Pubs closing or closed down

Interesting, is the running horse in fact still open? all it says is bookings are moved, have a feeling that's the end of live bands there, for years there have been noise complaints, you see in a while a "due to outstanding sucess of new venue" etc announcement.

Whilst I'm at it can any one give me names of Basford Pubs (New or Old) that have shut (mainly in the clearance era)

Are you talking recently Ash, or what?

Back in the day, there was The Eland, The Rose And Crown, The Star, The Pelham, The Scotholme, and many more.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you stood there and paid that for four drinks then you and the landlord deserve each other...I'd have told them to sod off and walked out.

Apart from, BBC news Sky news RT news wild life stuff Cow-boy films Judge judy The chase Fools and horses last of summer wine Emmerdale Coronatio

Posted Images

Thelast time I was around Netherfield, was around two to three months ago.

Jackie bells was still open. Should do well with the new facility opened next door.

Monday, July 13, 2009A STATE-OF-THE-ART play area with skateboard ramps and a climbing frame designed by children will open tomorrow.

Pupils from Netherfield Junior will sing at the launch to unveil the £290,000 Jackie Bells playing field project.

Under the redevelopment the ball court has been revamped and BMX skateboard ramps and a picnic area have been installed.

Hi Craig thanks for reply, was thinking of the era those closed in, been in all you mentioned, though think in case of The Eland it was a dare! Used to be quite a few up the hill from Northgate, one I recall was The Plough & Harrow, stood for awhile on it's own after surrounding houses went and had "late bar" was about 17/18, after it we shut we went in it, the cellar was a deep big cave hewed from the sandstone, another "explored" though years later was The Mason's in Old Basford, must have done well in earlier years as a massive safe with key still in it left in one of the upstairs rooms. Talking of safes reminds me of time a factory was broken into on Durnford St, would be robbers tipped the safe down the steel external fire escape! this was about 2am! you can imagine the noise! woke no end and cops alerted, think they just did a runner

Correct. Not a bad pint in there when we camped at York last year. Did you google it?

Well done Denshaw.

Yes and no

I knew Guy Fawkes came from York but didn't know of the pub !! (I also know that , contrary to popular belief, his real name was not Guido , but it was in fact Guy !! )

Shame about the Queen Adelaide. Wasn’t there another pub up Swingate?

My Grandad used to keep the Colliers arms at Cinderhill in the 70’s and also had the Westminster on St Annswell road and a pub in Basford nicknamed the bowling green (although I can’t remember its real name) before that. I haven’t a clue if any of these are still there.

I know the Colliers arms has been gone for along time now, it was empty for a while then it miraculously burnt down , cirrca 1990.

Re the bowling green (fox and crown church st basford), my regular haunt for many years, what was your grandad's name? and know why it got that nickname?

Went to Whaley Bridge yesterday,no end of pubs shut down on the way there, nice little country village ones too, Langley Mill has also shut down (does anyone still live there?) with virtually every shop and pub inc Durham Ox and The Midland boarded up or vandalised, burnt out etc

Ayup Phsychogsy, I used to go in the Colliers in the 70s, nice little pub very friendly people that ran it, I remember the landlady always served in the bar, think her name was Dolly or Doll or Dot, long time ago now but did have some good nights in there

Rog

Heard today that the White Swan in Basford closed it's doors for the last time on Saturday. Word is that it is going to be converted into some sort of Restaurant with lettable flats above. Time will tell.

DSC_0001.jpg

And one for Pete rotfl.gif

launch_ipa_logo.jpg

Thanks for your kind responses.

I have spoken to my Dad and he informs me that my Grandad kept The Horse and Jockey at Basford in the 30’s which apparently was moved slightly down the road. He then had the Bowling Green in the 50’s, The Old Wessie in the 60’s and was in the Colliers in the late 60’s to some time in the 70’s.

He was called Charles, but was known as Stan Perry and my Grandma was called Daisy.

Thanks again.

Daisy that was her name not Dolly or Doll, yes I remember her well very friendly as I said, It's a shame those day's can't come back when everyone bid everyone a good night at the end of the evening instead of some clowns waiting in a dark space to mug you, or am I looking through rose tinted glasses? No don't answer that one, I'll keep hold of me memories

Rog

Went in the White Swan late on one tuesday for last few games of big money bingo, my mate said to me "you've missed it all tonight"

I enquired what he meant and he went on to say a regular stood up from chair I was then sitting in to fetch his cards and dropped down dead! "what did they do?" says I, "carted him outside and went on to the snowball"! true story

re: Franks picture of The White Swan. I walked around the outside of that pub tons of times as a kid, going from my grandma's house to Basford Town and never realised what a nice looking pub it was. Never did go inside it though. Hope they do something with it and not just pull it down. A restaurant would be good, but where would you park?

From the NEP:

The White Horse which featured in Alan Sillitoe's Saturday Night Sunday Morning is set to be turned into a takeaway.

Officers at Nottingham City Council are today recommending permission be granted to turn the White Horse Pub in Radford into a hot food takeaway and restaurant.

The pub, in Ilkeston Road, was immortalised after appearing in the opening scene of Sillitoe's classic book.

The two-storey building, which is currently empty, is at the junction with Faraday Road.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Pubs closing or closed down