic views to date

• 1 month later...

The Kings Head up the road here in Braintree was all boarded up last week, it's been a very popular pub here for years and always busy. But, guess who owns it, and, funny, it has a lot of land with it, Greene King strike again, just as they do everywhere.

My only positive reaction is that in this town where 99% of the pubs are owned by GK, it's another source of their filth and influence out the way.

Incidentally, the past year I've been looking after the garden of a property developer friend of mine. Just down the road is the sad sight of the old Ridley's Brewery, bought out and shut down by Greene King, putting loads of people out of work and taking over the last remaining independant pubs in the area. Everyone around here really resents this. GK were hoping to develop the brewery site into a housing complex and make loads of money for their directors, unfortunately for them, the Local Authority were cute about their ambitions and it can't be touched as it's a greenfield site. GK tried to stop the council from listing it by ripping out the original 19th century brewing equipment on the DAY that they took it over, I gather that they did this to Hardy Hansons as well, what can you say.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Robin Hood and Little John on Church Street, Arnold has been in darkness every time I've been past there recently. If it's not a goner already it looks certain to be judging by the lack of custom there.

A great shame. The Robin used to be a great pub for a sing-song round the piano back in the day. There's also very little left at that end of town now with the Lord Nelson becoming a coffee bar and the Druids Tavern being but rubble. So sad to see the social heart being ripped out of our towns.

my sister gose in there regularly sez they are waiting for a new land lord\landlady again sould be opening again soon but no one holding there breath, my sister gose in for the thursday quiz nights run by her daughters boyfriend. she sez custom has been droping off for some time now as half the time they did not have the beers people wanted.or much beer at all.been a few times on quiz nights but not recently it was always busy every time i went.

Not got all the facts but heard where I think Bingham Residents Association have "took on a pub", assume they have rented one buying in stock and paying a manager plus running costs? thought at first doomed idea? but who knows? our own residents assoc here just 60 odd members set up a legal fund for advice court costs etc against certain things that can happen on a mobile home park, £1 a week each soon added up to 10 grand, and I'm sure for a pub there'd be a lot more and willing to pay more per week to have a pub in a village?

and of course with better transport and many having cars we can go further afield for a drink. i know of course theres the drink driving rules, but you can always take it in turns to drive because dave dont drink we can travel anywere we want when we want.

Went to my local last night to watch the Man Utd match, after a taxi home (a fiver , because they have just been put up $1.50 by our thoughtful local council !!) I spent a total of over 20 quid.. I stayed in tonight with a 3 litre bottle (Unfinished by the way !!..LOL) of Autumn Harvest Cider from 'Bargain Booze', total cost 3 quid.

No brainer really !

I agree it's sad to see the demise of the local pubs but if they are only getting a handful of customers in how can they survive?. The prices go up and up and most people can't afford it anymore.

I agree, they can't survive and that is evident by the great number of them closing down. Any business has to survive on it's own merits. It's sad in some ways but that's they way it is - things will never be how they were. Maybe the biggest shame from my point of view is that in some cases we are losing the history and heritage offered by our old buildings.

Looking around - and many of the posts on this thread will corroborate this - a lot of the pubs that seem to be disappearing tend to be the 'estate' type pubs built relatively more recently. I used to think it was a shame that any local community pub closing down was a shame but have revised my view on that. Somewhere like the Robin in Arnold though, built around 1800-ish with it's own small brewery to the rear has a few tales to tell. Not least the one below when an 'All-England Eleven' cricket team with an opening batsman with the grand name of 'Julius Ceasar' came to play against Arnold. (below).

The Robin Hood, like many other pubs, has seen better days and times have inevitably changed - we can't alter that, nor should we perhaps try to. There are a myriad of reasons why this set of circumstances exists around our old pubs, some on this very thread but I for one will bemoan the loss of these features of the local communities and of our history. Thank goodness for a forum such as Nottstalgia where they can be recorded before they end up as another block of flats, a residential care home or the dreaded 'Tesco Express'.

'In 1853, Thomas Oscroft was the means of bringing to Arnold "the all-England Eleven." It is needless to say that "the Eleven," at that time was the very pick of England's players. The match was played on the "Robin Hood" ground. Eye-witnesses of the match state that the ground was crowded with spectators from all parts of the county and farther. It was no small matter to get such an eleven as the " All England " to play in a country village like Arnold—with about, at that time, 3,000 inhabitants. It was the

Red-letter Day in Arnold cricket, and such a collection of cricketing talent had not been seen before in Arnold, nor has it since. Every man of the "All England" being an Ajax in the art of cricket. No less than six Oscrofts took part—five of the brothers and a relation from Sutton-in-Ashfield. Here Rawson and Richards brought a small tent, and issued the first cricket score ever printed on any

cricket ground in Notts.'

http://www.nottshist...13/arnold15.htm

Just had another thought on this and something else has dawned on me, the government are bringing in a "Minimum cost per unit" for alcohol in a stupid attempt to, cough ,cough , 'stop the binge drinking culture' that would put up a bottle of Autumn Harvest cider from 3 quid to a fiver !! . All together raising umpteen millions of tax revenue for the government.

Now I think I'm correct in saying that because nobody is going to the pub any more and are staying at home with a bottle or two, where they can smoke to their own content, the government are losing money hand over fist, and as people are stopping smoking because of the ban they're losing lots of money there too.

So what do they do, that's right, tax the folks who can't afford to go out any more !!

And re the Taxis going up by £1.50 , thats takes the minimum fare to £3.50, now most people are staying in there are not the amount of taxis needed at night , vis a vis less journeys = less revenue for the council to claim off of the taxi firms so what did they do , yup , up went the price for us mere mortals who want to go out once in a while

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Pubs closing or closed down