Pubs closing or closed down

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you stood there and paid that for four drinks then you and the landlord deserve each other...I'd have told them to sod off and walked out.

Apart from, BBC news Sky news RT news wild life stuff Cow-boy films Judge judy The chase Fools and horses last of summer wine Emmerdale Coronatio

Posted Images

Might have been a lovely building but a developer thinks they'll get lots of lovely money for the 34 Appartments, some of them with added money for River view. (River Trent at top of picture)

5 floors plus Penthouse on 6th by the river

4 floors on the Wilford Lane block

Plans approved in 2018

QgZ8KMe.png

• 3 weeks later...

Oz, do you remember the Guiness advert with the bird...

"If one Guiness is good for you, imagine what Toucan do".

Sure do Beekay

image.jpeg.a7a4693f71407bcc21b5f7a16dad76ae.jpeg

I love a couple of pints of Guinness, especially with a good steak. It is one of the essential food groups.

We can get it on draught at a lot of pubs here and brewed in Dublin too not like some of the other "fake" imported beers

I hear that the zero alcohol version experiment has not gone well.

I recall the Clinton with affection. When I used to work Traffic from Ollerton, particularly six to two, or nights, the shift could take us to Central nick. Sometimes those shifts were endless. The best call was prisoner transfer from either Retford or Worksop or Mansfield to Central. Even better if it was midday. We knew we were not getting back that day. It could be 7pm at least before we knocked off.  Usually we had to find accommodation in central nick, but I went home to my mum and dad in Hyson Green. We had bomber jackets over our uniforms and went for a pint in the Clinton. Hardly masking who we were. The girls knew who we were and didnt stop. I usually had a couple of pints then went to Mogul E Azam, not that far away.  

• Like 1

Another pub which has closed recently was the Canal Tavern in Worksop. In the 80s is was a coppers pub. The landlord, Ray, welcomed it as there was never ever any trouble. I recall Ray with affection. If we were busy and it got late on a night and we wanted a pint, he would open the back door. Well, who was going to report him to the police? 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Very many years ago the local policeman used to pop into the Full Moon at Morton and join us at the lock in after hours. No doubt we would all be  arrested today.

I doubt it Phil, Pandemic rules accepted, it was a way of maintaining contact with the community. Just having a copper in there drinking quietly could ensure that the pub closed down quietly. especially in rural areas. 

• Like 1

There was certainly no rowdiness in the Moon. It was a respectable crowd. The head brewer from Shipstone’s, the chief engineer at Boots, the manager of Staythorpe power station, the local doctor and dentist and me, to name just a few! 

• Like 2

I remember the Old General, Owd G with great affection.

To this day, I am sure that I am one of very few who have been in Red Square in Moscow and Old Market Square in Nottingham in the same day. I got on the tram, but despite the huge amounts of luggage I had with me, I had to pay a call to the Old General pub.  Last time ever, it was. 

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

There was certainly no rowdiness in the Moon. It was a respectable crowd. The head brewer from Shipstone’s, the chief engineer at Boots, the manager of Staythorpe power station, the local doctor and dentist and me, to name just a few! 

Obviously the ‘go-to’ place for the local captains of industry then ;)

3 hours ago, philmayfield said:

What lol..... We used turn up at the moon about 15/20 bikers and it certainly got abit "rowdy".... We always got a bollocking..... Then it were off down to the Star n Garter at Hazelford then a blast down to the Vol at Caythorpe finally finishing off back at cheggO... When I think back I'm surprised that I'm still alive n kicking

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...
On 1/2/2007 at 12:24 PM, katyjay said:

Hi there. Now I've requested this forum, I'd better start the ball rolling.

Heard from my brother in Rise Park, that the Barleycorn and The Red Lion, both in Cinderhill, have or are going to, close down. My mother would turn over in her grave if she knew her watering holes were gone! Brother also said, that lots of pubs are closing at a rate of knots. I know the Cocked Hat in Aspley had gone, also the Duke of Newcastle in old Basford. Sad goings on.

I remember the cocked hat in Aspley ,me and my brother were only nippers and my dad would say sit on that wall and i will bring you out lemonade and peanuts , whilst he supped inside !

Lived in Bilborough them days Denewood crescent. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/28/2015 at 9:16 AM, Cliff Ton said:

benjamin, the day after you met mick2me and myself at the Company Inn there were thousands on Nottstalgia. They all wanted to know who that bloke was with a suit.

Interesting to see that occasionally Wetherspoons close down some of their establishments. I noticed - and now I've checked - that The Company Inn, just off Canal Street, has been closed for several months.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Pubs closing or closed down