Pubs closing or closed down

6 minutes ago, Bubblewrap said:

Loughborough is quite expensive for housing I think I've saved about £35k by moving to Nottingham.:)

We bought a house there when our sons were at the University. We kept it for about 10 years, did very well out of rental income and made a tidy profit selling it.  When we were replacing carpets, beds, cooker and fridge (EVERY SUMMER!) the town was dead. That's the problem with small university towns, buzzing for 30 weeks and nothing happening for the rest of the year.   I did feel sorry for the townspeople who had to put up with the students.  

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you stood there and paid that for four drinks then you and the landlord deserve each other...I'd have told them to sod off and walked out.

Apart from, BBC news Sky news RT news wild life stuff Cow-boy films Judge judy The chase Fools and horses last of summer wine Emmerdale Coronatio

Posted Images

1 hour ago, denshaw said:

The Winning Post at Clifton is going to be demolished.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/winning-post/story-30296253-detail/story.html

The pub closest to where I lived for more than 20 years.......but I never went in it.  It always looked a bit basic and spartan - or maybe that was some of the people in it.

• 3 months later...

It has been closed for several years now, but was being used by Asians as a martial arts centre up until recently. They've done considerable renovation too. I've also seen car body repairs taking place round the back, and the rooms / flats above seem to be occupied. 

I pass it many times a week, and there always seems to be some activities going on.

Perhaps a word with one of your new neighbours will shed some light on its future.

On 30 July 2017 at 5:22 PM, taxi ray said:

Middletons at Wollaton

Not sure what's up with that pub it's always struggled too get folk in? It might just be in the wrong place? Can't see it re-opening this time get 20/30 houses on that site.

#1230 I think trying to be clever may have been their downfall, I'd drank in their with my mates the beers superb, but take your wife out who don't drink beer or lager or wine, I asked for a Malibu based drink for Mrs Red on the two occasions I took her in, looked at me like no one should ever drink Malibu, so we left? 

I do think some of these real ale pubs could learn a lesson from its closure, not everyone likes real ale? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry about the butchers closing down, I think that its not only the tram but the big supermarkets that now sell every thing, my uncle was a butcher and he could not keep pace with them. 

Pubs closing down?

Myself I think that a lot of the pubs lost trade when the drink drive laws came in. (not that this was a bad thing) 

Also when juke boxes came in and the old piano stopped playing, and people getting up to sing (as you could also join in). Now we have to watch it on telly not the same though is it?

11 hours ago, mary1947 said:

and the old piano stopped playing, and people getting up to sing (as you could also join in). 

If I went in a pub and found that happening, it would probably make me leave and look for somewhere else.  It's almost as bad as unruly kids.

• Like 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Pubs closing or closed down