Pubs closing or closed down

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you stood there and paid that for four drinks then you and the landlord deserve each other...I'd have told them to sod off and walked out.

Apart from, BBC news Sky news RT news wild life stuff Cow-boy films Judge judy The chase Fools and horses last of summer wine Emmerdale Coronatio

Posted Images

The Beer Orders of 1989 - which forced breweries to sell-off their tied estates - were the catalyst for the decline of the British pub over the past twenty years. The firms which took over were mainly concerned with the real estate rather than selling beer.

It may not be a coincidence that the minister responsible for pushing through the Beer Orders - David Young - made his money in property speculation during the 1960s and 70s..

wheatsheaf inn pub on nuthall road bobbers mill is empty.another one bites the dust. :sorry:

My old dad would turn in his grave at the 'sheaf' going, he propped up the bar (best side) from late 1950's to early 70's....................all those years on shippo's mild...............God rest his soul

• 4 weeks later...

gregory to be student accomadation according to evening post this week

Looks a lot tidier than it used to!

No, seriously, it's a shame because the pub was in a good spot. I'd often go and sit outside for a Friday lunchtime pint when working on Lenton Lane some years ago. Sad to see any 'riverside' pub go.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

the bulivard hartley rd radford bulivard now reopened looking better downd stairs but still a work in progress only the downstairs bar beeing worked on at present.

This place on Clumber Street.

The front still looks like this, but now (not in this photo) there is a small sign over the door saying Sun Valley Amusements.

Not sure how long it's been like that, but can't be more than a few months.

lion.jpg

The Lion on Clumber Street.

I can just about remember the downstairs bar(s) from around 1969.

Was there a staircase to accomodation (hotel rooms) left side of bar.

Years later 80s or early 90s the upstairs was opened up as a bar in the form of a

balcony with view down to the lower bar.

All sounds about right according to my memory, Mick.

Apparently instrumental in Notts County FC's inception and formative years:

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/Check-room-102-Magpies-born/story-14302660-detail/story.html

The White Lion Coaching Inn:

http://www.nottshistory.org.uk/whatnall1928/lion_hotel.htm

nottingham_lionhotel.jpg

I suppose what fooled me is that it still looks like a pub, even if it hasn't been one for a long time (although adverts for tanning give the game away a bit - unless all pubs now offer tanning on the side)

At least Sun Valley didn't turn it into a modern concrete box. Is it listed?

It was a similar case with the Crystal Palace further up Clumber Street. Frontage still retained, looking much as before but converted into an amusement arcade. For my money Nottingham really misses these types of pubs, along with the Old Corner Pin at the top of the same street. I've fond memories of them all.

Most of "The Dog & Bear"(Bridlesmith Gate) is retained(above street level) although most of it is a coffee/tea shop

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM015226&pos=84&action=zoom&id=69156

P.S. It was a Bass house.

This place on Clumber Street.

The front still looks like this, but now (not in this photo) there is a small sign over the door saying Sun Valley Amusements.

Not sure how long it's been like that, but can't be more than a few months.

lion.jpg

back in the 80's my decorating firm painted that frontage, we used an aluminium tower to get all the way to the top, and you don't know the meaning of fear till you've been that high with the tower swaying and wobbling.

my boss actually stopped sending me on jobs using our tower because i was so nervy when up there on it!

also at the time, which was prior to the upstairs being converted into a bar the family that run the lion also had the fox on parliament street, but i cannot remember their name.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Pubs closing or closed down