Pubs closing or closed down

On 15/11/2017 at 6:08 AM, radfordred said:

Fat Cats in Sherwood formally Chestnut Tree, don't go its shut down! 

Was a regular haunt on trips home a few years back when still the 'Chestnut'.  A classic example of how a change of ownership can make or break an establishment.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you stood there and paid that for four drinks then you and the landlord deserve each other...I'd have told them to sod off and walked out.

Apart from, BBC news Sky news RT news wild life stuff Cow-boy films Judge judy The chase Fools and horses last of summer wine Emmerdale Coronatio

Posted Images

Plenty of topics to post this in, including Ghost Signs. I was tootling through several villages north of Newark this lunchtime, and one being Winkburn. Passing one house, I noticed that it looked like an old pub. Sure enough, on one side was a ghost sign declaring Bradley's Ales. Anyone got any ideas regarding the name of the pub, and  the whereabouts of Bradley's Brewery ?

4 hours ago, FLY2 said:

I was tootling through several villages north of Newark this lunchtime, and one being Winkburn. Passing one house, I noticed that it looked like an old pub. Sure enough, on one side was a ghost sign declaring Bradley's Ales. Anyone got any ideas regarding the name of the pub, and  the whereabouts of Bradley's Brewery ?

Never been there, and don't know anything about it, but at times like this thank the person who invented Streetview.

XmHwlm6.jpg

• Upvote 1

I’ve lived in the area for 56 years and I think I’ve been in most of the local pubs but I don’t remember that one. The nearest is the tiny “Beehive” in nearby Maplebeck and the locals there don’t welcome “strangers in these parts”. You feel like you’ve intruded in a private party.

We got the same impression when we popped into the Black Horse at Caythorpe a few years ago.  The locals studied us as if we’d got two heads, but they were a bunch of country bumpkins anyway so we’ve had no wish to go back there, it might be catching.  :crazy:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I suppose they're like the characters in League of Gentleman. 'Are you local?'

I think it’s the same in all the pubs round here in theTrent Valley. Very parochial. Strangers not welcome. After “early doors” the pubs are dead. Ferry at Hazleford is an old folks home. Both Thurgarton pubs have gone. The Crown at Rolleston is an Indian Restaurant. The Fox at Kelham is shut. I meet some friends in a Southwell pub on a Monday but without us it would be quiet. The price of beer doesn’t help.

Gurkha One at the Crown Rolleston is a fabulous award winning Indian restaurant.  They used to be near us and needed bigger premises, we were so sorry to see them move up to Rolleston but we do go over there now and again.  Really lovely family who have brought the village pub back to life. 

Although I'm not much of a boozer nowadays I live close to Southwell and I can think of 9 pubs there, 8 of which are very close to each other and the really excellent Final Whistle (a proper pub with snacks but no main food served) just a little further out which has just won camra pub of the year for the district. My front door is about 30 yards of an excellent village pub and there is The Bromley Arms not far from me which stands beautifully on a lovey part of the Trent. None of them seem to be struggling to survive.

• Like 2

Managed to track down Bradley's Brewery. It was in Nottingham Rd, Ripley...... Another one sorted !

Read that too. They were operating from 1925ish till about 55ish. I'm assuming they had more than one site.

Well done. Cracked it then....... Next !

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/03/2018 at 4:57 PM, IAN123. said:

The info i found on T. Bradley Losco

Brewers..they were based on Northgate Basford and bought out by Shipstones.

The John Borlaise Warren was at one time a Bradley's pub

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Pubs closing or closed down