Pubs closing or closed down

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you stood there and paid that for four drinks then you and the landlord deserve each other...I'd have told them to sod off and walked out.

Apart from, BBC news Sky news RT news wild life stuff Cow-boy films Judge judy The chase Fools and horses last of summer wine Emmerdale Coronatio

Posted Images

I lived on Garnet St from 1948 until about 54, the pub was on the corner of Gordon Rd and Garnet St. A lovely old building long gone.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

the Blue Orchid was built by a builder called Les Cooper for his private house , built a few houses on Bramcote Hills too

• 3 weeks later...

Years ago there used to be 8 friends go out every Saturday night, we would look in the Evening Post for any pup that had music (not juke box) we even use to go as far as Ruddinton, just for a piano playing.

Now the other night on Telly were Chaz and Dave did any one see them?, they were in a bar and yes it was great just like it use to be. It even had the master and myself tapping our feet, maybe this is where pubs have gone wrong or is it time to move on and be like our continent friends?

Me !! give me the old pubs anytime.

• Upvote 1

I agree with you, mary1947. Chas and Dave create a great atmosphere with their music and singing and everyone sings along and joins in the fun. When I was in my teens there was always pubs with groups playing. Whether you liked Rock & Roll, Blues, Jazz, or other, there was always a pub where you could go to for a good night out. :)

This closed down over 45 years ago so I'm a bit late off the mark, but PTP seem to have found a new picture of it. Looked like a place which had 'characters'. It was on the way to and from the old Broad Marsh bus station and I walked past here many times before the construction of the shopping centre.

tower.jpg

Went past The Nags Head and Plough, at Stapleford this morning, demolished, I think the land is going to be part of the new Aldi, that they are building

Aye, sad; but the bottom line is there'll be a damn sight more money made in that supermarket than ever there was at the pub.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

£225k you would have to sell a lot of beer to get a "return" on your money.

We are suffering the same problem in Loughborough two pubs closed have closed in the area the where I live(The Gate & Jack O' Lantern) both are being "converted"

I have lived in Loughborough for 45 years & in that time over half the pubs have closed. noblue

Get out there more then bubble! Keep em viable.

• Upvote 1

The jack O' Lantern the beer was crap(Burtonwood)

The gate was very cliquey if you face didn't fit .............................?

I do like The Organ Grinder, Swan in the Rushes, Generous Briton & the new micro pub(Needle & Pin) hellothere

You don't need to get a 'return' on the £225,000, it's an appreciating asset so your 'return' can be property value. A property developer I know started out opening a coffee bar. After 3 years he wanted to re-mortgage so had it revalued. Immediately he realised he'd made more on the property value than making and selling coffee so sold up and started buying, renovating and selling houses. In 10 years he went from being a penniless student drop-out to buying a £550,000 house.

A 3 bedroom pub such as the Portland could rent 2 of the bedrooms out for probably £700 a month or more. A £200,000 mortgage would cost you in the region of £1,000 a month. If you occupied the other bedroom as landlord you're living there for £300 a month and should be able to make a living out of the bar. You don't have to sell all that many pints to make it work but too many pubs with accommodation aren't making the most of it.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Pubs closing or closed down