Pubs closing or closed down

Clinton Arms, corner of Shakespeare Street and North Sherwood Street or was it Dryden Street? My memory is fading.  Anyway it was THE place to see sagging, varicosed veined bosoms  poking out of fastened V necked cardigans. The owners of these nightmare chests mostly had faces that could launch a thousand dustcarts. 

May well have had some traumatic effects on some of the younger students a the Technical College across the road.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you stood there and paid that for four drinks then you and the landlord deserve each other...I'd have told them to sod off and walked out.

Apart from, BBC news Sky news RT news wild life stuff Cow-boy films Judge judy The chase Fools and horses last of summer wine Emmerdale Coronatio

Posted Images

1 hour ago, jonab said:

May well have had some traumatic effects on some of the younger students a the Technical College across the road.

Picture the scene. Group of spotty-faced City Treasury employees on a night out, dragging yours truly out on his first night out with this lot. Kick off in the Dolphin at 5:30 straight from work. Then down to the Clinton Arms for one of their "gentlemens evenings" My mate Tim decided that a better view was to be had from the window sill. Slipped on the spilt beer, and dragged the curtain down as he fell.

We all got chucked out, and I didn't set foot in there again. 

Did go into the one halfway up Sherwood street - what was it called?

One lunchtime, a tall lad in a big black coat and hat was pointed out to me as Paul Mccartney's cousin.

Wonder what happened to him - the bloke who pointed him out?

another ramble with oldphil

• Like 1

Beekay, Several of my lectures at the tech were held in the old University College building on Shakespeare St (the laboratories/room at the end, right, when facing the building). From there we had a good view of the Clinton, also the Registry Office and the Synagogue. I went in the Clinton once - that was enough, thank you very much!

Several years later (when working at Gerard's)  I found out that a number of the "ladies" working on the soap packing lines had secondary employment at several places including the Clinton Arms, as strippers at the Old General on Radford Road and outdoors evening jobs patrolling Gregory Boulevard (not as policemen, I should add).

With the mention of the Newcastle, is that still there? There was a big music (jazz) scene there in the 70s with such notables as Johnny Hobbs as regulars. I used to go there quite often when I lived at 291 Mansfield Rd.

• Like 1

If it is the same building which is now known as The Old Cock, it is indeed still there and, from what I've heard, has a gruesome reputation. I have never been in but drive past it when I visit Ripley. The fish and chip shop further on is well worth a visit!

For a while, I worked in Ripley and was based for a couple of years at Godkin House, among other offices. Too close to the chip shop! With a bit of willpower, limited myself to going there on Friday lunchtimes for a takeaway. Yummy!

If I remember Sunday lunch time at Basford Hall Miners they also had strippers on.

Was this the start of something big?

Used to go to a social club in Kimberly,  I think it was called the Coronation club,(may be wrong, will check on Google maps). There used to be some great live bands and that were my first introduction to 'strippers'. The daftest thing was, it was full frontal but all of 'em covered their nipples with what looked like blue insulation tape ! Put me off for life. That was about 1962.

Just had a look, it were at the top of Noel street.

Many years ago, on a business trip to Germany, I was inveigled to go to a night club where, much to my surprise, they had a live sex show! The place was full of dirty old men looking extremely furtive. The poor guy who did the act looked worn out and I don’t think he appreciated my shout of ‘encore’ at the completion of his performance! :biggrin:

• Like 1

Amber Vandella used to strip at the Calverton Miners Welfare. Despite every trick and excuse in the book I never manage a visit...

I knew the Coronation Club it was indeed on Noel st. my wife was born at 70 Noel st in the big house that backed onto the school ground which was at the side of the Coronation Club they emmigrated to Canada in 1957. The club was run by Baker family in the 50s.

• 1 month later...

Just read The Engineer's post in the corona virus threat and he says his location is within earshot of Little John.

That reminded me that I had just heard that the Little John Inn at Ravenshead (Fishpool) has called last orders for the final time and is now closed.

I remember being taken there by my mum and dad and enjoying the play area in the beer garden with my bag of crisps and bottle of pop.

Much later we used to go there for the Tramps' Suppers. Chicken or scampi and chips in a basket and a few pints of Mansfield bitter.

It will be a sad day when the villages lose their last local.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Pubs closing or closed down