Pubs closing or closed down

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you stood there and paid that for four drinks then you and the landlord deserve each other...I'd have told them to sod off and walked out.

Apart from, BBC news Sky news RT news wild life stuff Cow-boy films Judge judy The chase Fools and horses last of summer wine Emmerdale Coronatio

Posted Images

Nice picture Den did you take that ?

B) No red I used one of yours from another posting, made it smaller so it fitted on me tiny screen and posted it to Photobucket from there onto here.

Why do you ask is it copyrighted?

Bip.

Nice picture Den did you take that ?

B) No red I used one of yours from another posting, made it smaller so it fitted on me tiny screen and posted it to Photobucket from there onto here.

Why do you ask is it copyrighted?

Bip.

No......................But i did dint the bonnet of my mates car taking that .. there was an 8 foot fence around it .

• 2 weeks later...

The HALL PARK TAVERN in bulwell is now boarded up. Haven't got any pictures but I'll try to get one soon.

This was my local from the day it opened until the day they closed it to upgrade the kitchen - never to be the same pub again. Sad day then and even sadder now.

Arthur(sp)? used to keep a great pint of Shippo's.

This was my brother's local too. I'm surprised it's boarded up, doesn't seem 5 minutes since it was remodelled. I drove past the other week.

Was that the big one on the road from M1 junction 26 to Hucknall? I used to frequent it in the the early 90's just after it was 'done up'

But i did dint the bonnet of my mates car taking that .. there was an 8 foot fence around it .

;) I did wander how you managed to take that picture, thought you actually kept stepladders in car. :rolleyes:

Bip.

I went past the Hall Park Tavern today and it was open.

There were lights on inside and the doors were open.

I asked Mrs Frank about this and she agrees - when she passed it this afternoon it was, as you say, open with lights on inside.

But she also insists that it was boarded up last week?

Pity I didn't go down and take some shots last Friday :(

One side of the Park Hall Tavern is boarded up - the rest is open and a new manager has recently taken over.The boarded side is that facing the park.

How many watering holes are left to supply the multitudes living in Bestwood Park, Top Valley Rise Park etc. Thousands and thousands of people with no where to go, Rumour has it that the Charles 2nd is to re open soon but there are also rumours that its going to be turned into a mosque...... what will be needed is a first aid post to cater for all those injured or killed by the barmy changes being built by the council at present on Bestwod Park Drive in the name of causing congestion so that road charging is accepted easier.

While passing the other night through Canning Circus couldn’t help noticing that the Falcon was closed, has this pub Secom too to the pressures of the anti drinking and smoking brigade….would make a good place to site a mosque.

Bip.

How many watering holes are left to supply the multitudes living in Bestwood Park,

Personally I don’t care about how many are left what I do care about is the quality of beer these establishment sell.

Last Wednesday I would normally go to the club in the evening but I thought to myself I would go to the Bell on Tamworth road instead, just to see what beers they sell.

Surprise, surprise there wasn’t one hand pull beer on, in fact there was only one bitter on and that was that well established favourite namely John Smiths super dooper chilled rubbish, the one when you have drank your first pint your stomach has shrunk to the size of a golf ball.

Ok I bought a pint; it cost me over two squid for a glass of bubbles which when settled never tasted of ought. Ok it might have been my taste buds not wanting to taste ought, this isn’t the first time they have rescued me from this awful swill.

Why o why did I buy it, well any port in a storm and at least there was some alcohol in it. Needless to say I supped it and headed for the club in which I would normally drink Hardy and Hansons dark which it to has come several hundred miles to be drunk.

Can you imagine my surprise when I saw they had stuck on a new bitter, normally they have pedigree, Manfield Bitter and some other rubbish, but this time they were selling Speckled Hen at £1-86 a pint.

Normally I wouldn’t touch it, but after that slush puppy in the bell I was desperate to try anything anew and at least it couldn’t be any colder than the last pint I tried.

But it was, as cold as a polar bears nose it was, had to tear me bottom lip from the glass before I could put it down.

Why o why do they do it? Why do they put bitter through a chiller, is it just laziness so as they don’t have to worry about the condition of the bitter or dose it mask the taste of one that might be a little long in the tooth, who knows?

It is a well known fact that out here in the back and beyond of long Eaton and Sawley there are a multitude of watering holes all selling beers shipped in from hundreds of miles away all pampering to what they think the general drinking public wants and in the majority of cases they are right because I believe most people out here in hop-less-ville wouldn’t know a good beer if a barrel of one hit them on the head.

Even though one of my locals, I use that term very loosely, has a beer festival every year whereby hundreds of people attend doesn’t sell any local beers at any other time for the rest of the year. Must admit though they do sell cask beers but it has to travel you guessed it hundreds of miles to be one.

I have come to the conclusion that if things don’t improve on the beer front around here I will be looking for pasture anew, or I may invest all my money into setting up a watering hole of my own…selling you have guest it Local beers.

By the way my new brew is in the barrel and should be ready to drink in several weeks, I was hopeful it would have taken longer but hey ho never mind there should be time left before crimbo to start a new one.

:Vampire: Bip.

Den - For once, you should have been here on Sunday. Gorgeous day, so Mary says "lets take the MG for a ride and find a beer and some lunch". Sounds good to me, so I warm up the old gal (the MG, that is), and off we go - destination unknown.

After driving in a roughly westerly direction for several miles, Mary says "we could go to the Michigan Brewing Company" - "Good idea", says I, and points little red MG in said direction.

MBC is a micro-brewery, with a pub attached, located in Webberville, Michigan. In the pub they typically have ten to fifteen beers on tap - all brewed right there, and I guarantee there is one to suit your taste. I can vouch for their "Big Mac" - an amber coloured, lightly hopped, but not too malty, bitter (5% ABV) - of which I quaffed two pints.

On prior visits I have had thier porter, nut brown, sunset lager, and stout - all very good!

Their food is simple, but very good, sandwiches and all the peanuts you can eat free! Sorry you missed it!

http://www.michiganbrewing.com/mbc.htm

Almost forgot - they also have a version of "ring the bull" - just like at the "Trip"!

'fraid not. I'm told it doesn't travel well.

AND - by the time it got here, its carbon footprint would be HUGE! I just wouldn't be able to drink it in good conscience!

;)

I would (But I would do it with a trace of remorse , by the time i'de finished it I would have forgotten why I was sad LOL)

!rotfl!

Nice web site put in my order for several crates but was told it would be impossible to ship it over.

Changing subject slightly I have a neighbour who has a red MG, don’t know the model, he too airs it off at the weekends where to I don’t know.

Bip.

• 2 weeks later...

Tragedy!

And look at the treats we will be missing now.

I am just fated never to see "the Sneinton Elvis"

And that poor girl!, She'll catch er death!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Pubs closing or closed down