Pubs closing or closed down

I drove down Gipsy lane Draycott, the other day.

In the 70's there was a hotel down there, Remind me of the name?

We used to drive out to a nightclub there?

Well its still there. just. Its fenced off and the diggers are there ready for demolition.

Looks like it might be earmarked for a new housing developement!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you stood there and paid that for four drinks then you and the landlord deserve each other...I'd have told them to sod off and walked out.

Apart from, BBC news Sky news RT news wild life stuff Cow-boy films Judge judy The chase Fools and horses last of summer wine Emmerdale Coronatio

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Mick will know Angi.........you will have to wait until he gets back from his hols

• 7 months later...

Last I heard the South Notts Hussars was going to be pulled down and a block of flats (now called 'apartments' - sounds better!) was going to be built there. I think the local populous lodged objections and so we await the outcome of the hearing, but it will still be pulled down and the flats built, the local councillors never listen to the views of the people who put them in office! As I recall, the pub was crap anyway, nver anyone in when I went in - maybe folk were trying to tell me summot! smokingkillsunionflag

• Upvote 1

Did they have a drug problem at The Early Bird? It could have been vandals.

A couple of my relations used to go in there when it was a decent pub. They would come to see us on Saturday night and then go for a drink on the way home. He had nothing but praise for the place when it was run by a particular landlord and land lady.

A ;)

• 8 months later...
Mick will know Angi.........you will have to wait until he gets back from his hols

Thanks for the images Red, Keep em coming.

How would I know about Bread & Lard island pubs Caz?

• 3 months later...

Hi there. Now I've requested this forum, I'd better start the ball rolling.

Heard from my brother in Rise Park, that the Barleycorn and The Red Lion, both in Cinderhill, have or are going to, close down. My mother would turn over in her grave if she knew her watering holes were gone! Brother also said, that lots of pubs are closing at a rate of knots. I know the Cocked Hat in Aspley had gone, also the Duke of Newcastle in old Basford. Sad goings on.

• Like 1

Katy,

Regularly went into both pubs, but not since the 60's....

Barleycorn was a classic 'bring your own sawdust' establishment and the Red Lion was noted for the 1930's cane chairs in the lounge....comfy seats though!

Perhaps the Lion occupies a prime site...be interesting to see what takes its place.

Cheers

Robt P.

Hi Katy

The Red Lion has definately gone,I noted that on my visit,it will be interesting to see what goes in it's place.

I saw the Broxtowe pub is still there, my mum just celebrated her birthday with lunch there & apparently the food was great.

I have to say I was impressed with the Lace Market area,lot's of good venues to drink & dine,I had to get my heels replaced whilst I was there,say no more.............!! Loved the vodka bar too,but too many young un's for me to feel comfortable,gave me a shocking head ache too.

The Whitemoor pub is also quite nice to visit,beer garden for the summer & cosy fire for the colder nights.

The Newcastle pub on Nuttall Rd,was a little seedy to say the least,we waited 5 minutes for the barman to serve us ,the place was empty but he had to finish his conversation with his mate...........well cheers to you too LOL! ;) .

Hi Caz, Welcome back.

You just can't get good help, can you! Reminds me of the time a few years back we came over and I ordered a port and lemon in a pub in London. I got just that, a glass of port with a piece of lemon floating in it.

I should have included Whitemoor in the estates, sorry.

Kath

I remember back in the 70s sometime the yanks came to Wollaton park for some kind of 2nd world war reunion and arranged to visit the cocked hat as part of their tour of old haunts, well after a great day out at Wollaton the yank vets arrived a couple of hours later than scheduled and appologised for being a bit late, at this some wag replied "well you were late in 1940 so whats new?" As you can imagine a re-enactment of some 2nd world war battle took place for the next half hour or so, but it eventually finished on a friendlyer note. Strange sense of fun the American GIs.

My school friend lived at the Cocked Hat. It was a very nice pub then, but boy did it go downhill in latter years. Fights, fires and mayhem. Bill Frame wouldn't have stood for any of that [he was my friend's dad, the landlord]

• Upvote 1
My school friend lived at the Cocked Hat. It was a very nice pub then, but boy did it go downhill in latter years. Fights, fires and mayhem. Bill Frame wouldn't have stood for any of that [he was my friend's dad, the landlord]

I remember the name Bill Frame and recall seeing him once of twice outside sorting the unruley(sp?) customers out. I was too young to drink when he was landlord.

My mum and dad used to go to play bingo in the back room of the Hat most weekends - and the Hat is at the top of Sherbourne Road which I used to walk down every day to the William Crane Secondary School for Boys.

Once had a girlfriend called Betty Hind who used to live opposite the Hat. :Kiss:

Bill Frame was a well built man. He used to play goalie for Leicester City before becoming a landlord, first in Leicester, then the Hat. He kept his strong Scottish accent. I remember a big room upstairs for functions, and a garden in back.

Ayup Katyjay,

Does anyone know if the Pelican on Bracebridge drive is still open? I used to frequent that establishment in the first half of the 70s, They once had a one armed barman by the name of Roy, a really nice chap always had time to talk to you about any subject.

It was also an old haunt for many of the miners from Wollaton colliery, You could buy anyone of them a pint and they would come out with all sorts of old pit tales even to the point of crawling under the tables and under the over hanging bar top to re-enact some rescue or other underground occurence, True characters and heroes everyone of them the likes of which will never grace this planet again, but what memories.

Cheers

Roger

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Pubs closing or closed down