Pubs closing or closed down

Another for your list KatyJay, the Colliers arms Cinderhill, sadly gone now and Ithink before it could be demolished with some sort of dignity some toerag burned it down

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you stood there and paid that for four drinks then you and the landlord deserve each other...I'd have told them to sod off and walked out.

Apart from, BBC news Sky news RT news wild life stuff Cow-boy films Judge judy The chase Fools and horses last of summer wine Emmerdale Coronatio

Posted Images

I remember that place but not sure exactly where it was. Was it just past the pit on the right as you went to Nuthall, about opposite the Broxtowe Inn? I remember the pit houses at the bottom of Bells Lane, was it Holden Square? There was another square just the same behind the Barleycorn, Harpenden Square. This was all my stomping ground as a kid, we'd wander all over the 'oppit from morning till night, nary a worry for our parents. I used to fish in Fowlers Pond nr the Miners Welfare. Happy days.

Kath

Just before the pit, on the slight bend...just visible from Cinderhill roundabout.

The other colliery housing 'square' was Napoleon....

Harpenden Square was council housing, off Bells Lane....

Cheers

Robt P.

Ayup Katyjay,

Does anyone know if the Pelican on Bracebridge drive is still open? I used to frequent that establishment in the first half of the 70s

Cheers

Roger

It certainly is. I've just fixed the cellar cooler and serviced the indoor AC unit.

It was taken over about 3 years ago by the brother of the chap who runs Chambers Bar & Diner on Maid Marion Way (which I look after as well :victory: )

Nice family who have a history of running drinking establishments in Nottm

...ah so that is what it is called. It was, if I remember correctly the only pub on the estate for miles. When I last saw it, it was boarded up.I remember ?4 years ago having the worst meal of fish and chips there-no wonder it closed.

Of interest at Stelley, the Broad Oak seems to have developed into a huge undertaking. When I first went there it was just 2 tiny rooms,-it must be a goldmine. ;)

There's another one now Stan on Glaisdale Drive but I can't remember what it's called. A fairly recent build, maybe 10 years or so. http://local.live.com/ type in Glaisdale drive and look at the 'Birds Eye View'

The Broad Oak used to be a great small village pub but it was bought out and is now owned by a big chain hence the food and expansion.

I like to remember it as it was. Use to take to missus and kids up there in summer and sit outside. Crap inside now.

I remember when first dating, the Broad Oak at strelly village was a 'Posh' place to me.

Later I believe it was owned by an italian guy.

Has it been extended now?

Is it still Posh?

Typical eating house

Stained bare old floorboards in the bar area with few seats and few tables and then just normal food seating areas in other parts.

Doesn't look like it's had any cash spent on it for a good few years. It's nothing like it was, a real country pub where empty seats were a novelty in summer - even outside!

I did have a roast beef Sunday dinner in the Broad oak not that long ago and the food was spot on its a Hardy's & Hanson's pub .

That one on Glaisdale Drive opened as the Milestone owned by Bankks brewery , it was then called the Poachers Pocket , i believe its just called the Poacher now , on passing i can't say Ive ever seen anyone in or a car in the car park !

Pelican i was in there Boxing day night , Jim superb gaffa , knows how to control the locals .

• 1 month later...
Hi there. Now I've requested this forum, I'd better start the ball rolling.

Heard from my brother in Rise Park, that the Barleycorn and The Red Lion, both in Cinderhill, have or are going to, close down. My mother would turn over in her grave if she knew her watering holes were gone! Brother also said, that lots of pubs are closing at a rate of knots. I know the Cocked Hat in Aspley had gone, also the Duke of Newcastle in old Basford. Sad goings on.

HI THERE

PUBS ARE CLOSING ALL OVER THE PLACE IN NOTTINGHAM, THE POTTERS CLOSED DOWN (FOMERLY THE CAVALIER) ON BECKHAMPTON ROAD BESTWOOD, ALSO HEARD THE DUKE OF ST ALBANS TOP VALLEY IS TO SHUT AND THE CHARLIE 2 AT RISE PARK, MIND YOU THERE REPUTAITIONS HAS DONE THEM NO FAVOURS OVER THE YEARS, I DONT THINK IT WILL BE LONG BEFORE ALL LOCAL WATERING HOLES WILL CLOSE

HARVESTERS GONE

NELL GWYNN GONE

ROYAL HUNT GONE

STANDARD OF ENGLAND CLOSED

GREEN BARREL GONE

GOOSE FAIR (SPORTING CHANCE) GONE

THE DEAR STALKER LONG GONE

THE ONE I MISS THE MOST AND LOVED WAS THE WHITE HEART AT DAYBROOK HAD SOME GREAT NIGHTS IN THERE AND MORE NIGHTS I CANT REMEMBER ( THE HANG OVER) IT WAS ALL WAYS PACKED ON THE WEEKEND AND MOST NIGHTS OF THE WEEK

THANKS

BRAVO

• 3 weeks later...

Via Fossa, one of the pubs lining the canal at Castle Wharf, has closed.

The lease, taken over by the Good Time Pub Company last year, has been assigned to an as-yet-undisclosed new operator.

Isuppose with all the huge taxes imposed by state and local government there is not much left in the kitty for simple pleasures.

..or maybe people just staying home to drink?

Prof Gilmore also attacked supermarkets for selling cut-price drink, and called for a significant hike in the tax on alcohol.

