Pubs closing or closed down

Ha Ha. Good one den. Like it. Nice to see you again the other day with your grandaughter. Pop in the shop again when you are passing. Chrissy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you stood there and paid that for four drinks then you and the landlord deserve each other...I'd have told them to sod off and walked out.

Apart from, BBC news Sky news RT news wild life stuff Cow-boy films Judge judy The chase Fools and horses last of summer wine Emmerdale Coronatio

Posted Images

The 'Old General' on Radford Road is now all boarded up and available for 'Let' to anyone who wants to be a Landlord.

When I past the other day some bloke was 'reclaiming' all of the barrels and cellar gear.

I hope if it closes some council wallah will have the common sense to preserve the statue of the General on the premises. A famous eccentric in his day....

Mentioned under 'customs' in this link.

http://freepages.family.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~taylorsofongar/nottingham.html

Thanks Pooh.

I think we can spare some hosting for that bit... there is other interesting stuff on Poohs link.

A few curious customs loom out from the Past as I look back. I will just mention the one associated with Old General — as Benjamin Mayo was called — a harmless imbecile, yet not without a certain cleverness and gift of humour. It was the custom in my girlhood for the Mickleton jury twice a year to beat the bounds. Their duty was to take the sons of burgesses, while yet schoolboys, along the boundaries of the borough; to point out the limits and to emphasise the teaching by beating each boy; thus, while a lad might forget the spoken word, he would never forget the beating. Furthermore the business of the jury was to remove nuisances and obstructions and prevent encroachments. They must have been very lax as regards the latter duty in far-off days, for houses did continually encroach on the pavements of even our chief streets. Where the east end of the Poultry has been opened out in comparatively modern days, there used to be two narrow lanes — Bottle Lane and Chandler's Lane — ­converging into the north end of Bridlesmith Gate; here it was just possible for only one vehicle to pass. Until recently you might see similar encroachments in High Street.

To return to Old General dear to all school boys — for were they not indebted to him for a day's holiday? I think I see him now making his way to the Grammar School, Stoney Street, with batches of boys he had already released. Our girls' school was on the other side of Stoney Street, so we were well placed to observe the fun. Sentinels at the Grammar School windows soon gave notice of his approach. "Out, Out," they cried. Down went books; helter skelter the lads tumbled into the street to join the General's army — the masters (even had they been so disposed) unable to offer resistance. His troops all concentrated, the General marched them into the Market Place, proud to present them to the jury with the Coroner at the head, for the business of the morning. There is a very excellent portrait at the Castle of Old General in the midst of a group of boys, bare-headed as always; and an exact likeness as to figure, at the Old General Inn, Radford Road. I quite appreciate the feelings of those gentlemen who have put up a tablet to his memory on the top walk of the Cemetery.

...there is other interesting stuff on Poohs link.

Picture anyone?

While driving around Nottingham yesterday, particularly up towards Carlton, I was amazed at the number of pubs that were boarded up and closed down, in fact I was quite shocked. You'll hate me for saying it, but Greene King have a lot to do with this, evil scumbags.

Whilst over for last weeks aviation day I partook of a couple of scoops of the 'wobbly water' down Carlton way and I have pleasure to inform that , Hazel is still "Mine host" at the "Blacks Head" and the Volo and Windsor were both still up and running!!

Forgot to mention that the 'Blacks Head' sells Hearvest Pale now Den, and I made my way through a few just to make sure they were still keeping up the usual standard.

Didn't ask how much as I was in a round with my mate and he was drinking ............cough cough.......Lager Shandy !!!!! and the round cost £5.60!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Noticed some builders working on The Porchester but have no idea on what it's going to be used for?

It looks like it is going to be a bed shop, as there is a notice, regarding recruiting staff on the wall, on the Porchester road side of the pub/

So another 1 bites the dust.

Earlier on in the thread, the Windsor on carlton Hill was mentioned.

Does anyone remember the pub that occupied the site previously, before Tesco etc. was built? I seem to remember it was still the Windsor, and that the Landlord was John Mehew ( I think). His lads helped him, and i think they were doormen at various establishments as well. Used to be a good local boozer.

Interesting, is the running horse in fact still open? all it says is bookings are moved, have a feeling that's the end of live bands there, for years there have been noise complaints, you see in a while a "due to outstanding sucess of new venue" etc announcement.

Whilst I'm at it can any one give me names of Basford Pubs (New or Old) that have shut (mainly in the clearance era)

It was run for a long while by Claud Hill then he was followed in by a certain Mr Bailey, father of Chris, Karl and Richard, who are running thir own little empire somewhere!!

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Pubs closing or closed down