Pubs closing or closed down

1 hour ago, IAN123. said:

old Bus Depot this year in Sherwood

The Samual Hall .... Agreed shocking place to get served ..... That's when I did one last meet up, there was no chance of me getting served this century.

Mrs Red drags me in The Slug & The Revolution both on Forman Street, staff to busy mixing 2 for 1 cocktails to serve any beer,  I'd like rip all the pumps off the bar & smash all the optics, when we do go out she's on bar duties ........ Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgg! 

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you stood there and paid that for four drinks then you and the landlord deserve each other...I'd have told them to sod off and walked out.

Apart from, BBC news Sky news RT news wild life stuff Cow-boy films Judge judy The chase Fools and horses last of summer wine Emmerdale Coronatio

Posted Images

Nothing finer than a good Barman........one of my sons was a barman in Nottingham late 80s ,then went to the States for two years,,and did Bars there,,fancied himself as a bit of a Tom Cruise,throwing bottles up and catching em,,then sliding drinks down the Bar,Cowboy Style,,..love to have done that lol.....he grew out of it and is now almost normal,,lives in Australia,,

When i did Bar work in the 60s at the Railway club and The Oxford Highbury Vale the nearest thing to a Cocktail i ever mixed was a ''Brown and Mild''........lol

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Waiting to get served in some pubs is nothing new. Dad took me for a pint back in the mid 60s, early doors in the Fox on Valley Road.

Very clicky pub, we stood at the bar as folks walked in and got a cheery welcome and served before us, I could see the old mans face and knew something was going to happen/be said. Eventually the barman got round to serving us, the old man ordered two pints and as the barman finished pulling the second the first one was covered with a beermat upended on the bar and the beer mat whipped out all to the words of "yo keep your ale and I'll keep me money" add expletives as required.

• Like 3
  • 2 months later...

I worked in the Tudor Court Hotel in Draycott in the early 80's as a night porter - only problem it was seriously haunted! There was a ghost in the dance floor area so I never did my rounds after feeling an awful clammy feeling in there and stayed in the office and was sacked eventually. Anybody else remember it? Has it been demolished?

• Like 2
On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 5:20 AM, benjamin1945 said:

When i did Bar work in the 60s at the Railway club and The Oxford Highbury Vale the nearest thing to a Cocktail i ever mixed was a ''Brown and Mild''........lol

I used to drink cocktails all the time, a poor mans Black Velvet, Guinness and Cider, never saw champers at the local miners welfare

• Like 1

I used to drink that as well Oz,down the Colliers arms Cinderhill, don't drink now,costs too much,can't drink and drive (quite right) and the pub in our village closed about three years ago

Rog

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

As I said in another thread I took a Google drive around some of my old haunts and it is amazing to see how many pubs and working mens clubs and miners welfares I knew are no longer there.

Not many of the pubs I did know have signs showing whose beer they serve, is it because they are now "Free Houses" and not tied to a brewery or that the beer is so bad they are ashamed to advertise it.

The big breweries were forced to sell their tied estates to Pubcos (property companies) by the Thatcher government. The minister who pushed through the Beer Orders, David (later Lord) Young, came from a property development background.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

they are now "Free Houses" and not tied to a brewery

I find that quote very interesting being the Son of a publican & the other side of my family still have a massive interest in quite a few Nottingham public houses, I only know of one pub in Nottingham that is free of any brewery ties, please do tell? 

RR I was commenting on the fact that you don't see many brewery signs on pubs these days

It was Bamber who said 

14 hours ago, bamber said:

The big breweries were forced to sell their tied estates to Pubcos (property companies) by the Thatcher government. The minister who pushed through the Beer Orders, David (later Lord) Young, came from a property development background.

12 hours ago, radfordred said:

I find that quote very interesting being the Son of a publican & the other side of my family still have a massive interest in quite a few Nottingham public houses, I only know of one pub in Nottingham that is free of any brewery ties, please do tell? 

Looking at the article below it looks like the original statement was correct, it's not a Brewery tie it's now a Pubco tie.

It's the Pubcos that now continue to operate the Tied system, low rent in exchange for only selling one brand beer.

Presumably the Pubcos make a bulk purchase from the Brewers then sell on to Landlords in the pubs rented from the Pubcos.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/may/31/tied-up-pub-landlords-battle-law-that-was-meant-to-help-them

• 2 weeks later...

How many pubs have gone, I know some have closed down but can you name any that have changed  and are now know longer there?

The Exchange 

QE

The County Hotel

The Black Boy 

I know these were Hotels but they also had bars.

The Corner Pin

The Sawyers Arms   

The Towers    back of C n; A

Miltons Head 

RIP 

over to member's 

ps also how many first were "Bernie Inns"

The Tower had big white glass globe lighting and more than once  I have seen a beer glass gently arc across the room collecting one of the lights in passing. It was on my way to Broad Marsh and my bus to Clifton so I occasionally dropped in for a last one.

The barman almost broke my wrist once by slamming the bar shutters down as I reached for my drink. I might have had one or two too many and as I turned all hell had broken loose but my only concern was that they didn't spill my beer as I made my way through the melee. Amazingly I made it through the brawlers and drank my beer outside. According to my mate I was totally unconcerned with the mayhem inside and was quite happy with life until a policeman told us to 'disappear sharpish'.

What was the pub called that had topless barmaids?

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Pubs closing or closed down