Organisations such as Alcohol Concern put the number of alcohol-related deaths at more than 22,000 a year, nearly three times the official figure. Among both sexes, the official alcohol-related death rate rose most among those aged 35-54, although the rate for both sexes was highest in the 55-74 age group.

The number of middle-aged women drinking themselves to death has more than doubled. The total for women aged 35-54 rose from 512 in 1991 to 1,171, a larger increase than in any other female age group. The figures precede the Government's decision to permit 24-hour drinking despite warnings by the police, judiciary and the medical profession.

My local, The Charles II, at Rise Park lost it's licensee yesterday as she has now taken over the Oxclose, as of today.

Went in Saturday night for swift one while waiting for the bus to take us down to Sherwood for a few more and a meal at the 4 Seasons. Well, no Smiths, no Fosters, no Mansfield, no Mild, not much of anything - ended up with a pint of Guinness (crap). The missus even drained the bottle of Archers with a single dose!

I gather from this that either,

1) the incoming landlord has to quickly visit Hyperama to stock up, or

2) the doors will be closed tonight

don't know the answer as, like the good boy I am, I went straight 'ome from work to cook me missus's tea smile2

I'll take a look tomorrow and let you know

Seems strange, I wonder why the UK has such a problem with alcohol?? When I arrived on Australia's golden shores in 79, pubs were open much longer than UK's. All except Victoria's, they were closed all day in Victoria, beer, wines and spirits were far cheaper, and yet there was really no great problems with drink. Same here in the US, drinks are so much cheaper than the UK and there's hardly any problems.

Uni students go wild at spring and summer breaks, other than that we don't hear of binge drinking. Could it be we have the 21 age limit in the US??

When I was in California, I could pick up a bottle of Johnnie Walker at a third of UK prices, and thats imported!

Seems strange, I wonder why the UK has such a problem with alcohol?? When I arrived on Australia's golden shores in 79, pubs were open much longer than UK's. All except Victoria's, they were closed all day in Victoria, beer, wines and spirits were far cheaper, and yet there was really no great problems with drink. Same here in the US, drinks are so much cheaper than the UK and there's hardly any problems.

Uni students go wild at spring and summer breaks, other than that we don't hear of binge drinking. Could it be we have the 21 age limit in the US??

When I was in California, I could pick up a bottle of Johnnie Walker at a third of UK prices, and thats imported!

Actually, I think there is a bigger problem here than in the U.K. - it just isn't as well publicised.

My wife is a school Principal in a fairly affluent, white-collar neighborhood near Ann Arbor - and they know there is a teenage binge drinking problem. It is especially noticeable in the number of auto accidents involving teenagers - a large percentage of which involve alcohol. I also think the attitude here is strange - "my kid can't drink until he is 21" - so the kids go out in fields and drink massive quantities then drive home - I would rather give my kid a beer in the house!

I once read a great article in the Washington Post that suggested we could solve the teenage drunk-driving problem by making the drinking age 16 and the driving age 21! - Makes sense to me!

Maybe John as you say the age thing might have a lot to do with it but I put it down to live now pay later culture.

My daughter went to Florida many years ago and was refuse to be served at a bar, she was twenty-seven at the time with one child, she had to show her passport before they would serve her.

Take me for instance as you know I like a drink always have done but I wouldn’t say I was a binge drinker or alcoholic even though when I do go out I have no less than five pints unless I’m driving, now according to the experts that makes me a binge drinker.

The problem lies with the amount of choice the young people of today have and the council don’t help with giving drinks license out willy nilly as they have done in Nottingham. Every new building, which is now being built in the centre of Nottingham has at least several outlets where you can purchase alcohol, Nottingham now is riddle with bars and clubs, that might be the reason why so many pubs in and around Nottingham are closing down.

I see the consequences of this culture most Saturday nights in and around the market square also down Hockley, which in my opinion is one of the worse places for it.

God knows what it’s going to be like when Slab Square is fully opened up to the public I dread to think.

Regarding the price of spirits and beer, we are taxed to the hilt and getting worse soon you won't be able to step out of your own house without paying first for the privillage..

Bip. :angry:

My daughter went to Florida many years ago and was refuse to be served at a bar, she was twenty-seven at the time with one child, she had to show her passport before they would serve her.

Bip. :angry:

The reason for that is because the law here is slightly different. Not only do you have to be over 21, the law says you must be able to PROOVE you are over 21.

I rarely get asked for ID anymore (yep, an old fart), but technically, if I was drinking in a bar without proper ID, I would be breaking the law. Some bars (notably in college areas) actually ask everybody for ID just to cover their butts!

The law has changed over here in the last year or so regarding who’s responsibility it is if an under age person gets served with alcohol. It is now the responsibility of the bar person who served them to check their ID to make sure they are old enough, they can not only lose their job but be fined also.

Bip. :ph34r:

I rarely get asked for ID anymore (yep, an old fart), but technically, if I was drinking in a bar without proper ID, I would be breaking the law.  Some bars (notably in college areas) actually ask everybody for ID just to cover their butts!

Surely the big give away regarding how old you are would be the greying and thinning hair, the paunch hanging over ones belt and if that wasn’t enough the many bags under ones eyes, nearly forgot, the motor you drive.

None of the above pertains to give away my age.

Bip. :ph34r:

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Pubs closing or closed down