Pubs closing or closed down

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you stood there and paid that for four drinks then you and the landlord deserve each other...I'd have told them to sod off and walked out.

Apart from, BBC news Sky news RT news wild life stuff Cow-boy films Judge judy The chase Fools and horses last of summer wine Emmerdale Coronatio

Posted Images

my graddad clemets worked at turners tannery as a leather dresser i think the 1920s flu outbreak

Anyone know what year The Britannia Inn, which was opposite the bottom end of Huntingdon St. Bus Station disappeared?

According to the Lost Pubs Project, the Brittana Hotel or Inn at Beck St and Huntingdon St closed in 2000.

http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/nottinghamshire/nottingham.html

And, according to PTP, it was demolished in 2003....

NTGM015110.jpg

Re the Britannia, saw some mates of mine in a band there December 1999, remember it well as had heart bypass less than 6 weeks before but still managed the "spirit in the sky dance" the pub was then known to be closing down, and did so shortly after, think once christmas was over

sorry that sould have said he died i think in 1920s flu outbreak

Britannia was the first "eating out" date I took Mrs C in 1966, a couple of years before she became Mrs C.

Couldn't afford the expensive menu, and in any event was a bit wary of what "steak" would be like, so it was soup, gammon and ice-cream all washed down with a glass of Spanish red. 7/6d a head and really enjoyed it !!

Apres dinner, put her on the 84 Trent back to Sutton; very handy was Britannia for the bus station.

Yes Babs, very popular as all Berni's were in Nottingham, Berni's were considered 'The' place to take girls on a date, I heavily invested in this mode of courtship, probably why I'm 'rotund' now..................... :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

yes noticed it last week when i went to my sisters she told me a bit back it was clossing down for good as they had been having a lot of trouble there and the police were trying to get its liecence revoked perminantly. looks like they did it .

Went past there a couple of days ago but I didn't notice. Not long ago since they spent some money smartening up the outside (well giving it a coat of paint!) Wonder if the car wash gang have moved off from the car park then, they've been there for years.

have not seen them the last few times i have been by when i went by yesterday just a few teenages in the beer garden.

Not quite closing down but.......for the last few months the Borlase at Canning Circus hasn't bothered opening on a Sunday evening. I was there on a Sunday evening earlier in the year and there was literally no-one in apart from one person behind the bar. Don't know how they are doing during the rest of the week.

A care home was built on the site of The Maid Marian in Arnold last year. The same Care Home company that built on the site of the demolished Golden Ball (?) by Bulwell Golf Course. However I can't see the Greyhound site being ideal for a care home, in the middle of Arnold right by the traffic lights.

hey red, i know what your "i apologise in advance" tagline is for now!

whats that place like inside? i would assume its gone from a traditional victorian pub layout, with a lot of original features to the much favoured by imaginationless architects "ikea and beige"!

• Upvote 1

When that was a pub and I was much younger I saw 'Scarrot' shove his head through one of those windows and shout "Come on you Reds" trying to start a fight with the footy fans in there. What the divvot didn't think was the fact that it was May and the season was over !

went past the old general today, noticed there was one of those chutes coming out of a window into a skip, looks like the place may be being stripped out. is it a listed building?

i can't see it being fully demolished myself, but you never know.

they been in it a couple of weeks doing something but the cute only been there a couple of days not heard whats happening to it though.probly another food outlet of some kind thats wats happening to a lot of the pubs around here or some kiind of religious buildings.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Pubs closing or closed down