Pubs closing or closed down

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you stood there and paid that for four drinks then you and the landlord deserve each other...I'd have told them to sod off and walked out.

Apart from, BBC news Sky news RT news wild life stuff Cow-boy films Judge judy The chase Fools and horses last of summer wine Emmerdale Coronatio

Posted Images

The Oxclose at Bestwood is now boarded up.

Well, that's a turn up for the books :smile:

Looks like Viccy has wrecked another one then.

let's list 'em - the one's I know, please feel free to add others

1) Charles II (First time)

2) Royal Hunt

3) Charles II (Second time)

4) Oxclose

I remember talking to her during the last few days at the Charlie - 'the Oxclose is much better - barrels are cheaper to buy, we've got an outside eating /drinking area where we can do a roaring trade in summer' etc etc

Took less than 2 years this time. Anyone know where she is now??

Well, to answer my own question:

Son of said landlady now running the Druids

Said Landlady running the one at the top of South Sherwood Street - one of BIP's favourites I believe (name escapes me at the mo)

• 3 weeks later...

I went past there a couple of weeks ago as it was going down and reminisced (With a tear in my eye) about the pints I'd supped on the way to A Notts game, and then realised I'd actually never been in.

!jumping!

Shocked to see Brownes in Hockley closed down - A revolution when it first opened in the 80s.

The Hockley bubble may have burst noticed the contemporary furniture shop Nash Interiors closed & Dim T the Chinese Japanese Vietnamese & Thai restaurant boarded up & the gym @ the bottom of hockley that Mad Lizzy from GMTV had somthing to do with boarded .

Started off in Bunkers Hill , had to drink up quick the place stunk of p1$$ ?

Bunkers Hill, it holds many happy memories, that’s were I first started to appreciate real ale, it was the place where I had my first pint of JHB from Oakhams brewery not to dissimilar from Harvest pale from castle rock brewery.

After the original founder and owner was bought out the place started to go down hill even though after the original owner left it was refurbished, it was never the same after that and in my opinion the refurb ruined the ambience of the place even the regulars like myself left for pastures anew.

It wasn’t long before it was brought to my attention that the original owner of the Bunkers had opened another watering hole selling beers from the smaller brewer namely the Moot Hall on Carlton road just round the corner from Bunkers.

This place was again bought out and refurbished and again in my opinion lost it’s atmosphere for me. I kept on going in until again it was bought to my attention that the original owner of the Moot and Bunkers had taken over the king Billy just three hundred yards from the Moot and again was selling beers from small breweries.

This time the licence was in his lads name but most nights the original owner of the Moot and Bunkers can be seen serving behind the bar even though he is a millionaire.

Bip.

Shocked to see Brownes in Hockley closed down - A revolution when it first opened in the 80s.

The Hockley bubble may have burst noticed the contemporary furniture shop Nash Interiors closed & Dim T the Chinese Japanese Vietnamese & Thai restaurant boarded up & the gym @ the bottom of hockley that Mad Lizzy from GMTV had somthing to do with boarded .

To my mind Hockley has never really taken off in the thirty or so years that Hockley (or more accurately Carlton Street/Goose Gate) has been promising to take off.

But Brown's closed: I can't believe it. Haven't been in for about 25 years but back then that place was the acme of 80s wannabewinebardom.

Bull and Butcher in Bulwell, now razed to the ground,

The Lord Nelson, Bulwell, closed and set on fire twice,

Scots Greys, closed, opened, closed, renamed and opened, now boarded up and closed again,

And plenty of others are up for sale or new lease, the once thriving pub network is on it's way out in Bulwell, there has been a rumour for a long time now that a Witherspoons is to open where the old Wilkos was, can't see it happening though :(

Scots Greys, closed, opened, closed, renamed and opened, now boarded up and closed again,

Been a long time since I went there, it used to have a really good folk music scene.

Been a long time since I went there, it used to have a really good folk music scene.

Donkey's years since we went in, was a wedding do I think ?

We don't go out now, especially locally, too damn dangerous, we went out for a couple of Guinness Christmas lunch, down to the Moon and Stars for a bit of a family get together, the place was half empty, the last time we went there for no reason at all my hubby ( then 65 ) was slapped about a bit and my son ( who suffers with epilepsy) was beaten senseless for going to his Dad's defence, this so called gang of tough guys thought they ruled Bulwell, arseholes the lot of em, it put paid to our usual quiet Sunday night drink, we wait 'til we are away in France now to go out for a few !cheers!

Sad state of affairs is that Maggie when you cant go for a quiet pint.

When the Scots re-opened did they keep the boxing ring? used solely to iron out local disputes among the local riff raff.

Was named last year within the top ten of Britains hardest pubs.

That was a few years ago Mickety when that was filmed. The guy in the ring was Reg a well known local now living in Spain, the landlord was Bill Gavin. It changed to a Carribean style pub but didn't last long.

That was a few years ago Mickety when that was filmed. The guy in the ring was Reg a well known local now living in Spain, the landlord was Bill Gavin. It changed to a Carribean style pub but didn't last long.

That's 'cos the owner/landlord is currently doing 3 years at Her Majesty's Pleasure. Was called the Venue. Same bloke that took over the Duke last year.

Didn't have a boxing ring installed though, only a punch ball machine boombox2

That's 'cos the owner/landlord is currently doing 3 years at Her Majesty's Pleasure. Was called the Venue. Same bloke that took over the Duke last year.

Wondered why it closed so soon after opening :Shock:

There was defo a boxing ring Frank when the pub was featured on Bravo last year, not been in there since the 70s and it was a dive back then.

There was defo a boxing ring Frank when the pub was featured on Bravo last year, not been in there since the 70s and it was a dive back then.

Mickety

I meant one of these. http://www.boxerfun.co.uk/ He had one in the Venue and the Duke. He reckoned it made about £2000 a week

The original Scotts Grey had the ring upstairs as featured on Sky TV. The pub was then taken over by Dion and name changed to the Venue, he also had the dosa and installed a punchball machine. The dosa is now run by Aljay and is sinking fast.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Pubs closing or closed down