Pubs closing or closed down

We traveled down the A453 yesterday on a family visit to Gedling, I must say it is like a different area all together. We have been using this route into Nottingham since 1960s and I hope the widening of the road cuts down on the accidents. We have seen and had some close misses on this stretch of the journey. It is a terrifying feeling when you see some silly devil coming towards you on your side of the road, overtaking the oncoming traffic and just making it back in time to miss collision. We had heard that there was going to be a retail outlet and Restaurant on The Man Of Trent site, but nothing official.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you stood there and paid that for four drinks then you and the landlord deserve each other...I'd have told them to sod off and walked out.

Apart from, BBC news Sky news RT news wild life stuff Cow-boy films Judge judy The chase Fools and horses last of summer wine Emmerdale Coronatio

Posted Images

Yes, went by yesterday. It won't be long before there is another damn Care Home springing up.

• 2 weeks later...

I was astounded to see The Vernon Arms at the junction of Forest Rd and Waverley St is now a Sainsburys local!

I used to go in there a lot as they served a great pint of Mansfield bitter.

There might have been others, but Dario was a long standing landlord/ tenant there.

• 1 month later...

Jaguar at Stapleford due for demolition.

The memories I have of going to the Jaguar are with my ex Father In Law Bill Matthews aka " The Cheeseman" anybody on here remember him? He used to pull up in the car park open up his car boot and the next thing they came out the pub and descended on his car like a plague of locust

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm compiling a list of Nottingham(within city boundaries)public houses in 1950 with addresses & land lords/ladies names using Kelly's directory.

I have so far got to "J" total 150.

• Upvote 2

I'm compiling a list of Nottingham(within city boundaries)public houses in 1950

You'll get the entire city on a sheet of A4 nowadays.

If you're looking to be absoluterly comprehensive it might be worth checking if the County Archives has the city licensing bench records for that year.

• 4 weeks later...

My school friend lived at the Cocked Hat. It was a very nice pub then, but boy did it go downhill in latter years. Fights, fires and mayhem. Bill Frame wouldn't have stood for any of that [he was my friend's dad, the landlord]

That must have been Val Frame I remember her.

• 4 months later...

Been in several times in its early days. A complete dump. Well worth a makeover !!!!!

Not sure of the future for the Castle Pub near the Ice Stadium but the outgoing licensee is moving to the former Lamp PH at the bottom of Sneinton Road.

Builders are in at the moment and it will be renamed the New Castle Inn. It looked like another lost pub but seems like someone has recognised the potential of the investment in the old fruit and veg market re creative workspaces.

So could be one closing and an older one opening up again.

• 4 weeks later...

Birchin20St2.20White20Hart20Gluepot_zps0

wonder if any members remember this pub, The White Hart, locally known as The Gluepot, bottom of Babworth ST. Carrington.

The Castle replaced the original pub called The Nottingham Castle, a Tennants house, in the early 60`s and was a typical characterless "modern" pub.

My Gran and Great Aunt along with a few of their neighbours were relocated from Comyn St and Gt Freeman St to the Newark Crescent area and The Castle drew quite a few regulars from there.

Good to see that the place still keeps a tradition of an unaccountable name!

• 1 month later...

The Castle replaced the original pub called The Nottingham Castle, a Tennants house, in the early 60`s and was a typical characterless "modern" pub.

My Gran and Great Aunt along with a few of their neighbours were relocated from Comyn St and Gt Freeman St to the Newark Crescent area and The Castle drew quite a few regulars from there.

This seems to be the original Castle, before the 1960's box.

castle_1.jpg

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Pubs closing or closed down