Pubs closing or closed down

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you stood there and paid that for four drinks then you and the landlord deserve each other...I'd have told them to sod off and walked out.

Apart from, BBC news Sky news RT news wild life stuff Cow-boy films Judge judy The chase Fools and horses last of summer wine Emmerdale Coronatio

Posted Images

With the price of drinks in pubs...especially soft drinks.

The smoking ban (Over the top)

Drink drive restrictions (Sensible)

Booze in supermarkets (Irresponsibly cheap)

And the recession.......this thread could be going for quite a while.

Happy Man at Stapleford now boarded up. Not happy anymore!!!

The Happy Man is being demolished prob'ly to make way for a block of flats. The New Kent in Stapleford is shut down. Rumour is Wetherspoons are looking at it. A petition is being drawn up to save the Jaguar on Hickings Lane, Stapleford. That looks like being next. And the biggest problem in the last 2 years has been the no smoking ban in july 2007. Baz

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from a few days 'home' Red cow on Windmill lane Sneinton , gone , Smiths arms , gone , Bendigo , gone, Ginger Tom , now flats, Jubilee , the same. and as mentioned else where ,Toby jug boarded up!!

Why ???

Am I right in thinking toby jug was on carlton hill? And, were you on a pub crawl to discover all the above pubs have closed .... if so where did you end up?

I was only saying the other night to OH that what a shame it is here that there are no real pubs or even bars for that matter!!! The only licensed places are hotels.... not quite the same! Although one particular hotel has a 'english pub' in it called the Dhow and Anchor' with lurvely red leather traditional seats and wood panelling!

What a joke, Mariag! A traditional English pub named after a ship from a muslim non alcohol drinking land.

A dhow (Arabic,دهو) is a traditional Arab sailing vessel with one or more lateen sails. They are primarily used along the coasts of the Arabian Peninsula !englandflag!

What a joke, Mariag! A traditional English pub named after a ship from a muslim non alcohol drinking land.

A dhow (Arabic,دهو) is a traditional Arab sailing vessel with one or more lateen sails. They are primarily used along the coasts of the Arabian Peninsula !englandflag!

I kid you not!!!! Yes, have been on a dhow cruise on the creek! AND you would be surprised how many dish dash wearers were in dhow and anchor when we were there!!!! Guinness drinking as well!!!! I have to say that you do get table service as well ( thats a welcome change from scrumming to the bar in uk lol) Even the bar menu has sticky toffee pud and custard!!!! Mind you it costs an arm and a leg!!!

I had actually taken the kids to Greens Windmill while my mum was making Sunday dinner. There were other pubs closed in the area but I think they have been mentioned elsewhere

World of weird coincidence here, as we passed it , (Still open by the way) I commented to SWMBO that it must be one of the only pubs within a 3 mile radius of home that I had never been in !!

I remember it being a 1970s looking pub from the outside ( never been in).... strange that it is still open? I wonder who frequents it as you say most have shut down although not surprised as when I last saw the area it is very run down.

It was covered in those flags saying , "You can watch live sport here" etc , I was looking out for the boys in their souped up Citroens etc with their Burberry caps on but I didn't see any!!.....LOL

came by the newlands inn at golden valley today, its been shut for a while but today with the sun shining and spring just round the corner the sight of the empty car park and the boarded up doors and windows looked sad to say the least. i remembered the gardeners club and the live bands outside in the summer months, always a good t bone at a good price. not financially viable! which means it couldn,t afford to line the pockets of those who have never done a stroke of work in their lives. the bankers have a lot to answer for. it makes you angry.

I was Wetherspooning again on Saturday, the one at the side of Market square and Lloyds near Hockley. they had sold out of IPA at 99p a pint and replaced it with another brew, bottles of San Miguel for a Quid. Finished up in the Arriba again. How can other pubs compete with Wetherspoons.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Pubs closing or closed down