Pubs closing or closed down

Here they can card you if you look under 30. When I buy alcohol from my local Safeway, as it goes through the scanner, the machine beeps to remind the checkout girl to ask for ID. They take one look at me, and you can see them go 'Nah!'

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you stood there and paid that for four drinks then you and the landlord deserve each other...I'd have told them to sod off and walked out.

Apart from, BBC news Sky news RT news wild life stuff Cow-boy films Judge judy The chase Fools and horses last of summer wine Emmerdale Coronatio

Posted Images

I rarely get asked for ID anymore (yep, an old fart), but technically, if I was drinking in a bar without proper ID, I would be breaking the law.  Some bars (notably in college areas) actually ask everybody for ID just to cover their butts!

Surely the big give away regarding how old you are would be the greying and thinning hair, the paunch hanging over ones belt and if that wasn’t enough the many bags under ones eyes, nearly forgot, the motor you drive.

None of the above pertains to give away my age.

Bip. :ph34r:

I resemble that remark!

....and around here, driving an MGB gives me character! LOL

pieinface

• 3 months later...
Guest Anne

Can anybody fill me in on what's happened to all the pubs on Radford Road from Bentinck Road all the way along.

I lived on Hyson Green for a while and can remember I used to go into one of the pubs for a drink and they would serve you a thick hot pork cob with sage and onion stuffing.

It went down a treat with your drink!

Can anybody fill me in on what's happened to all the pubs on Radford Road from Bentinck Road all the way along.

Wasn't aware there was..?

Bip. !englandflag!

Guest Anne

Well naaa I thought you would know about all the pubs in the whole of Notts let alone on Hyson Green..cos I know tons of em ave gone..we used to do a pub crawl from Bentinck Road down to Gregory Boulevard

right up to the one with the statue of the white horse outside.

Sorry about the gif's above...I messed up.

Harvest Pale Ale is it?

Guest Anne

Gosh..I've never ever seen any of them beers before.

Well now..how times have changed and the beer with em.

I think I'll have a Castle Rock Hemlock Bitter me duck! "Cheers"

I love the Elsie Mo label...where did she come from I wonder.

Looking at the Hemlock Stone label brings back many memories of camping right on the top with 'our gang' from Maltby Close.. lots and lots of years ago.

:mouse:

Guest Anne

Looking at all those beers above...do you think I made the right choice asking for Hemlock Ale then?

I bet it tasted soo good!

I could drink one right now..but they won't sell it here vampire2

If you read my above posting Anne love you would see my endorcement of said product and im'e an ex pat (still get real ale here though thank god)

;)

Guest Anne

B) an I bet you tried out a few of the other said products anall while you were there.

Int it lovely to go back un try out all the new products as well as fill up on the old!

Then you go for fish un chips un mushy peas and to the shops to buy pork pie un walnut whips un cream cakes!!

Mind you I haven't managed to get back for years..but I dream!

Well if you ask us nicely we will club together and send you some over LOL

;)

Guest Anne

Oooo can I pleeeease..pretty please have some English beer..pleeeeeeeease.

Honestly I can't ask any nicer than that..

I'm begging and begging and begging.

Canadian beer is pretty awful and it all tastes the same.

Ask Limey...he'll know! unionflag

Canadian beer may be bad - but not half as bad as US beer!

Actually - I thought there were a couple of micro-breweries in the Toronto area that produced pretty good stuff, can't remember the names of them though! When I lived in Mississauga, I used to frequent an Irish pub in Port Credit that, IMHO, sold the best pint of Guinness in North America! (and not bad steak-and-kidney pie as well!)

So a food parcel for Anna then.

My contribution will be a pack of Pork Scratchins.

Or what my mate calls them elephant foreskins.

Bip.

I remember the Hemlock Stone and walking to Strelley Broad Oak.

Every year we'd collect the big pine cones that fell from the tree.

"Those were the days my friend...."

Do you remember the Hemlock Stone being "vandalised" in the Sixties? when the bottom half was painted white overnight???

Well - it was my brother in law ;) and some of his mates from University.

Seems like the emulsion has actually protected the bottom half (all washed off now of course) as it looks lighter than the top bit.

Oh - me and Den enjoyed a few HP's on Saturday. Hope all you expats are jealous smile2

Guest Anne

Yes..I do know what you mean..I've been over the border into the States and some of it is disgustung..it tastes like sour pop with bubbles!!

Still on a hot day eh!!!

I've often been to Port Credit Limey and never found the pub you're talking about..wot is IMHO?????

I know what LCBO means though!

Pork scratchin's will be welcome...altho after what your mate called em..I'll never look at em agen in the same way!

We can occasionally buy em here..but they aren't greasy like the ones we used to buy from the pork butchers..along with potted meat and

polony and pork drippin!

Oh YES..I do remember what 'they' did to the Hemlock Stone..

so at last the truth comes out.

I hope justice is served!!!!!

Ohhh yes...I for one am jealous and I am sure all the rest of us ex pat's are as well..

You needn't ave towd us about the HP's you know!!!!

compusmash

Do you remember the Hemlock Stone being "vandalised" in the Sixties? when the bottom half was painted white overnight???

I remember that pub (NAME?) at the junction of Mansfield Road Hucknall Road having its statue Painted.

Opposite the Savoy Hotel ?

;)

The name was in my head when I started writing this but its gone now .

p.s Pork Scratshings are known as Lepers Ears over here LOL

Opposite the Savoy Hotel ?

;)

The name was in my head when I started writing this but its gone now .

The Grosvenor

For Anne:

IMHO - In My Humble Opinion

Can't remember the name of the pub in Port Credit - but it is on the south side of the main road (Lakeshore), just west of the intersection with Hurontario. You can't miss it - and I know it was still in business last September!

Edit - just found it - "The Harp". Even has a web site: http://www.theharppub.ca/

Let us know next time you are going to be in Windsor - we'll come over and meet you for a pint! - We can always use it as an excuse to buy cheap gin on the way back!

Send me your e-mail address. Mine is eric@us-marshalls.net

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Pubs closing or closed down